Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Return to racing, 25 years later....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Return to racing, 25 years later....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
an update-- raced the Tuesday Night Criterium in Plano last night, and easily stayed in the bunch. felt as if i had all the fitness necessary to be there, and even launched a couple attacks, just to see if i could; the sprint launched when i wasn't expecting it, so got caught at the back. but i didn't care, because by then, my reasonable goal of staying in the bunch had been reached. tactics are still not there, and cornering needs work, but hey, it was one hell of a lot better than last week. i've got crits tomorrow night at Fair Park, and Saturday at the Matrix Challenge.

thing that gets me is this: i'm doing the 'C' races in these weeknight things, and the field never looks to me like 'C' racers-- they look like 20, 30, and 40 something hardasses. just sayin'...

anyway, thanks for all the support up above, and i'll keep reporting in.
Old 04-13-11, 06:06 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should start a thread in the Road Racing forum section (33). Race stuff belongs over there. Or ask a mod to move this thread.
Old 04-13-11, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
my thoughts on this are that i'm doing well to be out there mixing it up with the kids--and shouldn't get too impatient. i'm 8 races into my return, and something tells me its a little too early to start looking for results other than finishing on two wheels, and occasionally being there at the bunch sprint, as in last week.
I am 47 and thinking about getting into racing for the first time. I would be elated to just finish on two wheels, and not be dead last. Well over half the 47 year olds I know can't even ride 10 miles at a slow pace.
Old 04-13-11, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts

thing that gets me is this: i'm doing the 'C' races in these weeknight things, and the field never looks to me like 'C' racers-- they look like 20, 30, and 40 something hardasses. just sayin'...
Makes it more satisfying to place ahead of kids 20-30 years younger

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-14-11, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, you guys me hope. After a 20 year lay-off (due to a knee injury that was mis-diagnosed), I started riding again 2 years ago. I am now 43 and the itch to race again has started growing. Riding with my 11 year old son helps alot. It helps to keep me balanced. Keep it up Shrinkboy
Old 04-14-11, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by chackern2
Man, you guys me hope. After a 20 year lay-off (due to a knee injury that was mis-diagnosed), I started riding again 2 years ago. I am now 43 and the itch to race again has started growing. Riding with my 11 year old son helps alot. It helps to keep me balanced. Keep it up Shrinkboy
Go for it. I was 44 when I re-started racing (15 years off or so). 1st race was a 35+ masters crit. Managed to avoid DFL and finished 100 yeards behind the winner.
I can hang in and contest some sprints in the 45+ and cat 3 now. Though I think I'll get smoked when I try a hilly road race like Bear Mountain .

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-14-11, 02:10 PM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly get my legs ripped off by women who are 30+ years older than me. I just hope it doesn't take me 30 years to catch up to them!
Old 04-14-11, 02:13 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the attitude i've tried to maintain since first race in january of this year, my tenth being tonight at Fair Park, is to have no expectations whatever except to finish without getting pulled-- i got pulled about a month ago for being lapped in 40+ crit that was fast as BLAZES. so far, that's it. shovelhd points out above to set reasonable expectations. my reasonable expectations are to get a good start and finish the race, first, and to try and finish within the bunch if possible. this is not always possible, and that's ok. anything beyond finishing in the bunch is pure icing...there is a lot of good advice above, but racing is a learn by doing, not learn by conceptualizing kinda thing. one must simply commit to racing as often as possible, understand ahead of time that you will get hammered, less and less often as you progress, but be willing to call it a win if you finish. bike racing is so damn hard that a mere finish is a victory, in my book.

one must be willing to be a beginner, to accept whatever comes, and not give up.
Old 04-14-11, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I don't know about other districts, but in NorCal the M35+ races are wicked hard.
Old 04-14-11, 08:25 PM
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice thread shrinkinator; sweet post shovel.
Old 04-15-11, 06:51 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
tried a breakaway last night by impulsively joining a guy who went off the front near the end of the first lap; we enjoyed a few laps of freedom, before being closed down HARD and i popped after the attacks started and couldn't hang with 'em. somebody up above mentioned trying different things, and last night was my night to try aggression; kinda wish i hadn't, because i felt really good and could easily have stayed in the front 5, but i just had to give it a go. the rest of the ride was a tough session with some other guys who were off the back -- that's racing, huh?

