Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 05:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Country23141

Hello Everyone, new to forum and just getting back into biking at 52 but I wanted to show off my Volt Green DS 8.3 I just picked up last night. Might not be the color for everyone but I like it. Only other choice was black and there are a lot of black bikes out there.
I'm actually surprised how much I like that colour and the black lettering looks great against the green background.
Old 08-30-15, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is just from very recent personal experience. I think? Lol I am a better than average home bike mechanic, but this puzzled me. On my just recently purchased Trek 7.2 FX Disc, the brakes did not stop like I thought they should stop the bike and compared to other mechanical brakes on other bikes I have owned. I checked and rechecked all the factory adjustments, and fine tuned the F/R levers and adjusters. Then I thought of this...

Cleaned the rotors with rubbing alcohol, and now the brakes are quite crisp and the pull does what I think it should do.

Even on a new bike, do clean the rotors asap, perhaps the LBS doesnt do that for sales prep or a preservative has been applied at the Trek factory of storage.
Old 08-30-15, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I'm actually surprised how much I like that colour and the black lettering looks great against the green background.
Thanks Colonel! I call it Safety Green. I figured if you might get out on the road, which I plan on doing, you might as well be as visible as possible. The only other choice on the 8.3 was the black with blue lettering.
Old 08-30-15, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 8.5ds 2015, Trek Navigatir 300 (2006)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
8.5DS still great after almost 2000 miles except for a slight notchy feel while pedalling. Pic at Emley Moor transmitting station in Kirklees, West Yorkshire, England 1,084-foot (330.4 m) tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150611_173719.jpg (98.6 KB, 374 views)
Old 08-31-15, 12:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS 2015/2016 21"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:
It turns out the fork was not part of the recall, according to a person at Suntour that I spoke with this morning. The forks that are subject to recall have only one bolt internally that holds components together. My fork has two bolts - a different, better fork. As I did realize, the 'serial number' indicated a production date. What I didn't do was think about the fact that there are MANY forks with that same number, as Suntour makes more than 1 fork a day. Duh. The lbs manger thought the same as I did, which makes me feel a LITTLE better... The Suntour rep I spoke with earlier said there was a very small (less than 1%) occurence of bolts that have shown up to be 'brittle'. The bike shop was contacted and they checked the bolts in the fork anyways, to be sure there was not an issue with strength.

So, everything's just fine with the bike. I'll pick it up later this afternoon, and be able to put some miles on it this week.
Old 08-31-15, 09:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a set of bar ends for the 2015/2016 8.3 DS?
Old 09-01-15, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgilby
Can anyone recommend a set of bar ends for the 2015/2016 8.3 DS?
Try some Origin8 bar ends, I have them on my hybrid and like them.

These:
https://www.origin8.bike/product-desc...model_uid=5316

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 09-01-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 06:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
Try some Origin8 bar ends, I have them on my hybrid and like them.

These:
Product Description | Origin8
Thanks. That link takes me to a set of Ergo-Sport Bar ends - are those what you're using? Do they require me to remove/replace the existing stock grips?
Old 09-02-15, 06:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. That link takes me to a set of Ergo-Sport Bar ends - are those what you're using? Do they require me to remove/replace the existing stock grips?
Yes, those are the Bar Ends I purchased, I like them because they are smaller, and rubber coated. You will need to either cut the closed end off your existing grips, or remove them and buy open ended grips.

i prefer buying new grips, as I like to save comfortable closed end grips should I decide to change grips or remove the bar ends. If you purchase those Bar Ends, when installing, gently tap them on the sides to fully seat the bar end on your handlebar end. Also, when removing old grips, hairspray applied to a non marring strip or rigid wood or plastic will help ease removal of the old grips.

Many on the Hybrid forum like the ergo shaped grips, some of these grips come with bar ends attached. Personally, I don't like them, and stick with larger round conventional grips.
Old 09-02-15, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I talked with Trek customer service today, and was told the O.D. of my bar is 28.6mm, a standard size according to Trek. Are most bar ends made to fit that size?
Any suggestion for new grips?
Also, can I expect a bit of trouble getting the existing grips off, or do they typically cooperate without much difficulty?
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by kgilby; 09-05-15 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 06:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I talked with Trek customer service today, and was told the O.D. of my bar is 28.6mm, a standard size according to Trek. Are most bar ends made to fit that size?
Any suggestion for new grips?
Also, can I expect a bit of trouble getting the existing grips off, or do they typically cooperate without much difficulty?
Thanks for your input.
The bar ends are pretty good in tolerences, to fit most bars.

I stick with basic black tubular grips, Oury makes some lock grips I like, but they are expensive,and I don't like the ergo style grips. It was one of the first things I changed on my Trek FX. Avoid any foam type grips, as they do not last long. Most all the component manufacturers offer several types of grips in their lines.

As far as removing the old grips, they can be stubborn at times , some can be removed in 5 minutes, some may take 30 minutes. Normally factory installed grips are pretty tight. Try to find a non marring small plastic lever to work under the grips, using hairspray as a lubricant. Many use a small screwdriver, but that can really scratch up the handlebars. If you don't care if they get scratched (hidden under grips), thats okay, but not for me.
Old 09-05-15, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
The bar ends are pretty good in tolerences, to fit most bars.

I stick with basic black tubular grips, Oury makes some lock grips I like, but they are expensive,and I don't like the ergo style grips. It was one of the first things I changed on my Trek FX. Avoid any foam type grips, as they do not last long. Most all the component manufacturers offer several types of grips in their lines.

