Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Running errands on a cool old bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Running errands on a cool old bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 07:23 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
My 78 Motobecane Super Mirage errand bike. $50 off Craigslist, with some swap-outs and additions from the proverbial box of crap.

I've got some cheapo security bolts/skewers on the wheels and seatpost/binder that augment the U-lock I use. Also, different types of bolts on the racks (phillips, slotted, hex, etc), just to make it more of a pain in the ass to try and grab them.

Not that visible here, but the frame is covered with a zillion scratches, which are immediately apparent in person.

Lovely bike! Scratches are cool!
Old 12-08-21, 08:16 PM

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 193 Posts
What a timely thread, 52T. I have to say I always look forward to reading one of your posts or threads, because your bikes are cool, often the ones I'd like to own some day, and you put them to good use! I'm getting some parts together to build my '75(?) AO8 into a run-arounder for next spring. Normandy high-flange hubs to be built with some scrounged Weinmann alloy 27" rims (I may attempt to build my own wheels - I have an awesome LBS builder, but maybe this time I should try), a Philippe alloy drop bar, a sanded stem to fit, a Suntour VGT Luxe derailleur from the box to replace the cracked Simplex gears, an alloy double crankset up front (I put in one of those VO French thread cartridge BBs) and other low price but lightweight goodies. Most importantly, it's RED, and these old Peugeots return a nice ride for what they are. I like the AO8 because it's always open to being my next build idea - with the others I get too attached to what they're supposed to be. I'm also not afraid to scratch the Pug or lock it up on the street.

Here's the Pug with more of its original steel parts a few years back. I'm thinking simple racks and my old MEC panniers.

Old Montreal bike shop sticker
Likes For Ged117:
Old 12-08-21, 09:25 PM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Ged117
What a timely thread, 52T. I have to say I always look forward to reading one of your posts or threads, because your bikes are cool, often the ones I'd like to own some day, and you put them to good use! I'm getting some parts together to build my '75(?) AO8 into a run-arounder for next spring. Normandy high-flange hubs to be built with some scrounged Weinmann alloy 27" rims (I may attempt to build my own wheels - I have an awesome LBS builder, but maybe this time I should try), a Philippe alloy drop bar, a sanded stem to fit, a Suntour VGT Luxe derailleur from the box to replace the cracked Simplex gears, an alloy double crankset up front (I put in one of those VO French thread cartridge BBs) and other low price but lightweight goodies. Most importantly, it's RED, and these old Peugeots return a nice ride for what they are. I like the AO8 because it's always open to being my next build idea - with the others I get too attached to what they're supposed to be. I'm also not afraid to scratch the Pug or lock it up on the street.

Here's the Pug with more of its original steel parts a few years back. I'm thinking simple racks and my old MEC panniers.

Old Montreal bike shop sticker
Man that's beautiful. My bikes always have excess patina but that means a scratch doesn't hurt.
Old 12-08-21, 10:33 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 2,168 Times in 560 Posts
Recent beer run on the '73 Speedwell Titalite.

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 12-08-21, 10:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Nice setup. Is that a Sturmey-Archer shifter on the top tube? The bike looks great. The fenders and Stronglight crank are icing on the cake. It looks like you have a coaster brake on the rear 3 speed. Is that correct?
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-08-21, 11:06 PM

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Here is my vintage 10 speed converted to a IHG 3 speed. I am embarrassed to post a picture among these beauties, but keep in mind that this project in still in it first steps. There will be more to come.

This is a Lampert frame sans "death fork". It has a Sturmey-Archer AW with an aluminum shell and 40 spokes. I'm hoping to get fenders (mudguards) and tires with some Christmas money/gift cards.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-09-21, 01:56 AM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 534 Posts
My heavy-duty errand bike. A gazelle Opafiets.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 12-09-21, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked 6,761 Times in 2,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice setup. Is that a Sturmey-Archer shifter on the top tube? The bike looks great. The fenders and Stronglight crank are icing on the cake. It looks like you have a coaster brake on the rear 3 speed. Is that correct?
Thanks! Yes, that’s a new production S-A bar-end/downtube shifter modified to fit the top tube:

Rear hub is a new S-A S-RC3, 3-speed with coaster brake. It really works well, both braking and shifting, better than the old AWs I have used for many years.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-09-21, 06:45 AM
ambulatory senior

Here is my vintage 10 speed converted to a IHG 3 speed. I am embarrassed to post a picture among these beauties, but keep in mind that this project in still in it first steps. There will be more to come.

