Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another PBK credit card fraud incident...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered from PBK for the first time ~4 weeks ago, then read some of the threads on here. Had a transaction declined Tues at the gas pump. Got home to find a message on the machine from Chase fraud dept. Turns out a transaction to iTunes for 99cents at 6AM ET set them off for some reason and it was not my purchase. They immediately shut down the acct.

Anyone have unauthorized iTunes transactions? I'm guessing they are trying to see if the acct is active and charge a small amt that might go unnoticed since a lot of people use iTunes and would assume they had downloaded a song. Also, parent might give kids access to iTunes and would just say, "Jr. must have dowloaded a song" and not really pay attention.

Anyone have something similar haoppen?

I know Paypal does something where on large transactions they first charge $1 to your card which usually triggers the bank to either reject or verify the transaction. I guess small transactions are considered suspicious. I remember in college charging 99 cents at the drive thru window @ Wendys.
Old 04-23-09, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you know it was from PBK?
Old 04-23-09, 10:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilam99
Ordered from PBK for the first time ~4 weeks ago, then read some of the threads on here. Had a transaction declined Tues at the gas pump. Got home to find a message on the machine from Chase fraud dept. Turns out a transaction to iTunes for 99cents at 6AM ET set them off for some reason and it was not my purchase. They immediately shut down the acct.

Anyone have unauthorized iTunes transactions? I'm guessing they are trying to see if the acct is active and charge a small amt that might go unnoticed since a lot of people use iTunes and would assume they had downloaded a song. Also, parent might give kids access to iTunes and would just say, "Jr. must have dowloaded a song" and not really pay attention.

Anyone have something similar haoppen?

I know Paypal does something where on large transactions they first charge $1 to your card which usually triggers the bank to either reject or verify the transaction. I guess small transactions are considered suspicious. I remember in college charging 99 cents at the drive thru window @ Wendys.
The iTunes charge seems to be a pretty standard ploy. Had that happen when we went though the same thing a couple months ago.
Old 04-23-09, 10:41 AM
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
you are one of many with a similar MO - my CC number got sniped too, with random small purchases. chase took care of it.
Old 04-23-09, 10:42 AM
Harsh Generation

Bikes: GMC Yukon XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ditto.^^^
Old 04-23-09, 10:50 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
was that this pbk? https://www.probikekit.com/

if so I ordered from them recently - will keep an eye on my CC.
Old 04-23-09, 10:52 AM
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
+1, three weeks after a PBK purchase. About 6 iTunes charges, and then some attempts at plane tickets, a hotel, and Bed Bath and Beyond of all things. Had the same card for 7 years, and this is the first and only thing that every happened, three weeks after a PBK order. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 04-23-09, 10:59 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have ordered multiple times from PBK and Ribble and not had a single fraudulent charge on my CCs. My guess is it got ripped some place else...but what makes you think it was because of your PBK purchase?
Old 04-23-09, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PBK uses a third-party processor, so i'm assuming they're the ones with the security hole. I had the same thing happen, noticed a pending charge for iTunes last weekend and promptly cancelled the card.

Will now only use Citicards virtual card numbers with PBK.
Old 04-23-09, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Madone 5.2, Specialized Allez Epic, Giant RiconSE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelrod
How do you know it was from PBK?
++1
I had that experience few months ago. Didn't think it was connected to PBK. However, the description was identical. Scarry ...need to think twice before using oversea trascation.

PS- I dont usually use Paypal and yes..the report from my cc also have .99 cents charges on it and then it hits big time-$3000.

OP - Please explain why do you think it from PBK or Euro online shopping for that matter.
Old 04-23-09, 11:03 AM

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix, 2007 Windsor The Hour, 2008 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, there's a long thread about this. Apparently a lot of the British shops use the same clearing house for credit card transactions and this is happening to everyone. I had the same thing. A few months after purchase, an iTunes charge, followed by SonyStyle, followed by something else. I've also heard about the flights to Turkey.

