Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You early-morning riding freaks - how do you do it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You early-morning riding freaks - how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 07:50 AM
Bulldozer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm up at 5am and on the road from 5:30-7:30. It's lovely. I never used to consider myself a morning person, but today I was up at 4:55 without the alarm.

I have a hard time doing actual workouts in the evening. I have a pretty low-key desk job, but I still find that in the evening I am in the mood to chill out and cook dinner, not bust my ass on the bike.
Old 03-17-11, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I ride in the morning on weekdays usually from 6:45-7:45 or so because it is the only time I will be able to get out for sure, despite the fact that I am definitely not a morning person. If it is a quiet day at work I will commute on the bike, but most days not so much. Weekends I sleep in, and ride later in the day.
Old 03-17-11, 08:06 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
For me, since I'm just getting out of bed, a good warm up is more important at this hour, just to loosen up my muscles.
To the OP, did you go to hard right out the gate?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-17-11, 08:09 AM
Double Rainbow....

Bikes: 2012 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo 29r Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with some buddies every sunday morn..we start at 7 am.I really enjoy it,i thought i wouldnt like getting up early on sunday's but i feel great afterwards
Old 03-17-11, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I WAS getting up @ 5:30 and hitting the road 'straight-out-of-bed' for a 25 mile ride EVERY day until the time change ruined my internal clock.
It's not so much that I like mornings, but early rides are ahead of the local traffic and it gave me time to either help or interfere with getting the kids off to school when I returned.
Since the time change I've only managed to make 1 "early" ride - I typically dislike riding in the dark so it looks like it will be another few weeks before I can see the road @ 5:30 again.

I think we should abandon the time change concept entirely, or at least switch it one more time by 30 minutes and THEN leave it alone.
+++
Old 03-17-11, 09:01 AM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
To the OP, did you go to hard right out the gate?
After a few minutes, yes. Was struggling into the wind, and got passed by a couple of guys. Jumped on their wheel and then got in the front to do a pull when my turn came. Was a hard pull, especially as I got the section where the wind was stronger.. but that was only for a short while.

I going again for a group ride tomorrow morning. 6:30 departure. Will try this early morning thing again to see if it works, cos it is the most convenient for me and a good way for me to ride with a friend.

I got reasonable amount of sleep the previous day - 7+ hours and more than ample sleep all of the week prior. So why am I SO exhausted and drained for the rest of the day? I did <40 miles and even had a recovery drink after the ride.

V.
Old 03-17-11, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
It gets easier the more you do it.

I used to never be able to ride in the mornings, but for several years now, I've been riding primarily in the mornings, starting from 6-730 AM. Now, when I occasionally switch and ride in the afternoons, I feel terrible, legs hurt, can't ride for sustained period.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-17-11, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just be consistent on the routine.

i ride at 5:30...get home around 7:30...wife and daughter get up around that time...have breakfast....ride some more around the neighborhood with the family...then go about our day....
Old 03-17-11, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I don't have to wait for my friend to get to my house all the time, I would leave the house around 6:30-7:00AM. Heck, if I didn't have to wait for him during our rides, my rides would be about 1-2 hours shorter.
Old 03-17-11, 09:27 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
used to commute 1 hr+ to work at 5:30 am for years. don't anymore and I have no idea how I did it.
Old 03-17-11, 09:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer to get all my working out done in the morning that way I have the rest of the day for school work (at the moment). I envy those who can do super early mornings consistently. I know that for me if I get up for a reason I actually awake with a decent amount of energy, the real problem is not just falling back into a pattern of relaxing because i am a creature of comfort most definitely.

One early ride though was the Boston Marathon ghost ride. I got up at 5am for that one.

In general morning rides rev me up and substitute for my cup of tea. This morning I did a 7:30 - 8:30 trainer ride (Yeah I know trainer season is over but atleast when you have a 9am meeting you can still get a ride in and not worry about possible complications making you late). I certainly find that if you get going with a hard effort initially and really force your heart rate up to the red zone you warm up quicker, that might be a tip.
Old 03-17-11, 09:41 AM

Bikes: CAAD10, Specialized Dolce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was up at 5:20 this morning, on the road till 8. My job is pretty unpredictable in terms of how late I have to stay at night, so the morning is the only time I can be sure I'll get my workout in. Even when I had a standard 9-5, though, I still preferred to work out early and keep my evenings to myself.

