Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Question about Brooks saddle

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Question about Brooks saddle

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I have a Brooks B67, C17 and a Velo Orange touring saddle that is a knock off of the Brooks Flyer design (sprung B17), as well as some vintage Wrights and other leather saddles.

The VO saddle is made of some thick leather and still is not broken in, in the sense of suppleness, but is comfortable for hours and hours of riding.

The B67 has softened somewhat but is very comfortable for all day upright style riding. It starts to feel like my butt might hurt but then the feeling goes away.

I want to like the C17, and for moderate distance it is great, because I like the weather proofness and look of it.. but it does feel a little too hard for long distance.. I plan to try a carved version at some point to see if that works a little better.

Brooks, or any other saddle for that matter, aren't for everyone but they have been around a long time and are probably the most common saddle I see on the road on tour bikes that are doing long distance. I like the design aesthetic and find them more comfortable than the others I have tried.

Old 04-05-20, 04:31 PM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
The mention of an ACA group above reminded me of one of the ACA trips I did. One guy that had a Brooks flipped his bike upside down in the campsite to work on it, nothing serious he might have just been looking for glass shards in the tires or some preventative action.

He left his bike upside down until the next morning so the saddle was on the ground, the blue bike in the photo. Heavy rain during the night. By the time I took the photo, the large puddle that his saddle had been sitting in had drained, but I think his saddle was submerged for at least two hours.

That is not a good way to treat any leather saddle.

When I think I have gotten a new saddle about 75 percent broken in, I apply Proofide, top and bottom. Apply on a hot day outside and the sunlight helps warm up the Proofide so it soaks into the leather better. Once you have applied that, your leather is much more water resistant. I am not saying you do not need a rain cover, I still use a rain cover every time it starts to sprinkle. And I always put a rain cover on it in the evening in case there is a heavy dew. Prior to applying the Proofide, I am obsessive about making sure that a new untreated saddle does not get rained on, if you cycle on an untreated saddle that has been soaked, it will look like a hammock.
Old 04-05-20, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

He left his bike upside down until the next morning so the saddle was on the ground. Heavy rain during the night. By the time I took the photo, the large puddle that his saddle had been sitting in had drained
Hey, now that's a Bozo move that someone such as myself could appreciate. And yea, most of the time I leave a cheap plastic shower cap over my saddle at night or when riding in the rain.
Old 04-06-20, 06:47 AM
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I see the original poster has not returned in the 9 days since they started it. But in case they do, they should know that B17s have minimal aft adjustability; they will not slide back very far on the rails. I wish I knew this before buying one, because I ended up spending another $100 on a set back seat post just to get it in proper position for my bike fit.

Once I got that sorted out, I've found it to be a good saddle for touring right out of the box. I've put around 4,000 miles on it. Mostly long days on month-long tours through the desert Southwest.

And/but if you're used to lightweight bike parts, the weight of a B17 will truly offend your sensibilities.