Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuel for 25 mile ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fuel for 25 mile ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 11:47 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
What do you eat/drink during a 25 mile fast group ride? (Avg. 17-18 mph, 23-25mph pace line on the flats, plus a few moderate hills).

I take 2 bottles, one with water, one with homemade sugar/salt water mixture, plus a Lara bar. I generally drink about half of each bottle, and eat half the bar.

Does that sound unnecessary for that short of a ride, even though it's pretty hard? We generally stop and wait at the top of the biggest hill for a few minutes, and most people seem to take a bite of something.
How long does 25 miles take you?

If less than 2 hours, eat something small (banana, oatmeal raisin cookie, sandwich or whatever) before you go. Drink water and bring a granola bar just in case.
Old 09-18-16, 05:44 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
why on earth would you need two bottles for 25 miles??
The OP characterized the ride as a "fast group ride," so it's fair to assume he's pushing himself. At a 17-18 mph average, that's just under an hour and a half. Two bottles is about right, even if he doesn't drink it all.

My summertime average is a bottle every 45 minutes, and on hard rides I've wished for more.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-18-16, 05:53 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Nothing on a 25-mile ride. Maybe, if it's hot, water, but generally, zip.
Very little intake would have any effect during that time span.
If it makes you think you feel better, fine.

It's like a water stop in a 5K. Totally psychological unless it's for walkers.
Old 09-18-16, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Frankly for 25 miles nothing is needed even if it hot out. This depends on a persons training and fitness. Those not as fit and well trained will need more to get by.

If this makes any sense let me tell you that carbo loading for endurance cycling and running is way over rated. That said my wife needs to drink water every 6 miles when I ride with her. I don't need for 60 Miles sometimes if it is cold outside. Please note she is much, much tougher than me she has manage 2 rounds of breast cancer and still can ride.
That means if you had to ask the original question, fitness is the number 1 thing. Eating or drinking ain't gonna help a whole lot on a short fast ride.
Old 09-18-16, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
The OP characterized the ride as a "fast group ride," so it's fair to assume he's pushing himself. At a 17-18 mph average, that's just under an hour and a half. Two bottles is about right, even if he doesn't drink it all.

My summertime average is a bottle every 45 minutes, and on hard rides I've wished for more.
that's way too much water and 18mph isn't that fast. He'll be stopping for pee breaks.
Old 09-18-16, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
An hour of moderate exercise can deplete your glycogen and make you bonk, so I would bring one bottle of Gatorade for the sugar. If it's hot (still mid 90s down here) I would also bring a bottle of salt water. No need for food on that short a ride. I'd have a protein drink after if I could because they are yummy. Also beer.
Old 09-18-16, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
An hour of moderate exercise can deplete your glycogen and make you bonk, so I would bring one bottle of Gatorade for the sugar. If it's hot (still mid 90s down here) I would also bring a bottle of salt water. No need for food on that short a ride. I'd have a protein drink after if I could because they are yummy. Also beer.
Not unless you've just finished two hours of intense exercise without eating. An hour of moderate exercise might burn 300-500 Cals of carbs. Most people can store about 2000 so there shouldn't be any risk of bonking during one or two hours of exercise.
Old 09-18-16, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that is true what most people are saying. It depends on you energy system. It appears that most people that responded has trained their system to operate on limited carbs.

I bonked on a 25 mile ride when I was cutting carbs on Monday. On Thursday night, I had a bowl of pasta and rode Friday morning and had plenty of energy.

I ride at 9am. I eat my last meal at 7pm so that is 14hrs without food, so when I hear people say "just a water bottle" before a ride it doesn't make sense.
Old 09-18-16, 08:07 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Not unless you've just finished two hours of intense exercise without eating. An hour of moderate exercise might burn 300-500 Cals of carbs. Most people can store about 2000 so there shouldn't be any risk of bonking during one or two hours of exercise.
I've bonked on an hour of moderate exercise before, so I don't care what you say. Powdered Gatorade is cheap at Costco. Bonking sucks.
Old 09-18-16, 08:11 AM

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by learning2ride
I don't think that is true what most people are saying. It depends on you energy system. It appears that most people that responded has trained their system to operate on limited carbs.

I bonked on a 25 mile ride when I was cutting carbs on Monday. On Thursday night, I had a bowl of pasta and rode Friday morning and had plenty of energy.

I ride at 9am. I eat my last meal at 7pm so that is 14hrs without food, so when I hear people say "just a water bottle" before a ride it doesn't make sense.

THIS^^^^
Everybody is different.
I have found "carb loading" to be very helpful to me for rides of 30-50 miles.
As far as the OP goes - for ME, one bottle of water would work fine for that short of a distance...as long as I ate a something before I started. But that's me.
Old 09-18-16, 08:13 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I go through a bottle of water on a 25 mile ride and if it is hot out, like it has been, I will drop a Nuun electrolyte tablet into it. No food for a 25 mile ride.
Old 09-18-16, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't bring anything for a ride like that, and ride it fasted in the morning. We're only talking what, 800 calories give or take?
Me too, other than water. When I go out for my morning rides, I always go out "fasted" if the ride is under 2 hours (about 40 miles w/ 3,000' of climbing). If more than that, I'll make a pit stop along the way and grab some food, eat a little and save the rest for alter on.

