Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 03:00 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Saw a rat crossing the street. They move fast!
Yes they do. On Tuesday night, a pair were running in a circle together, very fast. I ended up rolling fairly close to them, and then after I was past them, I realized I should have tried running over one. Then a minute later, there was another rat, so I aimed to run him over but it was too hard. Man, I hate them. The city is trying to reduce their population, but it's a tough job.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-08-18, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Then a minute later, there was another rat, so I aimed to run him over but it was too hard. Man, I hate them. The city is trying to reduce their population, but it's a tough job.
No-no-no! You aim to JUMP over them ;-)

My late dog once spot a muskrat. These creatures can make a creepy spine-chilling high pitch when in distress too! I remember it vividly. (Be careful though ’cause rats may carry diseases.)

Last edited by Bikewolf; 11-08-18 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 07:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes they do. On Tuesday night, a pair were running in a circle together, very fast. I ended up rolling fairly close to them, and then after I was past them, I realized I should have tried running over one. Then a minute later, there was another rat, so I aimed to run him over but it was too hard. Man, I hate them. The city is trying to reduce their population, but it's a tough job.
When you missed, I hope you said, "RATS!"

It was a damp and dreary morning here. Only tree rodents in my way here. At least two kamikaze squirrels trying to get the acorns fallen in the street.
Old 11-09-18, 08:40 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Tree rats, yum. Tasty in Brunswick stew.

Commute was ho-hum. Light shower, enough traffic it was hard to sit up and look around. Rode with a rain jacket on, so the damp on my arms is sweat, the wet on my legs is rain, and on my torso it's a mix from riding with the zipper open.
Old 11-09-18, 08:59 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I took Citi Bike today as I normally do on Fridays. This time I wore my helmet. I've been skipping my helmet on Citi Bike, and I've decided that's a bad practice, because ya nevah know. I'll even carry my helmet this weekend rather than leaving it in the office as I did last Friday evening.

The headwind was strong today, and I am TIRED! I need to recover from all that effort. I got a bike with a NuVinci hub, and surprisingly, it was working perfectly well. A lot of them don't give the top range of ratios.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-09-18, 10:09 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Yesterday I took the road bike to work as it was supposed to be clear all day. Sometime in the late evening to early morning we were supposed to get about 3" of snow, but that wasn't scheduled to happen until after I'd gone to bed.

Well, they blew that. I glanced out the window Thursday afternoon at 4:20 and noticed it was snowing. The temp had been below freezing for several days, which meant the ground was cold enough that the wet snow was freezing when it hit the ground and anything else. Crap! I rode the wrong bike.

I decided not to wait around for conditions to get worse, so I ran and changed my clothes and headed home as soon as I could. I had originally planned to run an errand after work but I decided to push that off. Good thing I did. The ride home was pretty "iffy" in spots. Those thin 23c tires on my road bike don't grip very well in snow and ice. To make matters worse, a couple miles down the road I hit the brakes and.... nothing. My brakes were completely frozen. I worked on things and got my front brake about half going, but obviously in slick conditions that's not the one you want working. I gingerly finished the ride home taking care not to make any sudden turns or needing sudden stops. Thankfully I made it home without incident.

This morning the 3" of snow never arrived. We got about 1/2" out of the previous evening's mess. There was plenty of ice on the ground still so I took the winter bike for its inaugural ride of the season.

Temp was 14F and there was a 20 mph headwind. Wind chill was -6F. Between the temp, the wind and the fact that my winter bike is a hog I averaged about 9 mph. The fastest I hit down some big hills was 15. To add insult to injury, I had to work really hard to maintain those pathetically slow speeds, so I arrived at work a sweaty mess.

This was my first ride with my new bar mitts. I've decided there are plusses and negatives with them. On the plus side, they worked really well to keep my hands warm. I still wore my regular winter gloves, and with the added layer of protection of the bar mitts my hands were toasty. The negative side was the mitts really limit my hand movement, and I didn't realize how often I make slight hand position changes even on a flat bar. I found my hands and wrists getting pretty tired by the time I got to work as I couldn't move my hands around very well inside the mitts.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 11-09-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 10:15 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
33F, gray. This week I have ridden more than last month, sad to say.
Old 11-09-18, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Can't believe it rained last night given it was -12c a few days prior; roads were super icey (the yard at work was worse; had to go find a chunk of 140 chain from the back 40 and was skating around the yard in workboots lol). Studs are my friend!
Old 11-09-18, 04:33 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Yesterday was kind of a fiasco. At Cosco, I walked in at 9:03, and those three minutes put me at the end of a 45 minute line to drop off my truck. Then my ride was longer than I expected because the path that I found was barely more than a game trail. By the time I got to work it was nearly lunchtime. For the rest of the day, I was fielding calls from my wife, who was fielding calls from Costco that the Lugnuts on the truck were all ruined. Apparently there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for making crappy Lugnuts and we’re just the latest victims. So she had to drive all over town with three tykes in her van to every auto parts store in order to make up a full set of 24 lug nuts, and by the time I got home she was ready to order takeout and go to bed early.
Old 11-11-18, 11:27 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
No ride tomorrow. Nanny won’t need to pick up kiddo, his daycare is closed for the holiday, so I can keep the truck. Glad for this, as it’s smoky AF

Old 11-12-18, 08:15 AM

Chilly but not too bad at 37F this morning. Rain is coming and supposed to last all day and into the night. I may get a pick-up after work if it is bad.

