Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should you be worried...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should you be worried...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Been swooped by Redtail Hawks. Kind of unnerving hearing/sensing the tap of talons on the top of your helmet.
I sometimes wear a yellow helmet so maybe I'm being used for target practice?
I think magpies are kind of infamous for attacking cyclists, and may even have caused the odd fatality.
Old 11-06-23, 10:07 PM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 251 Posts
PIC assist. LOL

Not far away .....

Driving down the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, in my Volvo. LOL. .
Old 11-06-23, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
There is a cell tower area on the University of North Florida campus that seems to be a roosting spot for buzzards, one day last winter I rode by and there was about 75 of them on the ground. It was a very cold day, so not a lot of hot air rising that day for them to glide on.

Old 11-06-23, 11:13 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked 5,739 Times in 2,955 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
PIC assist. LOL

Not far away .....

Driving down the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, in my Volvo. LOL. .
What an interesting set of signs. Bikes can take the ‘full’ lane by heaven forbid riding two abreast. If bikes were relegated to the shoulder, then single file would make more sense. Maybe I am interpreting it all wrong.

Old 11-07-23, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,740 Times in 7,401 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I can see why Ben Franklin wanted this to be the national bird.
Edit: upon further review this is a myth but spectacular nonetheless.
The funny thing is that he was all gobble, no peck. A neighbor pulled up in her truck and explained to me that he was the pet of a woman who lived a few properties down. Because he was in the roadway, she shooed him away. He literally turned tail and ran back through the fence like a scared kitten. With his feathers folded up, he wasn't nearly as imposing looking. Sort of like a peacock.
Old 11-07-23, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pratt
I think magpies are kind of infamous for attacking cyclists, and may even have caused the odd fatality.
We got some harassment from magpies several times while riding across the country, especially in ND and IA. They can be really aggressive.

There was one bird species (forget the name) that would go to the ground and act like it had a broken wing. One of the people on our group told us that it was to distract potential predators from a nearby nest. Steller's jays were also menacing. One afternoon in camp in the North Cascade National Park, our leader had an unboxed bag of cereal strapped to the back of the bag of his B.O.B. trailer. Right in front of us, a jay landed on the bag and started pecking at the bag to get at the cereal inside. No fear whatsoever. You really had to watch what you left out when they were around.

Dow at the NJ shore, you have to very mindful while walking the boardwalks with food. Seagulls will swoop down from behind and grab that hot dog or even pizza right out of your hand. I have seen children get traumatized that way. At least one shore town has been hiring a bird handler during the summer. He walks the boards at night with a big owl perched on his arm. It has been wildly successful at keeping the gulls at bay.
Old 11-07-23, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Turkey vulture, turkey buzzard, and black buzzard are accepted common names for Cathartes aura.
Black buzzard is a separate species from a turkey buzzard. Turkey buzzard has a naked red head, while black buzzard has a black head.

FWIW, black buzzards have been migrating south for the last month, so the skies have been full of them here.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There was one bird species (forget the name) that would go to the ground and act like it had a broken wing.
Killdeer? Killdeer - Wikipedia They're kind of cute, until they've successfully bred and take over a parking lot.
Old 11-07-23, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Killdeer? Killdeer - Wikipedia They're kind of cute, until they've successfully bred and take over a parking lot.
Thanks. That might be it. We would see them in field areas with relatively low grass. And I definitely remember them having red on their rumps.
Old 11-07-23, 03:27 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Liked 5,739 Times in 2,955 Posts
Should you be worried…. If you hear behind you the clatter of claws hitting the pavement closing in on you?

I have had this happen twice with different dogs coming out of nowhere. The first one I managed to outsprint hitting nearly 30. The second one caught up and then passed me thinking it was a fun game. The second then ran about 1/10th of a mile pacing me and then disappeared down a driveway.

Old 11-07-23, 06:11 PM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 3,648 Times in 1,827 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have had this happen twice with different dogs coming out of nowhere. The first one I managed to outsprint hitting nearly 30. The second one caught up and then passed me thinking it was a fun game. The second then ran about 1/10th of a mile pacing me and then disappeared down a driveway.
I had a Jack Russel terrier race me once, uphill, but he stayed on the sidewalk while I was on the road. I threw some trash talk at him, which made him run even faster.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 11-07-23, 06:42 PM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,321 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
They don't tend to be successful with that around here. They will make nests of small rocks in gravel parking lots and that makes the eggs snake food.

Old 11-13-23, 10:02 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
I was assaulted by a starling once; evidently I was walking too close to its nest and it gave up screaming at me and flew from behind and pecked me in the back of the head. Possibly harder than intended, because it silently flew off and didn't come back. I was left with a sore head; no blood, though.