Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turning Clincher Into Tubular

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Turning Clincher Into Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I came for the clincher tires sewn or glued shut for use with a tubular rim. Imagine my disappointment when the thread was actually about something ridiculous.
I get it! Sarcasm!
Old 12-21-22, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
I get it! Sarcasm!
yeah boi))
Old 12-21-22, 11:02 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I seem to distinctly recall about 40 years ago (early 1980s) a rim company selling a rim designed to mount either tubular tires or clinchers. As I recall, it used a unique cross section that would allow for glue adhesion or bead mounting.
The Super Champion "Mixte" rim. I have a set, but I've only used them with clinchers, so far.

Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-21-22, 12:32 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The Super Champion "Mixte" rim. I have a set, but I've only used them with clinchers, so far.
Glad to see my memory wasn't completely faulty, and that someone could provide the details I couldn't.

And that rim weight looks to be slightly heavier than an Arc-En-Ciel...
Old 12-22-22, 12:31 AM
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Befitter
Hello Bike Forum Friends,

Have any of you ever heard of someone turning clincher rims into tubular rims???
I would imagine that you would have to have great frame building welding skills.
I wonder if you had an aluminum rim, could you weld a steel plate to it or vice versa.
Titanium???
I wouldn’t run tubulars unless I was paid to ride bikes and needed the last ounce (or whatever advantage they give) to win a race.

You can’t usually weld dissimilar metals.

Extreme off the wall antidotes are I think some high end automotive steel is alloyed with aluminum. And I think I saw on a TV show some type of giant plate that was similar to a trench plate. Some type of explosives were used to sandwich aluminum and steel kind of like plywood.
Old 12-22-22, 06:44 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I wouldn’t run tubulars unless I was paid to ride bikes and needed the last ounce (or whatever advantage they give) to win a race.

You can’t usually weld dissimilar metals.

Extreme off the wall antidotes are I think some high end automotive steel is alloyed with aluminum. And I think I saw on a TV show some type of giant plate that was similar to a trench plate. Some type of explosives were used to sandwich aluminum and steel kind of like plywood.
True you can't usually weld dissimilar metals. However, there is this recent innovation that came out in the last year or two. I'm told it works. But I have no experience with it. Nor have I seen it in person.

Also, you are correct. The compressive forces of the explosion drives the molecules past each other where they then interlock. The super structure of Arleigh Burke class destroyers is aluminum mated to a steel hull. This is done so there is less weight swinging around high above the waterline. It helps make for a more stable missile platform. (They are also wider & shorter in length than Spruance class for the same reason.)

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-22-22, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The super structure of Arleigh Burke class destroyers is aluminum mated to a steel hull. This is done so there is less weight swinging around high above the waterline. It helps make for a more stable missile platform. (They are also wider & shorter in length than Spruance class for the same reason.)
I used to drive DDs and every so often, we'd race the then "new" DDGs, never lost a race, plus the p ways on the DDGs are narrow, and more importantly, the fantail of a DD is much better suited for fishing...
Old 12-22-22, 11:24 AM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I used to drive DDs and every so often, we'd race the then "new" DDGs, never lost a race, plus the p ways on the DDGs are narrow, and more importantly, the fantail of a DD is much better suited for fishing...
Indeed. The long/skinny Spru-cans were definitely faster. Being designed primarily for sub-surface warfare, evading a torpedo was an important skill to have. For which we did successfully many times during training exercises.

We once got tied up with 3 Iranian owned Russian relics of the Cold-war. Ah, fun times. Funny thing about Submarines in the Persian Gulf; The most of it is about 100-150 feet deep. Not much room to operate a 40 foot tall (keel to sail) submarine 😂 We hurt our sonar dome pushin' mud but we got the one corralled & the other 2 decided it was time to find some place else to be. I think, somewhere I still have a picture I took of it waiting for high tide to free itself.

Nevertheless we were not to be deterred in our observations of Kargil War which for radar reasons required we be uncomfortably close to the Iranian shoreline in the Gulf of Oman. After a few months of being chased around like a big beacon on the Iranian RADAR screens, the USS Russell relieved us on station in the very, very corner of the theater.

With the DDG's much lower signatures, & shallower draft suited to the littorals, the Iranians thought they succeeded in running us off. (Of course we set up ourselves as bait to draw their attention.) The Russell was then free to move in & observe what they needed to observe...Two nuclear states playing chicken with disarmed nuclear warheads self-destructing them at the border.

The Ballistic Missile Defense Shield was the result of those observations.

Glad that part of my life is over!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-22-22, 11:59 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Fact - you can run tubulars on clincher rims. I haven't done it but I gave my spare to a friend and he rode it on his clincher rim. (Dry so he took corners carefully but aside from that it worked fine.) That this was possible was the word BITD. All of us tubular users knew we could help others but we had to be self-sufficient.
Maybe with 18/19mm tubluars on those steel clincher rims - you could have sparks flying with every turn you lean the bike.