Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who has separate bicycle insurance?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who has separate bicycle insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Huh? Insurance companies are in business to put money in their pockets.
Insurance is basically a regulated financial service. There's an old story, that a visitor from overseas was taking a tour of New York City. The guide took him past the boat docks: "These are the docks where the bankers have their yachts. And these over here are the docks where the stockbrokers have their yachts."

The visitor asked: "Where are the yachts belonging to their customers?"
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-16-20, 05:11 PM
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Insurance

I keep my antique and collectible bicycles in a 20ft. shipping container, locked up with a puck lock. I also have a WiFi camera, that is connected to my cell phone, with an audible outdoor alarm.

Last edited by GiovanniLiCalsi; 11-16-20 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-17-20, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I'm another one who feels insurance just isn't worth the money. You are typically dollars ahead if you save the money rather than giving it to an insurance company.

Extended warranties are really nothing more than pre-paying for your repairs. Little question they don't pay for themselves.
Old 11-17-20, 12:18 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If this is OT, I’ll start a new thread.

Liability insurance involving a pedestrian or another bicycle.

If a cyclist hits someone else and that person is injured, is it a homeowners/renters insurance issue?

Should there be a separate rider on the policy?

Is a separate liability policy recommended?

John
Old 11-17-20, 12:40 PM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I just checked my insurance and it sucks. my deductible means I would have to replace my bike out of pocket before insurance kicks in if it was stolen out of my garage. I keep my garage closed but bike thefts have been pretty rampant lately, including some break-ins.
Old 11-17-20, 01:24 PM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I just checked my insurance and it sucks. my deductible means I would have to replace my bike out of pocket before insurance kicks in if it was stolen out of my garage. I keep my garage closed but bike thefts have been pretty rampant lately, including some break-ins.
You could probably find a lower deductible if you are willing to pay higher premiums. But is it worth it?
Old 11-17-20, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
You can buy anchors and some basic chain to keep bikes locked up in the garage. It may not stop a determined adversary but it can definitely prevent a quick grab. I do that just in case the garage is accidentally left open.
Old 11-17-20, 03:16 PM
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
You can buy anchors and some basic chain to keep bikes locked up in the garage. It may not stop a determined adversary but it can definitely prevent a quick grab. I do that just in case the garage is accidentally left open.
I already do that, but there seems to be an unending stream of professionals in Austin who come prepared for that.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You could probably find a lower deductible if you are willing to pay higher premiums. But is it worth it?
maybe for some people I know who have more bikes, and more expensive ones. I could afford to replace my bike(s) if stolen. it would just be a huge bummer.