Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Safest bike type

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Safest bike type

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 12:44 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A safe bike is also one that you are comfortable riding. That means well fitted as well as your personal preferences with regards to creature comforts. If you are having issues with your butt, back, hands, shoulders, or taint, you are more likly to be not paying proper attention to other issues at hand, such as traffic.
Old 05-06-10, 01:09 PM
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giffen
I think that road bikes are (relatively) unsafe for several reasons:

1. They are ridden faster. Speed is the most important factor in bicycle safety.
2. The hunched over position decreases visibility.
3. On some road bikes, the brakes are not available in all hand positions.
4. Narrow tires are more prone to wheel diversions. (Is this true?)
Not sure what a wheel diversion is, but I commute on my road bike, it's the bike I know. I believe if you commute on the bike you are most comfortable controlling, regardless of type, that's the safest option... assuming, of course, the rider is a smart, alert, and safe rider. None of this matters for folks who act like idiots out there (and man, I've seen them all and on all manner of bikes).
Old 05-06-10, 02:51 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
This really makes no sense. If you turned sharply enough to cause a crash on a hybrid, you would have crashed on any other kind of bike. Sounds like either poor tires or rider error to me. I doubt the style of bike made a difference.
Have you ever ridden a Raleigh Twenty ?

Braking issues aside (and these can be fixed) these are one of the most stable bikes ever made.

A lot of small wheeled and folding bikes also have this level of stability and believe this is one of the reasons so many people are buying them... not just because they can be transported but because there is a sureness about them when you are riding.

Many people I have talked to who ride folders are new to cycling or have returned to cycling after a log break and the stability of these bikes was one of the biggest selling features.

You won't race one but for urban riding they are excellent.
Old 05-06-10, 05:52 PM
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsuru
Not sure what a wheel diversion is, but I commute on my road bike, it's the bike I know. I believe if you commute on the bike you are most comfortable controlling, regardless of type, that's the safest option... assuming, of course, the rider is a smart, alert, and safe rider. None of this matters for folks who act like idiots out there (and man, I've seen them all and on all manner of bikes).
I don't know if "wheel diversion" is a technical term, but I think I know what he means. It's held true in my experience that skinner tires are more prone to lateral movement in certain road conditions. I'm talking things like grooved pavement, seams in the road, things like that.

And oh yeah, there was the time I crashed hard after getting a wheel stuck in a groove in a trolley track recessed into the street. Bad move on my part, taking the track at a bad angle, but it would have been less likely to happen with a wider tire. (These might be atypical conditions though.)
Old 05-06-10, 08:56 PM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Huh... well, if that's what he's talking about, a little awareness goes along way, skinny tires or not.
Old 05-07-10, 09:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Personally I still contend that a safe rider on a recumbent has several advantages. First of all you are not all humped up like a dog. Unlike DF riders you are not staring down or at your front whee.. That means you are sitting back with a 180+ view of whats going on. Your hands are on the brakes levers at all times. You are comfortable and at ease, so you are alert. Many recumbents have wider tires that will roll over many imperfectons in the road and not get caught.
Old 05-07-10, 09:43 AM
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Personally I still contend that a safe rider on a recumbent has several advantages. First of all you are not all humped up like a dog. Unlike DF riders you are not staring down or at your front whee.. That means you are sitting back with a 180+ view of whats going on. Your hands are on the brakes levers at all times. You are comfortable and at ease, so you are alert. Many recumbents have wider tires that will roll over many imperfectons in the road and not get caught.
Sounds exactly like a comfort bike, but without the learning curve of a recumbent.
Old 05-07-10, 10:14 AM
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Personally I still contend that a safe rider on a recumbent has several advantages. First of all you are not all humped up like a dog.
??
Old 05-07-10, 01:10 PM
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
??
Yeah... lost me too. Even in the drops, flying along, I have a clear view of everything around me except maybe the sky directly above me. So, yeah, if you include the possibility of a plane crashing into you or a hawk swooping in for the kill, I guess 'bents are safer?