Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8307 Post(s)
Liked 9,102 Times in 4,499 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you're probably one of those people who just cannot resist putting a stick in your front wheel. You should ride a recumbent.
I try to avoid such self destructive behavior. Plus, I break enough wheels already.
As I posted earlier, I wouldn't rule out a recumbent if I was forced into one by some physical issue. Don't see any other reason to get one. More likely I would get an electric road bike.
Old 08-28-22, 02:46 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10972 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I try to avoid such self destructive behavior. Plus, I break enough wheels already.
As I posted earlier, I wouldn't rule out a recumbent if I was forced into one by some physical issue. Don't see any other reason to get one. More likely I would get an electric road bike.
I rode bents for 10 years due to surgery that made uprights uncomfortable. I had low racers and really enjoyed the speed but I live in flat corn country so there isn’t much climbing.

Now, I’m just one of those misinformed upright riders that would be on a bent if I only knew better.

Old 08-28-22, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I rode bents for 10 years due to surgery that made uprights uncomfortable. I had low racers and really enjoyed the speed but I live in flat corn country so there isn’t much climbing.

Now, I’m just one of those misinformed upright riders that would be on a bent if I only knew better.
I remembered that you had ridden them. Do you still have one? I think I've seen a picture of you on one, actually.
Old 08-28-22, 04:45 PM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by big john
I remembered that you had ridden them. Do you still have one? I think I've seen a picture of you on one, actually.
No, as I got older, I started getting more and more fearful on the road. The ones that I had were pretty low, not the lowest out there, but low.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-28-22, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
The premise of this thread is ragging on a clueless rider who spent a bunch of money on a bike and kit but didnt even have the experience/brain to bring a spare tube. The amount of money put into the hobby contrasts with the rider forgetting a basic item.

Ive looked into getting a recumbent and all of the nicer ones were really expensive. You can get a really nice DF bike for a fraction of the cost of a recumbent, and the average bf bike is cheaper than the average recumbent.
Old 08-28-22, 06:39 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked 5,680 Times in 2,932 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The premise of this thread is ragging on a clueless rider who spent a bunch of money on a bike and kit but didnt even have the experience/brain to bring a spare tube. The amount of money put into the hobby contrasts with the rider forgetting a basic item.

Ive looked into getting a recumbent and all of the nicer ones were really expensive. You can get a really nice DF bike for a fraction of the cost of a recumbent, and the average bf bike is cheaper than the average recumbent.
Your assumption is that the rider was clueless not purposeful in not bringing a tube. I have known a couple of people who never carry tools or tubes and they are highly experienced cyclists. I don’t necessarily agree with them but respect their decision. Assumptions are never a good thing unless backed up by an overwhelming amount of evidence, which you ain’t got.

Old 08-28-22, 07:14 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,505 Times in 1,850 Posts
If we go by the actual text conversation, at no point did the rider say he didn't have tubes, tire boots, patch kit, pump ..... any of that some well-meaning, big-hearted, open-minded cloud-yeller decided that the person lacked all these things, plus the sense to bring them.

By the way, Mr. Trsnrtr---Really nice 'bent.

Same issue as with tadpole trikes---below hood level---but it looks like a ton of fun.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-28-22, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked 11,053 Times in 4,726 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
No, as I got older, I started getting more and more fearful on the road. The ones that I had were pretty low, not the lowest out there, but low.

Do I spy pockets on the front of the jersey? That would make sense on a 'bent --- I just never knew they made them like that.
Old 08-28-22, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3966 Post(s)
Liked 7,375 Times in 2,970 Posts
Basic item? You mean like a helmet, a jersey, or one of your brakes?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-29-22, 04:49 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

You're giving the OP too much credit for a coherent premise. He says he offered the tools you'd reasonably expect to carry and he knows the guy said they'd do no good under the circumstances. He actually doesn't know what the guy was carrying. Basically, OP jumped to the conclusion that he didn't have tools because he wanted that to be true to fit his petty little narrative of clueless unthinking privileged "racer boyz".

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-29-22 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-29-22, 05:53 AM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Koyote
Do I spy pockets on the front of the jersey? That would make sense on a 'bent --- I just never knew they made them like that.
Yes. They're made with side pockets, too.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 08-29-22, 09:16 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're giving the OP too much credit for a coherent premise. He says he offered the tools you'd reasonably expect to carry and he knows the guy said they'd do no good under the circumstances. He actually doesn't know what the guy was carrying. Basically, OP jumped to the conclusion that he didn't have tools because he wanted that to be true to fit his petty little narrative of clueless unthinking privileged "racer boyz".
I could see his whole bike. The was not even a small seat bag. He had NOTHING with him in case of a flat or an emergency.
Old 08-29-22, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I could see his whole bike. The was not even a small seat bag. He had NOTHING with him in case of a flat or an emergency.
You sure? Did you have him assume the position and then check his jersey pockets?
Likes For badger1:
Old 08-29-22, 09:39 AM

Maybe that "very smooth and aero, and you could just look at it and tell it was very expensive" bike he was riding was a Trek Domane with a storage compartment in the down tube? Did you check that after you checked his jersey pockets?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-29-22, 09:47 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26438 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
...in my version of this story, the rider with the flat from a large hole in the tire was running road tubeless. He was smart enough to know that pulling the tire to insert a boot and tube would be a huge sticky mess, and he just preferred to walk home. I would criticize him for having disc breaks, brifters, and a plastic frame as well. Then I would summarize, in my final sentence, with something about "steel is real".