Seems like it would be easy to solve...
Old 04-23-09, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the other thread for those who doubt: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/514152-credit-card-problems-online-shops-uk.html
Old 04-23-09, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I have ordered multiple times from PBK and Ribble and not had a single fraudulent charge on my CCs. My guess is it got ripped some place else...but what makes you think it was because of your PBK purchase?
Grasschopper,
How long ago with your recent purchase?

BTW, what is the difference with Citibank? Is that something i can setup at the State ...or must be w/ PBK>
Overall, i not sure about shopping with PBK or Ribble...etc..
Even though it is not there fault but with the thrid party shopping trascation ..that really forces you to re-consider.
Old 04-23-09, 11:09 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aw crap...

i just made my first PBK purchase. i think i'll just have my account number changed as soon as PBK charges me...
Old 04-23-09, 11:12 AM
member. heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just chiming in to say this happened to me too. Got a call yesterday about a few small purchases... the rep explained they usually try a few small things first to see if they get caught. Anyway, Wachovia is removing the charges and sending me a new card.

And this is definitely due to PBK/their processor, as I haven't used that card otherwise.
Old 04-23-09, 11:17 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wkend_Warrior
Grasschopper,
How long ago with your recent purchase?

BTW, what is the difference with Citibank? Is that something i can setup at the State ...or must be w/ PBK>
Overall, i not sure about shopping with PBK or Ribble...etc..
Even though it is not there fault but with the thrid party shopping trascation ..that really forces you to re-consider.
My last purchase was with PBK on 1/25/09 for $232.56 I use my Chase Mastercard...used the same card for all of my Ribble and PBK purchases.
Old 04-23-09, 11:24 AM
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilam99
I know Paypal does something where on large transactions they first charge $1 to your card which usually triggers the bank to either reject or verify the transaction.
Yep, I ordered something from PBK a few weeks ago, then bought something via Paypal a few days later and there was a charge for $1. It had been a long while since I'd used Paypal, and with all of these threads about PBK lately I was worried and called my bank to check on it. They said it's normal with Paypal, and that the $1 charge would go away within a few days, which it did. I'm still checking my account daily for any small purchases though.
Old 04-23-09, 11:25 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hmm I used a mastercard and it has that protection thing where you have to enter a password to authenticate your payment. I hope this helps! I might ring up my bank and warn them I don't use itunes!
Old 04-23-09, 11:28 AM
Just Peddlin' Along

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ordered from PBK last week and I just saw a charge on my acct for $1:
CHECKCARD 04/23 APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA

Coincidence? My info could have been swiped anywhere over the 'net.
I contacted my bank and have a watch item on this transaction since it still in a pending state.
Old 04-23-09, 11:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's interesting that in our little world this has happened to so many people. If you extrapolate that out to the general riding population, I would think a LOT of people are getting hit. And yet the companies selling things refuse to acknowledge it's happening, even though they are not the problem.
Old 04-23-09, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where the OP...He/she started the post and yet return to explain further..
Old 04-23-09, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I got a fraudulent charge of $450 to Apple Itunes on my card. That is a lot of music.
Old 04-23-09, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
****. Is it guaranteed that I'll get a fraudulent charge if I order from PBK?

I bought with my Citi Debit card. Does that make a difference?
Old 04-23-09, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, based on the number of people affected here it's quite a large percentage. I wonder if PBK even knows about it as they have it all done by some credit card processing company. Perhaps if enough people complain they'll switch processors or accept paypal?
Old 04-23-09, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
Yeah, based on the number of people affected here it's quite a large percentage. I wonder if PBK even knows about it as they have it all done by some credit card processing company. Perhaps if enough people complain they'll switch processors or accept paypal?
I've read that a few people complained and were told "there is no problem", BUT, I wonder if the person saying this makes minimum wage and gets bonuses based on the number of calls they take. It COULD BE that mgt has no idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.