Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 10:33 AM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
55, sunny with a slight breeze from the east (kinda worked ok for my due south trip).

I was very unenthused about life this morning, thanks to crazy politics and uncertainty at work that has been carrying on far too long. I don't want to play any more!!!! Thankfully the ride in helped to take my mind off it all for a while, and restored a tiny bit of sanity. Managed to work the frustration out on the hills, too, so got down here in a new record time.
Old 06-02-04, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Vision R40 - recumbent, Gunnar Crosshairs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in. I've been sick for a week, and decided to ride in just out of stubbornness.

I had one stupid SUV pass me on a short street so I ended up behind him at the stop sign, laughing at him. The SUV after him also tried to pass, but ran out of room, so she ended up half in, half out of her lane waiting in the queue for the stop sign.

I had a MTB try to pass me after a stop light, but I didn't hold my line too well and didn't notice him until he had to brake. I moved over and waved him by, as I'm not the type to hold someone else up. I wish he would have said something beforehand, and I'd have made sure I was out of his way. He thanked me after he passed, so it's not like he was a jerk or anything
Old 06-02-04, 05:16 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
Nice ride today. Young fellow on a mountain bike pulled up behind me while I waited for a red light by Lacey City Hall. Light turned green before I could greet him & even when I rode slowly, he wouldn't pull even to chat so I rode off to work & left him behind. 75F & gentle breeze on the ride home this afternoon. Don
Old 06-03-04, 06:33 AM
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A bus ran a stop sign and nearly hit me. I filed a complaint with the bus company. For details, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-safety/53964-doing-something-about.html
Old 06-03-04, 09:07 AM
Born to be mild

Bikes: A blue one, a green one, a purple one, a black one, and a red one!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another nice commute in this morning. Mild 72 degrees at 5 am. Looking forward to the 106 we're expecting this afternoon. Sheez, it ain't even summer yet!
Old 06-03-04, 09:33 AM

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride home yesterday was all about outrunning a thunderstorm! I was constantly on the northern edge of it, but managed to avoid getting too wet. Got home, waited for the storm to pass, then jogged up to the LBS to pick up my new bike - Surly Cross Check. Will post some pics later...

First ride in on the Surly this morning - 55 through to about 65 when I got to work, slight headwind, but very enjoyable. I had to stop twice on the way down - once to tighten the seat post clamp, and another to tighten the rear quick-release. I didn't snug it down quite enough last night after installing the rack, so pulled the wheel forward a bit when getting started at a traffic light (front entry horizontal dropouts). No biggie...

Also the first ride using panniers - I loved not having a backpack against my back, but certainly did notice the extra weight on the rear of the bike. Normally I don't think the pannier will be quite as heavy as it was today - had to bring down a pair of new locks, which I'll leave at work now.
Old 06-03-04, 10:46 AM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, great ride in this morning, sunny and warmer (which has been rare lately), should be a great ride home this afternoon. Wow, sun two days in a row, I can't believe it.
Old 06-03-04, 05:41 PM

Nice ride today, 84F this afternoon. On my lunchtime commute I rode up to a red light & waited next to a college age kid on a mountain bike. After a minute or so, he looked over at me & the line of cars then slowly rode across the intersection against the red & the cross traffic! Ahead was a long downhill, so when I had green I got into my big gear to catch him 1/4 mile ahead. I was doing about 35 as I overtook. Guys like this give us all a bad name.
Old 06-04-04, 10:15 AM
Tar is not a toy.

Bikes: Marin Verona - C'dale F5 CAD2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a wonderful ride in... should be the same going home. It was about 75F and a beautiful sunrise.
My commute is going to double in mileage at the end of the month. (37 miles round trip). I love my old heavy MTB… but I may want something with a little more speed. Lighter, 9 speed in the rear… Maybe something like Cannondale Road Warrior 800… any suggestions?
I know I should be more concerned with weight on the bike than of the bike… and I am. Rome was not built in a day.
I hope everyone has a good Friday and a great weekend.

