Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dun, Dun, Dun, Dunnn, It Finally Happened

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 08:03 PM

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts

At Christmas, I treated myself to some Reynolds R4 carbon wheels. I also got some new Continental 5000 clinchers. It took me over an hour to mount the new tires. I got blisters on both thumbs. I dreaded the day I got a flat on the road....Today was that day.

I got a rear flat going 30mph. Getting the rear tire off was quite a challenge. I had to really squeeze the tire to get it off the rim. I finally got it off, replaced it with my spare tube, and I could not get the tire back on. It was 45 degrees, my hands were beat from removing the tire. My hands could not get the tire on the rim. I tried squeezing the tire into the middle of the rim, I tried pushing the tire into the area that wasn't on the rim. I finally resorted to prying the tires on with my levers. Pumped up the tire with my CO2 kit and my tire stayed pumped up for about 20 seconds before it went flat. I have a patch kit, but I couldn't find the hole in the tube. I had to make the call of shame.

I put some Stans in the rear tire. Is there anything I can bring or do so I don't end up stranded with my next flat?
Old 03-11-19, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Carry a unicycle on your back? That sucks I keep hearing that the 5000 are tight. I guess I will stick to the 4000.
Old 03-11-19, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I used to have a a very stubborn wheelset. It took 45 minutes and several layers of skin the first time installed tires . Then I got one of these:

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYML7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z4XHCbKD4DK9Q

Best $12 I ever spent. Takes about 90 seconds to mount tires on same rims now.
Old 03-11-19, 09:45 PM
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I used to have a a very stubborn wheelset. It took 45 minutes and several layers of skin the first time installed tires . Then I got one of these:

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYML7K..._Z4XHCbKD4DK9Q

Best $12 I ever spent. Takes about 90 seconds to mount tires on same rims now.
Seconded

Old 03-11-19, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
Getting the rear tire off was quite a challenge. I had to really squeeze the tire to get it off the rim. I finally got it off, replaced it with my spare tube, and I could not get the tire back on. It was 45 degrees, my hands were beat from removing the tire. My hands could not get the tire on the rim. I tried squeezing the tire into the middle of the rim, I tried pushing the tire into the area that wasn't on the rim. I finally resorted to prying the tires on with my levers. Pumped up the tire with my CO2 kit and my tire stayed pumped up for about 20 seconds before it went flat. I have a patch kit, but I couldn't find the hole in the tube. I had to make the call of shame.

I put some Stans in the rear tire. Is there anything I can bring or do so I don't end up stranded with my next flat?

Good technique is hard to explain in writing, but it has been discussed here in length.

This thread has some helpful information in it, as long as you ignore Bdop. Tips for mounting tires to Pacenti SL23?
Old 03-11-19, 10:20 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Some tire/wheel combos just aren't friendly. Try different tires.
Old 03-11-19, 10:21 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I got a rear flat going 30mph. Getting the rear tire off was quite a challenge. I had to really squeeze the tire to get it off the rim. I finally got it off, replaced it with my spare tube, and I could not get the tire back on. It was 45 degrees, my hands were beat from removing the tire. My hands could not get the tire on the rim. I tried squeezing the tire into the middle of the rim, I tried pushing the tire into the area that wasn't on the rim. I finally resorted to prying the tires on with my levers. Pumped up the tire with my CO2 kit and my tire stayed pumped up for about 20 seconds before it went flat. I have a patch kit, but I couldn't find the hole in the tube. I had to make the call of shame.

Carry a bead jack with you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VAR-Tir...-/291321736608
Old 03-11-19, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Tubulars.
Old 03-12-19, 06:11 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
GP 5000 TLs and some Orange Seal?
Old 03-12-19, 06:44 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'd switch tires.

Vittoria Rubino G+ Speed are so supple. Talk lovingly to them and they slip right on.

-Tim-
Old 03-12-19, 06:46 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
... candlelight, a little wine, some soft music ...
Old 03-12-19, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Some tire/wheel combos just aren't friendly. Try different tires.
Seems obvious, doesn’t it?
Old 03-12-19, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
... candlelight, a little wine, some soft music ...
Some Vaseline might help. (And I don’t mean it in an inappropiate way.)
Old 03-12-19, 07:06 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Just beware using a jack. Some (carbon) rims in the past have outright said not to use them, IIRC.
Old 03-12-19, 07:19 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I think it's the wheels more than the tires, I've read that a lot of people have trouble getting tires on Reynolds wheels. I had no issues getting GP5000s on my wheels, didn't even need a lever.
Old 03-12-19, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I think it's the wheels more than the tires, I've read that a lot of people have trouble getting tires on Reynolds wheels. I had no issues getting GP5000s on my wheels, didn't even need a lever.
One of my friends has Reynolds 60mm hoops on her bike, and if she flats when we ride together, I always do the repair. She can do it, but it's much easier/faster if I do it.