I do take gels and quinine tablets on longer rides over two hours, even if I do not always need them.
Old 09-18-16, 08:25 AM

I've bonked on an hour of moderate exercise before, so I don't care what you say. Powdered Gatorade is cheap at Costco. Bonking sucks.
You can 'bonk' without doing any exercise if you don't eat. If you're eating a normal balanced diet and not trying to cut calories you should be fine. It's completely unnecessary to eat or drink calories while riding for an hour.
Old 09-18-16, 08:31 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can 'bonk' without doing any exercise if you don't eat. If you're eating a normal balanced diet and not trying to cut calories you should be fine. It's completely unnecessary to eat or drink calories while riding for an hour.
I've never cut a calorie in my life.
Old 09-18-16, 08:35 AM

I've never cut a calorie in my life.
A one hour bike ride might be a good place to start
Old 09-18-16, 08:38 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Salt water? For a 25 mile ride? For any length ride? Never in 49 years of cycling. Let's remember guys that the human body is a marvel of evolutionary physiology. When you water replete, you get rid if it, when your water depleted, your body holds onto it, with decreasing salt levels your body again conserves. The fine tuned physiological adaptations make this thread seem almost comical. OP. You're not going to die of thirst or hunger on a 25 - 40 mile ride unless you embark on it after a multi day fast.
Old 09-18-16, 08:43 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets post to answer the question instead of incensed snark here it goes.
I would bring a water bottle and one nutrition drink. Bring a bar.make note as to how much you use.take another note...and be honest with yourself...how much of what you are eating or drinking is due to fitness concerns and how much to being empty.rack

Ease back and adjust. Every ride is different. 25miles hilly and25miles flat with a headwind seems different.

In short.most people think they need more than they really need.much of it can be done before and after the ride. Out and backs vs meandering around town is different as well.

Hope this helps.there.that wasn't so hard was it
Old 09-18-16, 08:48 AM

What me be snarky? Never!!��
Old 09-18-16, 08:50 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A one hour bike ride might be a good place to start
No, it's a horrible place to start. I bonked. Remember?

Why are you so against a little sugar water?

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Salt water? For a 25 mile ride? For any length ride? Never in 49 years of cycling. Let's remember guys that the human body is a marvel of evolutionary physiology. When you water replete, you get rid if it, when your water depleted, your body holds onto it, with decreasing salt levels your body again conserves. The fine tuned physiological adaptations make this thread seem almost comical. OP. You're not going to die of thirst or hunger on a 25 - 40 mile ride unless you embark on it after a multi day fast.
Yes, salt water on a 25 mile ride. When it's hot your body sweats salt. When you drink straight water the salt isn't replaced. See "hypotonic hyponatremia". If you sweat enough, you need some extra salt.
Old 09-18-16, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
salt water ? blech.
unbelievable
Old 09-18-16, 08:55 AM

See this is not a real factor. The body sweats water with small levels of salt. Again the kidney will conserve what is in short supply making addition of salt outside what is consumed in food unnecessary. Unless fighting in Vietnam and even there , the military realized salt tablets were unnecessary and water was.
Old 09-18-16, 09:11 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
that's way too much water and 18mph isn't that fast. He'll be stopping for pee breaks.
You and I have each figured out how much water we need, and there's a big difference. The OP has said he's pretty new at this, so he's trying to figure his needs out. Implying that nobody has needs different than yours isn't helpful. Climate and relative fitness are pretty big variables here, and even if those are the same there's a wide variation among people.

FWIW, I agree that 18 mph is pretty mellow for a group ride, but again he's new at this and is on the steep part of the learning curve.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-18-16, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I am convinced we have become a nation that is completely unaware that food is an antidote for a problem, and that problem is hunger.

Actually, the need and ability of a discrete organism to consume things in order to perpetuate itself is a definition of life, so if eating is an "antidote for a problem," then the "problem" would be death. However, I prefer not to wait until I'm about to die, I'd rather enjoy life.

Seriously, in general, as others have said, what I want on a 25 mile ride like the one described originally depends on a) how recently and how much I had to eat before setting off, and b) climatic conditions. Another thing that makes a difference is how much and how hard I'd been riding in the days leading up to this ride.

In 25 miles, I might not finish a whole bottle, unless it's hot out or unless it's something of a workout, but if I'm going out for more than a perfunctory ride around the neighborhood, I'll invariably take two.

Also, on weekend rides, I'll usually take some kind of snack because I never know if I might want something. Often enough, I won't touch it, but sometimes, we might do some serious climbing, and I'll take the opportunity to grab a bite while we catch our breath and wait for the stragglers. I'll feel better on the TT segment home if I do that.
Old 09-18-16, 10:02 AM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
why are there so many fat cyclists? they eat too ****ing much. and distance is no measure, duration and intensity is. anything under 2 hrs, water will suffice. Bring as much as you want depending on heat. you really shouldn't add any calories until something longer. I won't eat anything unless I know i'm passing 2.5 hrs or I'm riding heavy tempo with lots above LT.
Old 09-18-16, 10:16 AM
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Wow, this thread has legs, I'm surprised as I thought this was resolved:

Rule # 91 // No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours

This one also comes from the Apostle, Johan Museeuw, who said to @Frank: “Yes, no food on rides under four hours. You need to lose some weight.” Or, as Fignon put it, sometimes, when we train, we simply have to go out to meet the Man with the Hammer. The exception is, of course, hard rides over two hours and races. Also, if you’re planning on being out for more than four hours, start eating before you get hungry. This also applies to energy drink supplements.

Velominati ? The Rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.