Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 11:20 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Yesterday's storm was worse than some predicted, particularly taking by surprise the governments responsible for keeping the roads safe. Many people commuting by all modes were very delayed, sometimes for five hours. In West Orange, NJ, some kids had to sleep at school. I'm not sure conditions were slicker than usual because of the nature of the storm or because there was no sanding or salting. I'm glad I didn't take my bike!

We had heavy rain overnight, and the temperature steadily rose at the same time, so here in NYC, the snow is almost completely gone. I played it safe, but I think I could have cycled. It's just as well. It's very windy. Lots of trees were downed or broken.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-16-18, 12:27 PM

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I tried that too but if it weren't for the weather this time of year I wouldn't have anything to write about! 30F this morning and most of the ice and snow are gone... except on the bridges. I expected them to still be icy, didn't want to ride the studded tire bike, and almost didn't ride at all but figured I would ride my regular commuter and walk across the bridges. Right, stop and get off and walk! There are 4 bridges on the MUP for my route. They were all horrible rutted ice and interesting to see the road leading to and from them stays icy as well. I didn't fall but scared the crap outta myself. The sun's out and supposed to get into the upper 30's so I'm expecting less terror going home.
More power to ya. I've ridden in sleet, but that was way before I moved to Southern California. I enjoy reading about people who do it regularly, however!

As opposed to yesterday morning, on last night's ride home and then this morning's, had good encounters with other commuters. Last night it was a doctor, who said that he sees three times as many bike accident patients as motorcyclist patients. We also lamented how virtually no one rides here, given our weather. He's only been out here three years, maybe he'll learn.

This morning, I had a good head of steam approaching Chinatown, but then noticed a cyclist on the side of the road with his wheel off. I stopped, and it was another commuter I'd met before. (Oddly, he works at a hospital, too ...) He had somehow ripped a hole in his tire, and was looking for something to patch it with. Since I generally carry a small workshop in my pannier, I gave a him a piece of sandpaper that he thought would do the trick. It's always nice to help a fellow cyclist in need.
Old 11-16-18, 01:55 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My 5.5 mile ride home from the station usually takes 20 or 25 minutes. Yesterday it took 55. I could have ridden it all, but there were several stretches where the roadway was too narrow for both me and all the cars, so I was obliged to walk. Where cars hadn't messed up the snow I was able to ride well enough, though traction was starting to become an issue. But the worst was the actual road, where the snow was crushed into an uneven layer almost like ice. I could ride on that, too, where it was even, but it was often uneven enough to steer the bike out from under me. So it was slow.

I saw a beaver swimming in the canal, though....
Old 11-16-18, 09:49 PM
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yesterday's storm was worse than some predicted, particularly taking by surprise the governments responsible for keeping the roads safe. Many people commuting by all modes were very delayed, sometimes for five hours. In West Orange, NJ, some kids had to sleep at school. I'm not sure conditions were slicker than usual because of the nature of the storm or because there was no sanding or salting. I'm glad I didn't take my bike!.
Those poor kids (and teachers and other personnel who stayed with them) in West Orange! I hope it was fun for them. Apparently they started serving French toast at 5:30am, and they were able to get all the kiddos home by 9am that next morning? I'm sure NJDOT was working hard to get the roads cleared so they could get those kids home. Man oh man!
Old 11-19-18, 07:44 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Crazy situation with the early snow and ice up there. I didn't even hear about it until this forum this morning.

We had a nice weekend with cool mornings and warm 60+F afternoons. I took advantage and gave the bike a good cleaning on Saturday. It rode nicely this morning and I slowed way down for any puddles to prevent mucking it up on the first ride out. A cool 39F was comfortable. It is supposed to be over 60F again today. Great fall weather here!
Old 11-19-18, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I DROVE in today, although I'm going to regret it this afternoon given our beautiful weather. I just felt like reminding myself that I ride because I like to, and have a choice ... even if it's been 3 or 4 years since the last time.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Warmest morning I've had in more than a week at 28°F.....
Tundra Man, now you have a chance to catch me since you're still keeping count of consecutive commutes. Just hang in there another 6 months or so!
Old 11-19-18, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
34 and rain - yuck. I'd have preferred a couple degrees colder and snow
Old 11-19-18, 09:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
cold today. 2C (35F) and windy. clear skies.

nice seaside winter day actually.
Old 11-19-18, 10:06 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Glad to be back on the bike after five days off (day-long soaking rain followed by a business trip). Were the city streets this bad when I left, or did I get soft driving all those days?

Pretty nice ride in, though I was running late and the recovery ride... wasn't. Upper body is dealing with aftereffects of dealing with leaves. A lady stopped yesterday while I was working to ask my permission (!?) to take a picture of the maples -- they're beautiful trees in the fall, red on the bottom, golden in the middle, and yellow-green up top. But they drop a pile of leaves!
Old 11-19-18, 11:03 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
32F, fog, fortunately no black ice

Old 11-19-18, 12:56 PM

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I need new tires on the minivan (AKA "Bike Transporter"), so I drove it to my favorite cheap mechanic, and had a nice long ride to work along the LA River. Nine miles instead of the five or so that I usually do. Wore an LA River Ride jersey in honor of the route, and was rewarded with lots of birdlife. Three Great Blue Herons, which have always been one of my favorite birds. Canada Geese, Mallards, Coots, and Black-Necked Stilts to round out the morning viewing. Would be fun to take that route every day.
Old 11-19-18, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I DROVE in today, although I'm going to regret it this afternoon given our beautiful weather. I just felt like reminding myself that I ride because I like to, and have a choice ... even if it's been 3 or 4 years since the last time.