Traffic was low this morning as schools and other businesses are closed for Veteran's Day. I took the kids to our small town Veterans parade Sunday afternoon. It was sunny and nice out for that.
Old 11-12-18, 08:27 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

This morning I realized that whenever the temperature and the headwind read the same number, the commute may be a bit on the slow side. 18°F with an 18 mph wind. Although it hasn't been above freezing in about a week, the ice from Thursday night's snow had evaporated so I was able to take the hybrid rather than my winter bike. So at least I didn't have to fight the resistance of studded tires on top of the wind and cold.

My clients are closed for labor day today. Our office isn't which means I still had to come to work. But I don't have to ride anywhere during the day for a change. I can stay here all day and don't have to worry about riding until it's time to go home. In fact, because I'm not spending my lunch hour riding to a client's office, I can probably take a nap on the couch in one of our break rooms. It's been a while since I've had a good mid-day nap.

The high temp today is supposed to peak at 22°F sometime this morning, and then drop throughout the rest of the day. At least I shouldn't have to fight the same wind on the way home tonight.
Old 11-12-18, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I misread the weather page this morning, thinking it said about 50° and intermittent rain but it turned out to be 30's and heavy. So I'm in shorts and rain jacket, gloves soaked through, not fun at all.
Old 11-12-18, 11:08 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Last night I rode through the area where the gas leak explosion happened a few months ago. It's finally all cleared up. That was a much bigger disaster than I had thought. The street has new pavement now.

This morning's ride was very nice. I'm so lucky I can enjoy my commute so much. I love my commuter bike, and it was nice to be back on it. It's so much nicer than the Citi Bike fleet.

Old 11-12-18, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
It is also nice to ride in the rain :-)
But it was a good shower.

Less fun are people without any visibility, or those bipeds who are playing the Stupid app (holding an eyehugger device).

But it was a good shower.
Old 11-12-18, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I misread the weather page this morning, thinking it said about 50° and intermittent rain but it turned out to be 30's and heavy. So I'm in shorts and rain jacket, gloves soaked through, not fun at all.
Ugh. Not nice I'm sure. And here at 5pm and I'm getting a rescue from my wife due 41F and this:
Old 11-12-18, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
Ugh. Not nice I'm sure. And here at 5pm and I'm getting a rescue from my wife due 41F and this:
That's what I'm looking at also, but it should warm up slightly, before I leave. Better than this morning anyway.
Old 11-13-18, 04:58 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Wet ride today. Steady rain, not terribly heavy but no escaping it, not very cold but cold enough. Hard to see the potholes and cracks in the asphalt through the puddles and glare from the streetlights. Not a fun ride.

My Ikea rain poncho is pretty good, but my feet get pretty wet, mainly from water thrown up by my front wheel. I have a good mudflap on there, too, but it's not enough.

Ugh.
Old 11-13-18, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's what I'm looking at also, but it should warm up slightly, before I leave. Better than this morning anyway.
Originally Posted by rhm
Wet ride today. Steady rain, not terribly heavy but no escaping it, not very cold but cold enough. Hard to see the potholes and cracks in the asphalt through the puddles and glare from the streetlights. Not a fun ride.

My Ikea rain poncho is pretty good, but my feet get pretty wet, mainly from water thrown up by my front wheel. I have a good mudflap on there, too, but it's not enough.

Ugh.
I think cold rain in the dark is my least favorite and most avoided weather for biking. That's what I would have had last night if my wife hadn't picked me up.

This morning was a light drizzle and low 40s F, but daylight. I rode and was fine. Jacket sleeves and lower part of tights are damp, but I never got cold. Forecast is for rain all day, so I'll just see what the afternoon looks like later.
Old 11-13-18, 08:11 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

11F this morning, but the wind was pretty light so really it wasn't bad. Rode the hybrid without the studded tires and just dodged the ice patches, which wasn't too difficult.

I noticed the river is almost completely frozen over now. The ice won't be thick enough to walk on for a couple more weeks, but it's getting there.
Old 11-13-18, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Same here although was a bit more tropical.. 16-18F. Rode the winter beater with studs also just in case, a few ice patches.

Although it seems slower according to my time I was only a couple minutes slower than the other bike. Need to get some replacement studs for a few that came out. I think I'll get 10 years out of them easy but would really like to upgrade the winter beater to a bike with 700's.
Old 11-13-18, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
31F. Windchill made feel a lot colder. Unusual cold for Texas. But comfortable with some extra layers. ;-)
Old 11-13-18, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
29F this morning, not sure what it was with windchill. The prediction was for our first accumulating snow so last night I got the studded tire bike all ready to go. This morning... nothing. I'm not disappointed, I really hate riding the winter bike. At least now it's ready!
Old 11-13-18, 09:20 AM
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
cold!

21 w/ a 15 mph NW wind dropping the windchill down to 9. (and 80% of my morning route is due north, right into that NW wind this morning).

my first single digit windchill ride of the season. face-mask time!
Old 11-13-18, 09:24 AM
aka Tom Reingold

@Tundra_Man, your stories and perseverance amaze me.

Today is a big day for me, and I really did not want to skip the bike and spend hours on the subway. I have a rehearsal for a concert in Brooklyn at 7pm. The rain is due to stop around midday. So I wore a set of clothes I wouldn't need to change back into, and I brought a complete set of clothes, including shoes. That saying from Minnesota proved true for me today. ("There's no bad weather, only bad clothing.")

It took too long for me to pack everything this morning, so I once again learned the lesson that I should pack up at night.

Having the bike/ped path so empty was nice. The bad drainage on the path isn't so nice. Some puddles are big and impossible to steer around.

Another lesson: it is well overdue for me to install fenders on my commuter bike!

But I didn't get terribly wet, and I was too hot rather than too cold, so I have no big complaints. I feel triumphant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.