Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Parking in Pittsburgh

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Parking in Pittsburgh

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
I wish I'd seen this post before I made all our arrangements. The price of parking and a hotel for the night is annoyingly high. At least our ride will help offset the cost. We plan to camp almost every night. Working out logistics for our C&O GAP ride has been too darn stressful.
Have you called one of the motels in the Waterfront area along the trail, e.g. Hampton Inn? They might let you leave your car for a week if you stay with them and it would be safe in their parking lot. There is much parking near that area. To catch the train at 5am, you could leave motel at 4:15am. You would bike on the trail the whole way (8 miles), which is safe in the dark if you have lights.
Old 04-10-22, 10:00 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Have you called one of the motels in the Waterfront area along the trail, e.g. Hampton Inn? They might let you leave your car for a week if you stay with them and it would be safe in their parking lot. There is much parking near that area. To catch the train at 5am, you could leave motel at 4:15am. You would bike on the trail the whole way (8 miles), which is safe in the dark if you have lights.
Hummmm. Thanks. That's a maybe! I'll have to talk it over with my wife. We are set as of now, but your plan would save us some $$.
Old 04-11-22, 08:43 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Hey cccorlew, what is your scheduled departure date? Sunrise is getting earlier every day (today it was 6:48 AM, on June 21 it's 5:49 AM) and it gets light earlier than that.

Originally Posted by cccorlew
Hummmm. Thanks. That's a maybe! I'll have to talk it over with my wife. We are set as of now, but your plan would save us some $$.
I left my car at the Fairfield Inn parking lot in Cumberland with no problem after staying one night there (with permission, of course).
Old 04-11-22, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
I left my car at the Fairfield Inn parking lot in Cumberland with no problem after staying one night there (with permission, of course).
That's usually how hotel stays work.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-22, 11:30 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That's usually how hotel stays work.
​​​​​​
LOL! Okay, to clarify, "while I rode the rest of the GAP over the next two days."