next up, Matrix Challenge, tomorrow night.
Old 04-15-11, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, not really. Knowing what you have in the tank and for how long is critical information. Your interval work and group rides should give you an idea.
Old 04-15-11, 07:05 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks for following the thread, shovel, your replies have been really helpful-- don't quite get your 'well, not really...'-
Old 04-15-11, 07:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of "that's racing". Racing is what you make of it. There is very little luck. Sometimes there are situations you cannot avoid, like some dumbass taking a left turn in front of you in the field. There's no avoiding that, and unless you could have seen it coming, no way to know. That's bad luck. Mechanicals can be bad luck if they're caused by things out of your control. But in general, you make your own luck on the race course. Trying new things is a good thing, but you should know what you're capable of first. That's all I was saying. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-15-11, 07:47 AM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Have you thought about finding a therapist with whom you can discuss this issue?
Old 04-15-11, 07:48 AM
Gluteus Enormus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with shovelhd. You should be racing to be there at the end. Your experience as a former Cat 3 should help you get there. If you don't have the form to try things then you are wasting time and money doing so. By getting popped early in the race you are losing out on race speed work you should be getting in now.
Old 04-15-11, 08:01 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
couldn't agree more, donuts. it was a spur of the moment thing- a 'what the hell' thing- i won't do that again, for sure. but i had to do it to find out what i could do. on group rides, i am usually pushing the pace, and have a history of being a strong time trialist. there wasn't a lot of thought in it, and i just took a shot---to me, its all a part of the (re-)learning curve. former experience seems so far in the past, with 20 odd years of competition in an environment so NOT cycling (swimming), that it all still feels very, very new to me, in a familiar kind of way.

last night was only my 7th criterium of the year, and the 7th since returning to the sport after 25 years. so far, pulled once for being lapped, 3 bunch finishes, one being 8th place. i'm ok with it.

but i promise all posters, no more 1rst lap breakaway attempts!

and no, i've never thought about trying to discuss this with a therapist- it's just too crazy to try and talk about, banzai
Old 04-15-11, 08:07 AM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
I agree with shovelhd. You should be racing to be there at the end. Your experience as a former Cat 3 should help you get there. If you don't have the form to try things then you are wasting time and money doing so. By getting popped early in the race you are losing out on race speed work you should be getting in now.
I disagree. How do you know you don't have the form if you don't ever try anything new? And if you suspect that you can't win from a field sprint why wait around saving your energy to get beat on the last lap? Race to win, don't race not to lose.
Old 04-15-11, 08:12 AM
Gluteus Enormus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
I disagree. How do you know you don't have the form if you don't ever try anything new? And if you suspect that you can't win from a field sprint why wait around saving your energy to get beat on the last lap? Race to win, don't race not to lose.
Someone who raced enough to become a Cat 3 should know. He should also know that burning your matches in the first few laps of a race when trying to get back into shape is a bad move. My interpretation of what shrinkboy has posted so far is that he's racing to survive and get back into racing shape.
Old 04-15-11, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not necessarily a bad move. As a "strong time trialist" it's probably the best way for him to win. Again, it comes down to knowing what you have in the tank and for how long, and choosing the right time to go.

There's nothing wrong with trying things in a race to discover where you stand. I prefer to do it where the stakes aren't so high, like in training, on group rides, and in training races. If the OP chooses to do it in a race, that's OK too. His choice.
Old 04-15-11, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I can't fault the OP for being aggressive and trying something in a race. It's a good way of determining the number and size of matches in your book.
Old 04-15-11, 10:54 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
that was my thought, caloso.
Old 04-15-11, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Well, not really. Knowing what you have in the tank and for how long is critical information. Your interval work and group rides should give you an idea.
Group rides and interval work don't always provide enough information to determine whether you and one other rider could stay away in a two-man break. It depends on:
- the strength of the other rider
- how big and quickly a gap can be established
- how hard the field wants to work
- effectiveness of team mates left in the field.

Seems like a good gamble.
Old 04-15-11, 12:16 PM
Gluteus Enormus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
couldn't agree more, donuts. it was a spur of the moment thing- a 'what the hell' thing- i won't do that again, for sure. but i had to do it to find out what i could do. on group rides, i am usually pushing the pace, and have a history of being a strong time trialist. there wasn't a lot of thought in it, and i just took a shot---to me, its all a part of the (re-)learning curve. former experience seems so far in the past, with 20 odd years of competition in an environment so NOT cycling (swimming), that it all still feels very, very new to me, in a familiar kind of way.

last night was only my 7th criterium of the year, and the 7th since returning to the sport after 25 years. so far, pulled once for being lapped, 3 bunch finishes, one being 8th place. i'm ok with it.

but i promise all posters, no more 1rst lap breakaway attempts!

and no, i've never thought about trying to discuss this with a therapist- it's just too crazy to try and talk about, banzai
I wish I was in a position to do what you have and get back in the game. You're doing alright.
Old 05-11-11, 06:55 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
just a follow up bump on this thread-- a few weeks ago, i acquired a CAAD9/Dura Ace and immediately fell for it. that bike handles like nothing i've ever been on, and my confidence went up notches. i've raced on it 3 or 4 times already, and the getting dropped thing is in the past. i've had 1 top 10 finish since then, and 2 or 3 more bunch finishes. still working on that last lap thing, being in the right place - but staying in the lead group is now not a problem at all and i can dive bomb corners with the best, sprint out and be comfortable staying in the lead group, even attacking some ...its been fun

i know forum members were losing sleep on this so...just thought i'd update ;~))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.