Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclists Don’t Break Traffic Laws Any More Than Drivers Do

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclists Don’t Break Traffic Laws Any More Than Drivers Do

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 04:33 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
2) make a right turn and when I'm far enough from the intersection, make a U-turn and go back to the intersection and turn right. (U-turns are legal in Toronto. I've seen many motorists including service and construction vehicles make U-turns in the intersection.)
This is a silly, and if I'm not mistaken, still illegal, practice . I'd just go straight through when traffic is clear.
Old 04-15-18, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
This is a silly, and if I'm not mistaken, still illegal, practice . I'd just go straight through when traffic is clear.
I think you'd have a hard time getting a ticket to stick against a cyclist that made a U turn. Some auto rules really don't apply to bikes because we can make tiny turns, occupy lanes too small for cars, roll on and off sidewalks, etc.
Old 04-15-18, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I apply the 3 D's irrespective of my mode of transport.

Is it dumb, dangerous or discourteous? Is so, I don't do it. If not, then it's all good.
Never thought about it in those terms, but that's a pretty good rule of thumb.

And although that might not always keep one strictly within the letter of the law, it will tend to keep one sufficiently within the spirit that sanctions are unlikely.
Old 04-15-18, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
U-turns are legal. I looked it up.

Regardless, you are against it claiming it's illegal but choose to do something else that's also illegal.
Old 04-15-18, 07:16 PM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Regardless, you are against it claiming it's illegal but choose to do something else that's also illegal.
Exactly!
Old 04-15-18, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a cyclist, it's our responsibility to stay away from danger, thus we should obey the traffic laws and same goes with motorcyclists and any drivers out there.
Old 04-15-18, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Olivas
As a cyclist, it's our responsibility to stay away from danger, thus we should obey the traffic laws and same goes with motorcyclists and any drivers out there.
Following the law and avoiding danger aren't always synonymous.
Old 04-16-18, 05:11 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7656 Post(s)
Liked 3,496 Times in 1,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Olivas
A citizens, it is our responsibility to follow the law. Avoiding danger is not part of it ....

As citizens on the road it is our responsibility to obey the laws ... but as sentient beings with some self-preservation drive, we probably act in whatever way seems to best ensure our survival, regardless of the laws.
Old 04-16-18, 11:31 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've never encountered a situation when driving which required me to break a traffic law to be safe. I intend to follow all traffic laws no matter what vehicle I drive and believe I have been very successful at doing so.
Old 04-16-18, 11:40 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I've never encountered a situation when driving which required me to break a traffic law to be safe. I intend to follow all traffic laws no matter what vehicle I drive and believe I have been very successful at doing so.
You've obviously never stopped a motorcycle or bike at a streetlight at 3am when it wasn't heavy enough to activate the trigger to change and no other traffic was around to help.

I used to live by one of those. I suppose you can argue that I could have picked a different path, but the alternative was a couple miles out of my way. I'd simply wait a reasonable amount of time, make sure the road was very clear, and go.
Old 04-16-18, 11:44 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by jefnvk
You've obviously never stopped a motorcycle or bike at a streetlight at 3am when it wasn't heavy enough to activate the trigger to change and no other traffic was around to help.

I used to live by one of those. I suppose you can argue that I could have picked a different path, but the alternative was a couple miles out of my way. I'd simply wait a reasonable amount of time, make sure the road was very clear, and go.
1. You don't understand the technology. Weight has nothing to do with it.
2. What traffic law was broken?
Old 04-16-18, 11:52 AM

1. You don't understand the technology. Weight has nothing to do with it.
2. What traffic law was broken?
1) I will fully admit that I don't know the technicalities of the detection strategies in place. That is fairly irrelevant, what is relevant is there are many strategies that will not trigger for things like bikes or motorcycles. Sit at one for three, four, five minutes, and you'll quickly learn that.

2) Traveling through a red light, albeit in a safe and controlled matter.
Old 04-16-18, 11:56 AM
Arizona Dessert

1. If you understood you wouldn't find yourself waiting anywhere near as much and could tell the city where the inoperable sensors are.
2. Provision for inoperable traffic lights
Old 04-16-18, 12:09 PM

1. If you understood you wouldn't find yourself waiting anywhere near as much and could tell the city where the inoperable sensors are.
1) Ah yes, because when I'm dodging potholes a foot deep, replacing a light because it wont trigger for a motorcycle is high on a municipalities list of things to do. And secondly, if you have to have a technical understanding of how the various triggers work to make the light switch, it is a poorly designed system. And, that town was full of poorly designed systems, to the point many had to have signs put up even telling cars exactly where to stop to trigger the light.

2) As far as I have ever been able to ascertain, Michigan does not have any such provisions.
Old 04-16-18, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I know how to trigger the detector, and also understand why some don't.

So, if one does not work (and they actually exist in this world where we ride) I start by contacting the city/town where the intersection lives, who gives me:

* A lesson on how to trigger the detector!