They are a pain in the ass to get tires on them, but neither of us need to a tire jack to do so.
Old 03-12-19, 07:36 AM

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
As others have said, carrying a tire bead jack might help, although it is quite a bulky item to carry in your jersey pocket.

I also found that Continental tires are VERY tight to fit onto "tubeless ready" rims. Tubeless ready rims are typically taller to get a good seal when using tubeless. I found my GP 4000's to be VERY hard to mount onto my DT Swiss RR440 rims, nearly impossible by hand (there are some tricks when using talc powder, etc., but still, incredibly difficult, I have been that guy by the side of the road, had to make a call as well if I remember correctly).

Probably not what you want to hear, but: switch to different tires would be my suggestion, unless you want to carry a tire bead jack around at all times...

I think Michelin tires are a bit easier / more forgiving to mount than Continental. Other brands might be better still.
Old 03-12-19, 08:05 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I have Assaults. The first two or three times that I mounted (tubeless) tires, it was a bear. Now they pop on with little drama, and I've never used a lever to get them on. I used to think that I had decent mounting technique before buying my Assaults, but it clearly needed some refining.
Old 03-12-19, 08:11 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Decide what you're most attached to: the wheels or the tires. They don't get along, so you're going to have to continue your relationship with one and bid adieu to the other. I quite like my rims, and am also quite fortunate that they in turn like the tires I've chosen. If a tire won't mount with bare hands, I don't run that tire. Because unless you're being followed by a support car, the truth is that serviceability is an important aspect of a rim/tire combo as is rolling resistance, aerodynamics, or anything else.
Old 03-13-19, 08:29 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Too general. I have a set of Reynold's assault wheels and I can change my Michelin Pro4 endurance tires completely by hand... a factoid I discovered one day when I flatted about 4 miles from home and couldn't find a tire jack.

You just have to figure out what works.
Old 03-13-19, 09:14 PM

Too general. I have a set of Reynold's assault wheels and I can change my Michelin Pro4 endurance tires completely by hand... a factoid I discovered one day when I flatted about 4 miles from home and couldn't find a tire jack.
I've used Michelin Pro4 Enduarnce and Pro4 SC tires for years and never found them to be difficult on any wheelset, but others have a different story.

You just have to figure out what works.
Tubeless tires seem to be a little harder to mount in general, but I have yet to need a tire jack to mount a road/gravel tire. DH tires are a completely different thing.

These come in handy when trying to seat the bead.

https://www.parktool.com/product/tire-seater-pts-1
Old 03-14-19, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
". Is there anything I can bring or do so I don't end up stranded with my next flat?"

Yes. One more tube. I suggest the light versions. They pack smaller and work just fine. Patching at the roadside is a PITA. Do that at home. Other than that, ditch the fear of levers. No need to destroy your hands messing with a tight tyre. Im sure you can find some that wont scratch your rims. Of course, Im on alloy rims, but any sign of trouble and I break out the levers. I have BBB 81 levers, that I like because they dont pinch the tube prying on a stubborn tyre. Im sure the suggested tyre jack is fine too, if you can fit it in your pocket. Make sure the tube is not getting pinched between the tyre and rim before pumping. Very important.

This or test you luck with tubeless and sealant.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-14-19 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
ah the ole' roadside flat repair ...

speedier lever (plus a cpl regular levers) the speedier lever provides some additional features & benefits, toe clip strap

it's one thing to push the tire down into the channel, it's another thing to keep it down in there

tire jack to help muscle the tire bead over the edge of the rim

rim tape

nitrile gloves

2 tubes, 2 dif. patch kits, Co2 inflator, 3 or 4 cartridges, small hand pump, quarters just in case I have to use a gas station pump (also why I use schrader valves)
Old 03-15-19, 08:37 AM
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
... quarters just in case I have to use a gas station pump ...

You like to live dangerously, my friend.
Old 03-15-19, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
rim tape

Velox rim tape will definitely make tire changes more difficult.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.