Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Moving with Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-22, 07:45 PM

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
If you can drive them yourself, do so. At least you know they'll be looked after and arrive safe.

I moved half way across the globe with my bikes. I packed up two into cardboard bike boxes I got from the local bike shop. Lots and lots of bubble wrap and pipe insulation to protect them. They were shipped them via sea with the rest of my possessions (everything arrived safely).

My very best bike I took with me in a hard case bike box when I flew over.
Old 03-22-22, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Are you not moving other valuable items and personal heirlooms?
What are you doing with them and why would the bikes be any different?
Add to this: are the bikes irreplaceable? I mean, they're not particularly "fragile" and most are easily replaced assuming the owner has the means or the moving company takes responsibility for not taking reasonable care. Boxing them as for shipment should be sufficient. If they are truly irreplaceable, not just sentimental value, move them yourself. I have no such bikes. I don't worry about properly packaged acoustic guitars, let alone bikes.
Old 03-22-22, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Go over what your insurance policy covers with your agent. Double check with the movers how and what they do for damage claims specifically about bikes...
Good advice. Sometimes the insurance pays a certain amount per pound for damage. Best to check that.
Old 03-22-22, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
One guy used straps to hold the bikes upright.
I guarantee that the pic was pre and not post.

The only secure way to transport a bike without any "packaging", is exactly like doing it with a vehicle.

A bike must be secured by being clamped at the frame, like it was being worked on in a LBS.

Clamped at the wheelset even better, like a platform carrier.

Otherwise it must be "packaged", boxed or one of those hardshell flight cases.
Old 03-22-22, 09:28 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Get some bike boxes from your local bike shop and pack them up.
Old 03-23-22, 03:03 AM

Bikes: Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You carry them yourself,it's the best way
Old 03-23-22, 12:00 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In my own experience the moving companies hire local laborers to do the loading, a contract driver takes the trailer to its destination, and then more local labor is hired to unpack the trailer. Seldom is one dealing with professional workers on the payroll of the moving company. As a result there is more damage and the company managers believe that they can save enough with low priced labor to compensate for damage claims. The problem is when their subs damage something that cannot be repaired or replaced.

I would pack everything as well as possible and that means putting the bikes in bike boxes. The moving company trailers are designed so that an elevated platform can be put at the front of the trailer. This is a good place to put your bikes so they are not impacted by heavier items in the trailer.