But in all honesty, I don't think I could get 17 pages out of that troll. Kudos to the OP for that feat.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-29-22, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by badger1
You sure? Did you have him assume the position and then check his jersey pockets?
Should've had him squat and cough.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-22, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
[QUOTE=livedarklions;22627793 He says he offered the tools you'd reasonably expect to carry and he knows the guy said they'd do no good under the circumstances. He actually doesn't know what the guy was carrying. Basically, OP jumped to the conclusion that he didn't have tools because he wanted that to be true to fit his petty little narrative of clueless unthinking privileged "racer boyz".[/QUOTE]

Yes, and im saying juxtoposing that mess with the whole recumbent thing is just bizarre, because I view recumbents as more "elitist" in terms of cost and the "seriousness" of the ride, not that any of it is elitist but nice recumbents are luxury items like a nice CF frame
Old 08-29-22, 10:11 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5004 Post(s)
Liked 8,174 Times in 3,867 Posts
I ride without a bag of any kind on my bikes, yet I always ride with a tube/tool kit. How could that be??
Old 08-29-22, 10:18 AM

Two words: jersey pockets.

A little advice: at some point, your hole is deep enough, and you can stop digging.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-29-22, 10:23 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26438 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
Yes, and im saying juxtoposing that mess with the whole recumbent thing is just bizarre, because I view recumbents as more "elitist" in terms of cost and the "seriousness" of the ride, not that any of it is elitist but nice recumbents are luxury items like a nice CF frame
...nicely played, Larry. Pee-wee Herman could not have done it better.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-29-22, 10:34 AM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
If you’re going to assist another rider, you should be mindful of some potential pitfalls that are not always obvious. I swear the following story is 100% true.

A few years ago my wife and I were riding in Grand Teton National Park (one of the most beautiful places on Planet Earth; this is an objective fact). We had either just pulled into a parking lot or were about to leave, I don’t remember, but our bikes were on the car and we were wearing our riding clothes, so other folks could tell we were cyclists.

A group of three or four nice bike people approached us and asked if we had a pump they could borrow. They’d been using C02 bottles but ran out. A few of these people, including the one who needed some air, were young ladies and were quite very attractive. This honestly didn’t figure into my choice to help them; I would freely offer my pump to ugly people. Of course, I got the pump out of the car and let her use it, then asked if she needed anything else. She said, “no, thanks,” we talked briefly, and then we went our separate ways. End of story. Nothing that could go into a letter to Penthouse.

…Except as soon as they left, Mrs. Broctoon got a little irritated. She didn’t accuse me of allowing my eye to wander, but she openly complained that the girl was trying pretty hard to flirt. I didn’t see it. Maybe she batted her eye lashes and gave a cute smile, playing the damsel in distress a little. It’s not like anything could have come from it--she’s with friends, my wife is there, we’re outside in public. So now I guess I’m supposed to deny someone in need the use of my pump for 60 seconds, to avoid the appearance of responding to sexual advances? Maybe I should have said, “No, I’m sorry. I would like to help you, but you are too pretty. You will have to get air somewhere else.”

Edited to add: No one involved in this interaction was riding a recumbent or a trike. My wife and I were both on upright diamond frames, and so were the strangers we encountered. My father used to own a recumbent, and I rode it once or twice. I am neither proud nor ashamed of this fact.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-29-22 at 10:40 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-29-22, 10:48 AM
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 85 Posts
Just chiming in here to say Ryda is not representative of recumbent riders, in general. (Just in case anyone was tempted to think this.)

Since I am here, I will also say I am confused by the recumbent non-sequitur, as well.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 08-29-22, 10:51 AM

No comment on the story, but this might become my new sig line:

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I would freely offer my pump to ugly people.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-29-22, 11:03 AM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Since I am here, I will also say I am confused by the recumbent non-sequitur, as well.
Recumbent non-sequiturs frequently pop up around here, causing confusion and frustration for many BF members.
Old 08-29-22, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Broctoon
... End of story. Nothing that could go into a letter to Penthouse.

... Edited to add: No one involved in this interaction was riding a recumbent or a trike. My wife and I were both on upright diamond frames, and so were the strangers we encountered.
If you had been riding bents, it would have made it into Penthouse Letters.

"The full-kitted vixen ..."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.