Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Just starting to bike in the cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just starting to bike in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 10:29 PM

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last weekend I rode 130 miles in temps betweem 17 and 27 F. It's all about prepping and clothing. I was only cold a few times, but I did ride slower than normal. But it was a great time. Just prep for it.
Old 12-18-16, 03:24 AM

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I rode my bike today and it was really cold. (Cold for us at least).

Today the highs were in the low 50s. My outfit was fine. But this evening is in the mid-30s. I biked to a party and on my way I realized I hadn't quite layered properly. I had on a wool blend coat, cashmere blend scarf, dress, slip, tights, leather booties. And some leather gloves. It was in the upper 40s on the way to the party. When I got there my hands and neck were hot and I removed my gloves. My feet were chilled but warmed soon enough.

The way home was a different story. My hands were freezing. I adjusted my scarf to cover my cheeks and nose. As I went on, my face was toasty. I didn't get to hot there till the last block. My hands were shivering for the first half of the ride but felt comfy. My feet were cold and declining. They were numb by the time I got home.

I have been home for 20 minutes, cranking the heat and they are still a little cold. Next time I need to wear another layer for my feet.
Old 12-20-16, 05:38 AM

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6000 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I enjoy riding in 45-50F most, because I refuse to sweat and with these temperatures I can adjust my clothes in a way I can ride pretty fast without sweating. I also enjoy biking really slow in hot weather but that's more about beeing outside on the bike than the actual riding. Around 23 it can get uncomfortable, especially with strong winds. Protecting from the cold isn't really the issue, but it gets more difficult to manage the body heat, it's just too cold to open my coat and sweating can make me really chilly. Hands and ears need to be covered and a scarf needs to be put on with care. It's the ear covering I dislike mosts, because I want to hear all traffic loud and clear.

I have biked at 10F but I don't particularly liked that. The slightest gap between gloves and coat will hurt, and often there's ice or snow on the roads at those temperatures so it can be difficult to get up to a warming speed and getting through snow can be a sweaty job and sweat at those temperatures is not pleasant.
Old 12-20-16, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know how to make my own thread but thought here would work - i need gloves for cycling in freezing weather but can't have wool or fleece or anything like that because it makes me panic (i have severe ocd). Does anyone know of any gloves which are a synthetic type plasticy material - ones you could slide your finger right into with no friction or like maybe which material should i try find? thanks
Old 12-20-16, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
You could wear latex gloves as a liner. Fingers may get a little wrinkly.
Old 12-20-16, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by thenettiemorris
gloves which are a synthetic type plasticy material
I know there are silk glove liners. you ok w that fabric?