I prefer to ride early-ish, though not as insanely early, on the weekends for two reasons: The roads are less crowded, plus it gives me most of the afternoon to spend on errands or with friends/SO.
Old 03-17-11, 09:42 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Bleh. A friend got a Litespeed M1 from CC and after helping him assemble it yesterday, we went for a morning ride today. 7am departure.

Ugh. Took me ages to get my HR into 3 digits, felt slow as molasses and there was (of course) a massive headwind to make matters worse. Was struggling along at 15-16mph and got overtaken by a couple of other roadies. Grabbed their wheel (yes, I asked and yes, I did my share up front) and even a short pull at 20mph killed me.

The way back was nice - 23-24mph of cruising at tempo (yay tailwind!). But even then, my legs just werent there.

I blame it on the early AM ride. Man simply wasnt designed to be doing anything before 10am other than lie in bed. All you early-riser types are freaks, I tell you. Freaks.
7AM is when my weekday morning ride ends; 5AM departure.

10AM, day is almost half over.
Old 03-17-11, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adzzz
I'm 14 and ride at 6am every day
so you dont work and have school...somewhat. Wish I was back in high school, so much free time.
Old 03-17-11, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May I know what time do you guys sleep?
Old 03-17-11, 10:00 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Originally Posted by skybono
When I am tired.

Try looking into taking a siesta, even if it is in the evening.
Old 03-17-11, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living at the beach the only time the trails are uncrowded is early if you wait till 10 thousands of walkers,dogs kids etc.
Old 03-17-11, 11:52 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
7am departure.

I got home from my morning ride at 7am today!
Old 03-17-11, 11:54 AM

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Between 9-10. I've one of those weird people that need 6 - 7 hours of sleep. I think it is genetic. My Dad is the same way.
Old 03-17-11, 12:06 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to be in bed by 9, asleep by 10. I'm also boring and old. On my rest days I sleep 9-10 hours. During the season sometimes as much as 12.
Old 03-17-11, 12:19 PM
Señor Member

Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
I try to be in bed by 9, asleep by 10. I'm also boring and old. On my rest days I sleep 9-10 hours. During the season sometimes as much as 12.
Ride, eat, sleep--life is good!
Old 03-17-11, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Ultimate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting next week I am going to start a 40mile each way commute to work a couple of times a week. This means leaving my house at 4:15 am or so. I am aware that it is definately going to take some getting used to, but the few times I have tried to get up and ride early I either feel like crap the whole time and quit early, or I take an hour or more to "wake up" before I start.

What do you guys do in the morning between getting out of bed and getting on the bike? Do you stretch, actively limber up, drink strong coffee, etc?
Old 03-17-11, 12:36 PM
Resident skeptic

Bikes: BD Bottecchia with SRAM Force, Pedal Force ZX3 with SRAM Force/Red, 1994 Cannondale Track Bike with original Suntour Superbe Pro, TT rig on the way

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Early mornings before work I can understand, but I've never understood why some people insist or riding at the crack of dawn on weekends even when it is daylight well into the evening. I mean, what's the point of leaving for a 6- or 8-hour ride at 7 or 8am when you could just as easily leave at noon on days when the sun doesn't set until 9 or 10pm? You end up having to wear a lot of extra clothing and/or freeze your junk off in the morning, then you burn up in the afternoon. This always bothered me about some organized group rides that I've done.
Two words: Crazy drivers!
Old 03-17-11, 12:37 PM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
life, work, family, life, work....you ride when you have to if you want too. later.
Old 03-17-11, 12:42 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cppb
What do you guys do in the morning between getting out of bed and getting on the bike? Do you stretch, actively limber up, drink strong coffee, etc?
It helps to have everything all set out and ready the night before. You don't want to be fumbling around with setting up the coffee maker when you're rubbing sleep out of your eyes. I lay out all my clothes, prepare my food, fill my bottles, set up my lights or whatever else I need on the bike, pump up my tires etc.

I jump out of bed and straight into my bike clothes while my toast is toasting, eat quickly, then get out the door and on the bike. The less stuff I have to do the better, but then I find that if I've gotten enough sleep the night before I don't need a long time to get fully awake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.