Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Tommasini Rebuild

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1989 Tommasini Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 03:24 PM
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by leon6782
Yeah, I think that's where I'm headed. I guess just glue the inner along the entire path where it would normally wear against the frame? Any recommendations on glue type? Might be tough to find something secure that wont damage the paint.
no glue, it won't move
Old 03-05-22, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, finally. Here are some photo of the current state of this build. Threw a few detail shots in there of the rear dropout to show what I did there. Exposing that metal is really the only thing I've changed. Interested to hear thoughts, ideas about any further customization or decisions to make from here on out.

One more question that I just thought of is that the white "T" logo on the fork seems a little shotty. Like, it's not as crisp as others I've seen. Pretty sure this is a custom repaint done at the Tommasini factory, but I'm so interested to know if that whole fork is chrome underneath. I think the small parts of the steel that I have exposed look great. Wondering if I should take it any further to get more bling out the frame.

Likes For leon6782:
Old 03-05-22, 06:13 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Yes, pretty sure it's a repaint and that originally, the fork, head lugs, and entire rear triangle would've been chromed. Diamantes - at least every original, legit one I've ever seen photos of, ooze chrome accentuation.

DD
Old 03-05-22, 06:45 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Yes, pretty sure it's a repaint and that originally, the fork, head lugs, and entire rear triangle would've been chromed. Diamantes - at least every original, legit one I've ever seen photos of, ooze chrome accentuation.

DD
Old 03-06-22, 10:11 AM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
Maybe a respray by the factory, maybe something happened to the frame and it needed a respray? That appears to be a factory paint job, seen on this Tecno here on Ebay: Tommasini TECNO TIG frameset 53 cm 1990's. The diamond on the seat stay looks legit if not a little higher placement than on my Diamante but if it is in an exactly shaped slight depression it is a Diamante seat stay for sure and the BB stamping is consistent with '90s Diamantes. The painted air fork is strange but I know they did some of the back in the '80s on Air Prestiges. I would post over on the

Tommasini timeline and serial number registry

Kevindale has done some great work for Tommasinis and may have good input.

Last edited by easyupbug; 03-06-22 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-06-22, 01:40 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info, easyupbug ! It's definitely a factory repaint job. Confirmed it with Tommasini support via serial number. I haven't noticed any damage or any other reason for the repaint. Fingers crossed it was just for looks. Would be pretty amazing to meet the previous owner to learn more about the history. I bought it on TPC, so really don't know much about the history of the frame.

Anyway, THIS is the Gsheet you're talking about, right? Will reach out to Kevindale soon.

Thanks for the helps so far, all!
Old 05-30-22, 03:00 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Finally closing the loop here. She's pretty much done. Photos below!

I took her for a test ride, and mostly feels great, shifts like butter. The only thing I noticed is some "creeking" sound coming from the headset, when I push/pull on the bars. It's a brand new Record headset, and I thought I installed it properly, but maybe I made a mistake? Any ideas as to what it could be, before I start taking everything apart?

Likes For leon6782:
Old 05-30-22, 06:20 PM

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Wow, very nice. Well done!