This is a Lampert frame sans "death fork". It has a Sturmey-Archer AW with an aluminum shell and 40 spokes. I'm hoping to get fenders (mudguards) and tires with some Christmas money/gift cards.
Mine has aluminum shell as well but only 36 hole. The weight difference is quite slight but I always wanted the lighter shell.
Old 12-09-21, 06:47 AM
ambulatory senior

Thanks! Yes, that’s a new production S-A bar-end/downtube shifter modified to fit the top tube:

Rear hub is a new S-A S-RC3, 3-speed with coaster brake. It really works well, both braking and shifting, better than the old AWs I have used for many years.
I have a couple of the three speed bar end shifters. Really nicely made.
Old 12-09-21, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 1,006 Times in 490 Posts
I use this to go to the baker; it's not a very nice bike but is very fun to ride

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 12-09-21, 08:35 AM
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I use this to go to the baker; it's not a very nice bike but is very fun to ride

I bet it is. So simple and direct.
Old 12-09-21, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts

throwback shifter location.
never owned but always liked the look of the old quadrant shifters. Just reminded me of the movie Brazil for some reason.

these new production hubs seem to be sorted now. I would want to ditch the plastic shroud over the axle end. I know out in the vulnerable.
Old 12-09-21, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Beer run and found on curb dump truck.

Likes For sloppy12:
Old 12-09-21, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
And I like the green color.
Old 12-09-21, 12:41 PM

Hey @Dork Disk that Hiawathia looks good. It looks like an old Murray built frame, but I don't remember Murray ever painting as pretty a color as this. Perhaps it was during the time that they were building for Schwinn, so they had access to better paint and techniques. Did you change the chainring? My dad had a Murray built Sears basic black, three speed that I used quite a bit. It also had a Shimano hub. For us, it was reliable despite my teenage tendencies to be hard on bikes. The only problem with it was that the spokes were not as tight as they should have been and it gave the bike a less secure feel.
@sloppy12 , nice Collegiate and nice score on the dump truck. Are you big enough to ride that bike? And, I hate to say it, but you look young to be drinking beer. I remember those days, I would borrow my dad's black bike, ride to 7-11 and ask people to buy beer for my friends and me. Back then people would buy us beer. I am surprised that they still do.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-09-21, 07:23 PM
ambulatory senior

Rode downtown to see a friend's gig
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-13-21, 12:03 AM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
My $20 Craigslist (missing wheels and drive train) '78 Raleigh Super Course is my beater, errand bike. It's a great riding bike, Suntour drive train, nice Campy hubs on Mavic rims. It could use a repaint and decals, it's that nice of a bike, but with the built in patina, it can fly under the radar for Post Office, bank or bagel runs. I do love riding it, and may go for a repaint one day.

Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 12-13-21, 02:49 AM
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
My $20 Craigslist (missing wheels and drive train) '78 Raleigh Super Course is my beater, errand bike. It's a great riding bike, Suntour drive train, nice Campy hubs on Mavic rims. It could use a repaint and decals, it's that nice of a bike, but with the built in patina, it can fly under the radar for Post Office, bank or bagel runs. I do love riding it, and may go for a repaint one day.

I love those later ones. The barends and derailleur dropout are awesome.
Old 12-13-21, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

I use my ropey old Carlton Franco Italia as my local commuter and errands bike

It's slightly too big for me really, the paint is falling off, the chrome is a bit rusty in places, some of the braze-ons have long since become braze-fallen-offs, but it's reliable and low-maintenance and above all it rides so damn nicely that I love using it even though it's the lowest end bike I own!
Likes For amedias:
Old 12-13-21, 10:05 AM
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by amedias

I use my ropey old Carlton Franco Italia as my local commuter and errands bike

It's slightly too big for me really, the paint is falling off, the chrome is a bit rusty in places, some of the braze-ons have long since become braze-fallen-offs, but it's reliable and low-maintenance and above all it rides so damn nicely that I love using it even though it's the lowest end bike I own!
My supercourse is really in decent shape for an old bike but it feels so good. Something about the geometry I think. I also love having only three speeds. Makes me forget about trying to go fast.
Btw your bike looks amazing to me.
Old 12-14-21, 12:07 PM

Nice Carlton @amedias , I like the simplicity of it. I'm with you on low end, but well built and designed frames. I like your mudflaps, especially the rear one by the bottom bracket. That is unusual at least in the US. I suspect it might keep some of the water that gets entrained in the fender from washing onto the chain. And while we are on the topic of unusual in the US, your right brake is your front brake. I used to prefer it that way too.

Those are fat tires, what size are they. It is great that you can fit wide tires and fenders on this bike.

Devon is pretty hilly, your Carlton looks like a single speed, is that correct? How do you handle the hills? I had a single speed Astra brand French bike that was similar. But for Long Island and Bridgeport, CT where I lived a the time I didn't have to deal with too many hills. Perhaps that bike was my gateway drug into low end bikes with a few upgraded components.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-17-21, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts
Nice Carlton @amedias , I like the simplicity of it. I'm with you on low end, but well built and designed frames. I like your mudflaps, especially the rear one by the bottom bracket. That is unusual at least in the US. I suspect it might keep some of the water that gets entrained in the fender from washing onto the chain. And while we are on the topic of unusual in the US, your right brake is your front brake. I used to prefer it that way too.

