Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava local legends

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava local legends

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 11:50 AM
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i assume you can now see it. from there, what else can you see? i made two other recent activities visible to everyone.

https://strava.app.link/V66Dkzz1T
The link was easy to find of course and were someone inclined, they could find the others easy enough. But would anyone give enough of a damn to look for it otherwise I think is what someone else had mentioned earlier. Because if your co-workers are Strava stalking you, "they ain't workin' neither".

Edit: This is what I see if I click on your username link from that activity.

Last edited by Chuck M; 07-23-22 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-23-22, 12:26 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
hmmmmm. can’t anyone view an activity if it’s not set to “followers only?” like literally any strava member, as long as they can get to the link somehow? i just changed this activity to “everyone” - i assume you can now see it. from there, what else can you see? i made two other recent activities visible to everyone.

https://strava.app.link/V66Dkzz1T
If given a link, yes - one can view it... but finding an activity without a link, without the benefit of scrolling though a user's profile, or without a FlyBy, is... well, it's not impossible, but it's certainly more effort than most would be willing to invest. Maybe they could guess that you traversed a given segment and, if they're a paying Strava member, they could view the daily leaderboard for a link to your activity? I mean, no offense, but ain't no one interested enough in me or you to jump through those hoops.
Old 07-23-22, 02:47 PM

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If given a link, yes - one can view it... but finding an activity without a link, without the benefit of scrolling though a user's profile, or without a FlyBy, is... well, it's not impossible, but it's certainly more effort than most would be willing to invest. Maybe they could guess that you traversed a given segment and, if they're a paying Strava member, they could view the daily leaderboard for a link to your activity? I mean, no offense, but ain't no one interested enough in me or you to jump through those hoops.
true. i had figured once you found an activity or segment it would lead to all other attempts etc. but without the profile page there’s no easy way to do that.

i switched my activities over and got a couple LL!

Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-31-22, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's
The only way I'll ever get a KOM around here would be if I defined a segment on private property! Though I gotta say, some of the KOM times really make me suspect people didn't turn off their head units before they put the bike in the car!

I was able to create 2 (actually decent) Segments in Oyster Point in SSF and get the KOM for both! And the Local Legend. Its only because the race boyz dont ride the commute routes, but hey, at least I get a KOM. Until someone else figures it out.
Old 07-31-22, 11:53 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
I created a segment for the egocentric idea of at least having a KOM for one day. I rode it the next day at 23 MPH and no KOM? Come to find out that the new segment grabbed all the previous riders and awarded it to a young lady at 34 MPH. I wasn’t even in the top 50. Back to the ego dungeon. Ha! My Strava buddies kid each other when we steal a Local Legend away. Where were you? Out of town?