Tundra Man, now you have a chance to catch me since you're still keeping count of consecutive commutes. Just hang in there another 6 months or so!
Oh man, driving home, stalled vehicles blocking traffic, sitting at lights cycle after cycle, line jumpers, people creeping forward when there's no place to go, creeping forwards when they SHOULD be going somewhere, drivers that can't merge and drivers that just merge regardless of what's there, buying gas, and getting home later than if I'd have ridden it even with 4 miles on the highway, all reminds me of why I hate to drive to work and back.
Old 11-20-18, 08:32 AM

Nice ride this morning despite the overcast, it beats the heavy mist on the ride home last night. We went from early autumn to late autumn in about 10 days -- most of the leaves fell last week, but there are a few maples hanging on to limbs of bright yellow that light up the (otherwise drab) landscape.
Old 11-20-18, 08:39 AM
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive work commute number 652:

18F this morning, which was actually warmer than my ride home last night. I put on an extra sweatshirt between my windbreaker and my work shirt, which felt great when I left the house but was a little too much by the time I arrived.

The wind was blowing from the south, which meant a tail wind. For some reason though, it didn't feel like a tail wind today. Just didn't feel much of a push out of it.

Brought an extra saddlebag. My Ortleib bags are so huge that normally I can fit everything I ever haul into one, so the other one just stays at home. Every year my workplace gives out Thanksgiving turkeys to all of the employees, so I brought the second bag in which I can haul it home. And yes, a 15 lbs turkey easily fits in an Ortlieb saddlebag.
Old 11-20-18, 08:41 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Sunday night, I had trouble sleeping, as it seemed I was developing a cold, and my sinuses were too clogged to breathe through my nose. I breathed through my mouth in my sleep, which was very uncomfortable. Fortunately, it's very damp here and cool, and the riding seems to have helped a lot. The interiors of buildings are too dry, so thank goodness for the humidity outside. At this point, I don't think I got the cold. I slept better last night, and I was careful not to use too many blankets in bed. I need to get the humidifiers out of storage.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-18, 10:41 AM
GATC

27F, blinding sun, then blinding fog

Old 11-20-18, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
32F and wet but not raining. My last day of the week - happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-20-18, 10:48 AM
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Cold but...

Cold. Low 20s, but that did not stop the Gonzaga men's crew team from rowing practice this AM on the Spokane River!
Old 11-20-18, 10:49 AM

Much better today, perfect for no-changing, no-cleanup commute. Only the hills were a challenge for my single-speed, trying to stay between getting over them at a reasonable speed and starting to sweat. I'll take the longer flat route home, and probably take it easy.
Old 11-20-18, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
32°F / 0°C in the morning nowadays.

Today reminded me how few layers one needs, no matter how cheap.
Old 11-20-18, 02:24 PM
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
I need new tires on the minivan (AKA "Bike Transporter"), so I drove it to my favorite cheap mechanic, and had a nice long ride to work along the LA River. Nine miles instead of the five or so that I usually do. Wore an LA River Ride jersey in honor of the route, and was rewarded with lots of birdlife. Three Great Blue Herons, which have always been one of my favorite birds. Canada Geese, Mallards, Coots, and Black-Necked Stilts to round out the morning viewing. Would be fun to take that route every day.
That sounds amaaazing! I love herons! Sounds like an excellent commute.

I get to ride along a segment of the Platte River in the Denver/metro area, and I'm always impressed by the birds that live and migrate through that area.
Old 11-21-18, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I drove yesterday because I stayed up too late watching MNF... to see my Chiefs wind up losing to the Rams. Yes, they lost, but what an epic game... but I digress. So my normal 30-min drive home took an hour yesterday evening. No wrecks, but it sure was slow. Happy to be back on the back today, where the trip takes over an hour and I just don't care. :-)
Old 11-21-18, 08:53 AM

Very heavy frost this morning, almost looked like a light snow on the grass, and it was brilliant in the sunlight. My wife was grumbling about scraping her windshield; I may have felt smug, but I had the sense to keep quiet. I might end up having to move the bikes onto the porch and sleeping with them so she could park the car in the garage.

I think I had to scrape almost a dozen times last winter. I had to scrape twice last week while out of town, and then Friday when I got home. Does that mean winter's a quarter over already?
Old 11-21-18, 10:14 AM
GATC

42F, heavy drizzle. Supposed to get ~4" this weekend, but seasonal over a few days not just one warm pineapple express dump over some hours.
Old 11-21-18, 04:24 PM
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by tundra_man
out the door early so i could swing by my polling place and vote before i rode to work. Usually if i'm there when the doors open it's a ghost town. Today i was about 15th in line and by the time i finished there were about 50 people waiting. Good to see people turning out to vote.

As a result of the line, i was about 15 minutes late getting to work. The ride to work was pretty cold. 34°f with a stiff 20 mph headwind. The last two miles were unsheltered and straight into it, so even on my road bike it was slow going. But i made it.

Last night i got my winter bicycle ready for the coming season. New rear wheel, cassette, chain and bar mitts. Went through everything else and tweaked the adjustments as necessary. Had to remove my 3rd backup headlight to make room for the bar mitts. I hardly ever used it anyway, as my 2nd backup is my helmet light. It would be a really strange development to lose two lights in a commute.
that thing is a monster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.