Those are fat tires, what size are they. It is great that you can fit wide tires and fenders on this bike.

Devon is pretty hilly, your Carlton looks like a single speed, is that correct? How do you handle the hills? I had a single speed Astra brand French bike that was similar. But for Long Island and Bridgeport, CT where I lived a the time I didn't have to deal with too many hills. Perhaps that bike was my gateway drug into low end bikes with a few upgraded components.
Thanks Velo Mule, the extra flap actually makes a surprising difference, I add them to all my mudguarded bikes now, it moves the drip/runoff point to down below the chain and chainrings and keeps them noticeably cleaner*. (I ride in the rain a LOT).

* This bike is used year round, in all weather and hasn't been cleaned for ~3 years, I lube the chain every now and then, and replace the brake pads when they're worn, other than that nothing has needed attention.

Regarding the brake setup, it is of course normal in the UK so it's all I've ever run, I've ridden (French, German, Dutch) friends bikes that are set up the other way a few times and just find it awkward and odd, only because my brain isn't used to the , rather than there being a 'right' and 'wrong' way if you see what I mean.

The tyres currently fitted are labelled as 32mm but they measure 35.5mm on those rims, there's loads of room, you could easily run 38mm+ under the guards without issue, it originally came with 27in wheels so the 700c Conversion for some fatter rubber was an easy swap as it's still within the available brake drop.

And yes, it is set up SS, and far be it form me to blow my own trumpet but I've been riding and racing SS MTB's for over 20 years and ride a lot of SS on the road too so the hills don't bother me too much, an appropriate gear ratio and some brute force (and a certain amount of stubbornness) normally see me through. The Carlton is geared pretty mellow for commuting and errands round town so it's just nice and reliable and simple. I live right next to Dartmoor and only ~20miles south of Exmoor so I do spend a lot of time in the hills so do ride geared bikes as well as the moors have a lot of 20-25% grades that although not long are brutal with poor surfaces too. I've been known to use the SS for some 100-200K Audax rides round here but only if the route is appropriate!

The paradox of low end but nice riding bikes is a funny one, I've got a whole bunch of lovely posh bikes as well but sometimes a bike just works for you and at that point it doesn't matter if you spent thousands on it or pulled it out of the trash, if it rides nicely then its a *good* bike.

Last edited by amedias; 12-17-21 at 04:12 AM.
Likes For amedias:
Old 12-17-21, 02:55 PM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
Speaking of security, I wonder how well these work. https://www.apple.com/airtag/
I have one on my DD my phone let’s me know if I get to far away from it

It’s right there under my bottle cage

Last edited by Germany_chris; 12-17-21 at 02:58 PM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-18-21, 11:04 PM

* This bike is used year round, in all weather and hasn't been cleaned for ~3 years, I lube the chain every now and then, and replace the brake pads when they're worn, other than that nothing has needed attention.

Regarding the brake setup, it is of course normal in the UK so it's all I've ever run, I've ridden (French, German, Dutch) friends bikes that are set up the other way a few times and just find it awkward and odd, only because my brain isn't used to the , rather than there being a 'right' and 'wrong' way if you see what I mean.

The tyres currently fitted are labelled as 32mm but they measure 35.5mm on those rims, there's loads of room, you could easily run 38mm+ under the guards without issue, it originally came with 27in wheels so the 700c Conversion for some fatter rubber was an easy swap as it's still within the available brake drop.

And yes, it is set up SS, and far be it form me to blow my own trumpet but I've been riding and racing SS MTB's for over 20 years and ride a lot of SS on the road too so the hills don't bother me too much, an appropriate gear ratio and some brute force (and a certain amount of stubbornness) normally see me through. The Carlton is geared pretty mellow for commuting and errands round town so it's just nice and reliable and simple. I live right next to Dartmoor and only ~20miles south of Exmoor so I do spend a lot of time in the hills so do ride geared bikes as well as the moors have a lot of 20-25% grades that although not long are brutal with poor surfaces too. I've been known to use the SS for some 100-200K Audax rides round here but only if the route is appropriate!

The paradox of low end but nice riding bikes is a funny one, I've got a whole bunch of lovely posh bikes as well but sometimes a bike just works for you and at that point it doesn't matter if you spent thousands on it or pulled it out of the trash, if it rides nicely then its a *good* bike.[/QUOTE]

That bike looks great for not having been cleaned in three year. Nice picture, by the way. I notice that there is just enough water remaining on the stones to give a blurry reflection.

I've got to admit that I am probably the opposite of you. Mostly flat terrain, all my bikes at the moment are multispeed, I would not be inclined to grind up a hill, and I rarely ride in the rain. I still like mudgaurds for puddles, if I get caught in some rain and I like the looks of bikes with fenders. I also don't have any "posh" bikes anymore.

I may try your mudflap in the front of the rear fender idea. I used to like using milk jug material (polyethelene), but it doesn't hold up too long.