Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Reformatory Branch Trail Concord to Arlington

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Reformatory Branch Trail Concord to Arlington

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Goodness, I agree that's a lot of incidents. And a lot of irresponsible dog ownership. I do understand the desire to let them roam free now and again but dogs and strangers on bikes is just not a good mix.

It's a constant battle. Chelmsford, where I live, has a town-wide leash requirement, but it's seen as a serving suggestion. Neighboring Carlisle and Westford do not. When we had a dog, we kept her on the leash at all times and everywhere, because she was easily spooked and had a poor recall. One memorable exception was over the line in Westford, on a walk we had taken dozens of times together, without ever seeing so much as a squirrel. Wouldn't you know, a minute after I let her off the leash, she "found" a porcupine with her muzzle. That was a painful experience for her, and for our wallet ($400 vet bill, I think). And they don't learn! Vet said they often see it happen to the same dog again.
awww poor thing

just a note, the Concord Animal Control Officer didn't say where the dog bites took place. I had told her about the one my Wife read about on nextdoor.com, a cpl days ago, in the area I marked on the map above & asked the officer if that person reported it to her office. she said: "I don't know, I haven't been in the office in days & there have been 15 dog bites" her exact words

back to porcupines. I was once exploring in NH, in my Jeep & came across an enormous dead porcupine along a paved road. I thought it would be interesting to take photos. so I turned around & approached on foot. I never touched the animal but I did get close to take close up photos & somehow I was struck, or stung or whatever you call it by at least 1 maybe 2, I don't remember, quills! I swear I never touched it because it smelled gross & flies were swirling around it. do those things have proximity sensors & can shoot quills?! even after death?! eek! anyway - it's a beast to avoid for sure!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-31-23, 09:28 AM

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
back to porcupines. I was once exploring in NH, in my Jeep & came across an enormous dead porcupine along a paved road. I thought it would be interesting to take photos. so I turned around & approached on foot. I never touched the animal but I did get close to take close up photos & somehow I was struck, or stung or whatever you call it by at least 1 maybe 2, I don't remember, quills! I swear I never touched it because it smelled gross & flies were swirling around it. do those things have proximity sensors & can shoot quills?! even after death?! eek! anyway - it's a beast to avoid for sure!
They absolutely cannot shoot the quills. We have a very dedicated and knowledgeable wildlife rehabilitator here in Chelmsford, with a large following on FB, Instagram, Patreon, etc., and this is one of the things she has to keep telling people. The quills are purely defensive and porcupines, if left alone, are very peaceful animals. However, the barbs on those things are nasty indeed.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 06-04-23, 05:17 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
but 15 recent dog bites in Concord seems high to me
“When our mail carriers are bitten, it is usually a ‘good dog’ that had not previously behaved in a menacing way,” USPS Occupational Safety and Health Senior Director Linda DeCarlo said in a news release.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/04/us/us...rnd/index.html
Old 08-26-23, 07:59 AM
EDP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I really enjoy this trail. I will often take the side trip to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery if I'm riding with someone visiting town to show them "Author's Ridge", as well as a second side trip at the end to see the Minuteman Bridge in Concord.

When I'm by myself I almost always combine this trail with the Narrow Gauge RR trail in the same trip.
Likes For EDP:
Old 04-10-24, 11:44 AM

fwiw - took a peak at it on my way home driving yesterday, where it crosses route 62 in Bedford looks like a real mud-fest down there on the north side of 62