Followed by

* An explanation that the detector sensitivity can not be increased without triggering false positives, and occasionally an estimate of how many years it will be before a bike friendly detector will be installed in the intersection.

OR

* An explanation that those few square meters of tarmac are controlled by the state or an independent state agency (that part of the road is not considered a city/town road), and I should contact them instead.

In the later case, if contacting the state, they give me:

Followed by

* An explanation that the detector sensitivity can not be increased without triggering false positives, and occasionally an estimate of how many years it will be before a bike friendly detector will be installed in the intersection.

OR

* An explanation that those few square meters of tarmac are controlled by the city/town or an independent state agency (that part of the road is not considered a state road), and I should contact them instead.

If contacting the independent state agency, they give me:

Followed by

OR

* An explanation that those few square meters of tarmac are controlled by the city/town or the state (that part of the road is not controlled by the independent state agency), and I should contact them instead.

This may not be an acyclic graph.

ps. The provision for dead reds died in the committee on transportation again this year.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-16-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 12:28 PM
Arizona Dessert

Find a better municipality to live in. When I report to the city I get a call back and told when it is fixed and ask to confirm it now works.
Old 04-16-18, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Depending on how busy the cross street is, I may
1) get off the bike and press the pedestrian cross button. Then either walk my bike across or get back into the curb lane and ride across;

or

2) make a right turn and when I'm far enough from the intersection, make a U-turn and go back to the intersection and turn right. (U-turns are legal in Toronto. I've seen many motorists including service and construction vehicles make U-turns in the intersection.)
Let me first say that I have no problem with either of these. But I wonder, in the second case (I'm assuming it's the not-busy cross street case) why not just ride through? Is it in case someone sees you, that they'll know you're riding lawfully? Logically, the U-turn maneuver cuts across the same lanes in a less "normal" area, and is a more extended maneuver, so it is more obtrusive to traffic rather than less, if that's the motivation. I wouldn't claim that it's "legal" to go straight through, but I could make an argument that it's "better".
Old 04-16-18, 12:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A citizens, it is our responsibility to follow the law. Avoiding danger is not part of it ....

As citizens on the road it is our responsibility to obey the laws ... but as sentient beings with some self-preservation drive, we probably act in whatever way seems to best ensure our survival, regardless of the laws.
I could just image the judge's response when you use that as your defense in court.

Old 04-16-18, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Find a better municipality to live in. When I report to the city I get a call back and told when it is fixed and ask to confirm it now works.
Since you understand the technology you clearly understand why the bicycle detector in this LTOL has been disabled, and why the other detectors in the LTOL can not have the sensitivity increased without generating false positives.

They are promised to be fixed in the next major revision of the intersection, several years from now. In the meantime, two stage left turn boxes have been installed in the intersection. (Even though the engineering *practice* of two stage left turn boxes is widespread in Massachusetts, the legislature hasn't managed to pass legislation making two stage left turns codified into either M.G.L. or C.M.R.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-16-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 02:35 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by jefnvk

had friend ... the short route to work involved a light his bike (Yamaha 100) wouldn't trigger. Long route was about 20 miles longer.

In some states there is a provision in the law for non-responsive traffic lights.

Common sense solves most problems ... which is why so few problems get solved.
Old 04-17-18, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also observe in my town cyclist don't follow traffic rules.
Old 04-17-18, 01:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by donnaeastman
Be the vanguard, and show them the path to enlightenment.
Old 04-17-18, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by donnaeastman
Yes, and in fact that very situation is one half of the premise of this whole discussion.
Old 04-17-18, 03:41 AM

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
The other day, in my car, I was making a left at an intersection. Went out to middle as I saw an impending opening. Last car went through and noticed a cyclist sprinting to make light. Light went yellow and cycles still chugging, decided to not turn as he appeared to have no intention of stopping. Light turned red. About one second later cyclist blew through red light followed by me turning on red to get out of the way. We both were law breakers that day.
Old 04-17-18, 08:52 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
The other day, in my car, I was making a left at an intersection. Went out to middle as I saw an impending opening. Last car went through and noticed a cyclist sprinting to make light. Light went yellow and cycles still chugging, decided to not turn as he appeared to have no intention of stopping. Light turned red. About one second later cyclist blew through red light followed by me turning on red to get out of the way. We both were law breakers that day.
As long as one enters the intersection on green or yellow, there is no red light violation if it changes to red while in it.

I almost never enter until I know I will be able to make it though. I wait at the line. There is more danger waiting in the middle of the intersection, and sitting there also limits ones sight lines, especially when the oncoming left turn driver is doing the same.

It's quite ridiculous how much drivers often limit what they can see in these situations. Often they end up waiting through gaps I could have easily cleared, because they can't see and/or have no space to get a rolling start.

If the light turns yellow before I get a suitable gap, I will then usually enter, depending on oncoming traffic speed and behavior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.