Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PXN10 Super Competition From A Thrift Store

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot PXN10 Super Competition From A Thrift Store

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-22, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I wondered if this numbering scheme might apply to my 1979 PXN10E, but the serial on the sticker is pure numerical, 52441xx. Then I found the stamped number, first digit mostly obscured by the riveted chain guide. It appears to start with a B or an 8, followed by 00110xx. So I guess it's January 1980 production (I'd thought it was a '79).

My bike's bottom bracket threading was Swiss, but I was able to nicely (back-and forth using a 1/2" drive breaker bar) force in a 115mm UN71 bottom bracket having alloy cups.
I can appreciate why you would think that it was a 1979 model, given the crankset and centre-pull brakes. The component mix is definitely 1979. However, the frame characteristics are a better match for 1980. It has the fully chromed 1980 fork versus the half painted fork of the 1979 model and the rear gear cable housing stop is brazed under the chainstay versus the top mounting used on the 1979 model. Based on the serial number number and frame characteristics, it would appear to be an incorrectly rebuilt 1980 model, unless it is some strange foreign market variation. The former seems more probable.
Old 06-20-22, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I spent part of the afternoon today stripping the parts off. As usual a few issues presented themselves. Nothing terrible but a couple things on the frame need to be addressed.

As shown in the photos above the seat post is in terrible condition. The reason for that is because it’s only 25.8mm, surely that’s too small. I’m thinking 26.6 — 26.8 is more what I’m looking for but if anyone knows for certain I’d appreciate if you’d chime in here. Anyway I need to buy a reaming tool now because the tube is ovalized, not extremely bad but definitely oval. I’ve got some other seat tubes that need this treatment so it’s a tool I’ve been needing....
Metric Reynolds 531 butted seat tubes typically require a 26.4-26.6mm post. Your post size is significantly smaller than what I would have expected, even with a distorted seat tube. The cinch slot appears to be almost pinched shut in the early photo, so the oval shape appears to be due soley to the undersize post. In the 2nd photo of the seat tube opening, it looks like you've pried the cinch slot open. I'd just deburr the inside of the tube, then pry the opening a little wider, so you can test fit posts past the bottom of the cinch slot, where there should be no distortion. Tightening the cinch bolt with the proper size post inserted should restore the shape of the seat tube.

That post scoring is from more than just and overly tight cinch bolt. There's a substantial burr or foreign material somewhere inside the seat tube. If the scoring is on the back of the post, the culprit is typically a burr on the cinch slot. Scoring on the front of the post is generally from a burr on the vent hole. Poor deburring of the tube opening or foreign material can cause scoring anywhere on the post.
Old 06-20-22, 06:30 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
The dropouts are Simplex and the rear derailleur is Shimano Altus so that should mean the derailleur hanger has been altered. I’m happy that the hanger is still present and usable in some way.
The dropouts look to be later production Simplex, which were threaded and had stops to acommodate non-Simplex derailleurs:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
simplex-do.jpg (21.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 06-20-22, 12:52 PM
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
SR Laprade seatposts were the most common "budget" replacement seatposts used in the 80's.
There must have been millions of them made.
Nothing fancy, just got the job done..... At least they looked OK on most C&V bikes because of the flutes they bothered to cast on them and the rail clamping system is simple and effective.
Absolutely. I found several on very nice upper-mid level bikes.