Last edited by WonkerJaw; 06-04-04 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-04-04, 12:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a good commute in to work. I only caught two or three lights, and I caught them they were as they were going to turn green for me, so I barely lost time at the lights. It made for a quicker ride than most mornings.
Old 06-04-04, 08:52 PM

Another day of super commuting weather, topped out at 86F today but I saw very few cyclists, why? What's the matter with these people?
Old 06-04-04, 10:51 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
A warmer commute to work today..Upper 80's. That is ok.. Under another thread we talked about traffic and how it makes for a rough commute. About two weeks ago I posted how traffic onto an on ramp of a freeway would not stop for me..
Today, was not a freeway..It was a regular urban intersection. Right turn on red means never having to stop..
I had the pedestrian ok to cross the street(crosswalk.). Think an RV would stop long enough for the pedestrians to clear. No it never gave me a chance to walk across the road. RV's are high. They particularily should see someone waiting at a cross walk.NO.
I gave up..Walked back and walked into the road and crossed the intersection when the traffic light turned green. Never know what is the safest way to cross an intersection.
Old 06-07-04, 09:49 AM

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great riding in the DC area this morning. Nice and cool with patchy fog. We should get into the low 80's this afternoon-a nice recovery from the lousy weekend weather-and then hotter by week's end. Left a little late this morning but was able to make up most of the time and still get into work a little early. I'm really enjoying the ride on my new commuter's slicks however, I will shortly be saying goodbye to this bike as I'm selling it to a friend sometime this week. This means that I've got to get my new Cross Check up and running soon because I'm not looking for to commuting on my only remaining bike-my Cove Handjob-during the interim.
Old 06-07-04, 10:04 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm noticing a few more commuters on my way to work lately. I wonder if there's an actual increase or if I just never noticed them before.

This morning was absolutely ideal weather for commuting: cool and calm.
Old 06-07-04, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warmer commute this morning - 70F/21C with a decent headwind. I noticed I was using a gear lower than usual on some of the hills. Not too surprised, given the headwind and slightly tired legs after a 65 mile ride at the Elephant Rock century yesterday. The new Cross Check is behaving quite well, though the front derailleur does need a bit of tuning (mostly cable stretch, I think) and there's a bit of clicking from the BB. Might ride past the LBS on the way home and get them to check it out.

Meant to be close to 100F/38C for the ride home... thankfully it doesn't get humid here!!!
Old 06-07-04, 10:19 AM
Bikeman

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WHAHOOEEE!!! Is it windy today! Still it's great to see the sunshine and this was the first morning commute that I could wear shorts and short sleeves this year! Great ride in, I wanted to keep going. Well, I'll do a river ride on my lunch break and take the long way home tonight. I'm ready for summer!
Old 06-07-04, 12:22 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windy here too! Gusts to 30MPH on the way in. Temperature around 50F so had tights and jacket on. (Normal morning commute attire) Today was the first day of riding with the SPD pedals and shoes. No problems. I have been practicing over the weekend cliping and uncliping. I am not sure if I am faster with clipless since the wind was such a factor this morning. I guess that will be seen over time. Just beat the rain coming in. Probably gonna have rain for the ride home too.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 06-07-04, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yay! Just got a phone call that my replacement panniers are in. I'm picking them up this evening and can ride in tomorrow (assuming there's nothing wrong with this set!). This will be my fourth set of 2004 Trek Pannier 2 (2520 cu in.) since April. Trek redesigned them this year and I think I've been their unwitting test department!
Old 06-07-04, 03:24 PM
Tar is not a toy.

Bikes: Marin Verona - C'dale F5 CAD2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prabbit
I think I've been their unwitting test department!
4 times?!?!... I have a set of Ortlieb and they are wonderful. Good Luck
Old 06-07-04, 05:15 PM
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st commute after my 2 weeks off and it was heavily overcast with a bit of headwind. Comfortable temp, though I'm not sure what it was since my fancy computer with the thermometer died on tour. Weird to ride w/o the front panniers, I found my self over correcting and balance wrong for the first mile or so. Didn't miss all the weight though
Old 06-07-04, 05:29 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool and rainy. Heavy cloud deck that looked to threaten a downpour. Predicting rain all week.
Old 06-07-04, 09:23 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by N7CZinMT
Cool and rainy. Heavy cloud deck that looked to threaten a downpour. Predicting rain all week.
Send it this way if you like. It can never rain enough for me! Beautiful rain yesterday morning, and a ideal temperature (14C). No rain today (although they promised "showers"), which really sucked.

That is all.
Old 06-07-04, 09:31 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
Send it this way if you like. It can never rain enough for me! Beautiful rain yesterday morning, and a ideal temperature (14C). No rain today (although they promised "showers"), which really sucked.
Hey Chris. I'll see what I can do. I don't mind a warm rain, but its been a cold rain for the most part here. I guess I am really sick of being cold more than being wet.
Old 06-07-04, 09:35 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
14 C rain isn't what I'd classify as "warm" rain. You wait till December, when I start posting about 30 C rain!

That is all.
Old 06-08-04, 05:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful ride in this morning mid teens Centigrade at 7AM and clear skies. The training rides I'm doing for a Century charity ride are paying off on the commute. I'm averaging over 18mph for the 14 rt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.