As far as removing the old grips, they can be stubborn at times , some can be removed in 5 minutes, some may take 30 minutes. Normally factory installed grips are pretty tight. Try to find a non marring small plastic lever to work under the grips, using hairspray as a lubricant. Many use a small screwdriver, but that can really scratch up the handlebars. If you don't care if they get scratched (hidden under grips), thats okay, but not for me.
Thank. I'll look at the Oury grip, too. I'm taking some time to get a feel for the bike, and may do some adjusting to fine tune the fit. When the bike goes into the shop for its 30 day tune-up I will likely have them install whatever grips I decide on. I'm definitely enjoying the new ride.
Old 09-05-15, 03:40 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.6, 1994 Huffy Rocky Pass MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Country23141

Hello Everyone, new to forum and just getting back into biking at 52 but I wanted to show off my Volt Green DS 8.3 I just picked up last night. Might not be the color for everyone but I like it. Only other choice was black and there are a lot of black bikes out there.
Very nice looking bike. I do agree, the green is a nice change of color. I just got my bike today and its the common black. Hope you enjoy that bike!! Let us know how it goes. I didn't get to ride my much today due to it was so humid. Enclosed is a picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ds.jpg (101.0 KB, 382 views)
Old 09-05-15, 03:46 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.6, 1994 Huffy Rocky Pass MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought the 8.3 DS yesterday, have read most of this thread, and have a couple questions. While on my 1st ride at home, away from the street noise near the shop, I immediately noticed what I think is the front rotor scraping. This is the first bike with discs, so I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not.
I know you already posted another post saying they gave you another bike or something. But anyway, the owner of my LBS told me disc breaks take a bit to break in, and hearing scrapes and not having perfect performance on disc breaks is normal when new. (or least something to that effect).
Old 09-05-15, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bald
I know you already posted another post saying they gave you another bike or something. But anyway, the owner of my LBS told me disc breaks take a bit to break in, and hearing scrapes and not having perfect performance on disc breaks is normal when new. (or least something to that effect).
Glad you brought that up, (break in), I have owned 4 bikes (all new) with disc brakes and forget that every time. My last and most recent (Trek FX Disc), kinda dissapointed me in stopping, but improved after a couple of small things I did (clean rotors- new Avenir teflon coated brake cables). The brakes would stop the bike , but not lock down. Now, they do lock down, because they are broken in.

And I forget each time, each bike, about the break in period you mentioned.

I like all the Dual Sports shwn here.

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 09-05-15 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 08:17 PM

Bikes: 2001 Cannondale T2000, 2002 Cannondale T2000, 1998 Cannondale R300, 1992 Cannondale R500, 1996 Cannondale R500, 2003 Bianchi Brava, 1983 Bianchi Eros

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, just got back from a quick 5mile ride in the forest. I must say I was very impressed with the capability of the 8.4DS. I rode 80% rocky fire roads and 20% technical single track. I expected the stock 700Cx38's to wash out in the rocks, but they actually held their own. Although I must say it is a big bike to throw around in the technical stuff. I may be looking for a 27.5 bike for the technical stuff.
Old 09-06-15, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey All,

I can't seem to find the info online. Does anyone know how much the 2012 Trek 8.5 DS "Gary Fisher" weighs? There's one available at a local auction and i want to know how much lower this weighs than my 33lbs mountian bike. The current bid is around $450. Can anyone recommend up to what price point would still make this bike a good deal? Thanks!

EDIT: I was also thinking that I can reduce the bike weight by removing the front derailler, and connected shifter. and also the front brake and rotor, and connected shifter. I don't any type of agressive or rain riding, and i find myself only using my rear mtb V brake anyways. Can anyone comment if they've done similar mods. Or would taking these things off be just a waste of time?

Last edited by exwhyzed; 09-06-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bald
I've got the same bike - my fork actually was NOT recalled.

The brake issue turned out to be the wheel misaligned in the fork. I'll be cleaning the rotors with alcohol as someone posted here, to see if there's an improvement in braking power - can't hurt.
Old 09-08-15, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS 21" Volt Green 2016

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings all!

New to the forums here. Like many posters here I've been away from bikes for 20+ years. Finally made the decision to buy a volt green 8.3 DS during the first week of August. It came down to a choice between the 8.3 and the 8.4. Decided on the 3 because of the colour, since components are easier to upgrade for me. So, speaking of components, I'm looking at switching out the stem but I'm not too sure about what's on the bike currently (for comparison, so I know what I will want to get). The Trek website says it's a 25.4mm, 25 degree stem, but what is the length? I'm guessing 90mm, but I'm not too sure even after I measure it.

Does anyone know the actual stem length or how to properly get a measurement?
Old 09-08-15, 07:33 PM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'11 and when I bought my 8.4 DS that shop fit me with a 19.5". When I bought my Farley 6 FatBike another shop, which is my goto LBS now, fit me on a 17.5" which feels great! Wish my DS was a 17.5".

Last edited by since197three; 09-09-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 08:31 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by exwhyzed
Hey All,

I can't seem to find the info online. Does anyone know how much the 2012 Trek 8.5 DS "Gary Fisher" weighs? There's one available at a local auction and i want to know how much lower this weighs than my 33lbs mountian bike. The current bid is around $450. Can anyone recommend up to what price point would still make this bike a good deal? Thanks!

EDIT: I was also thinking that I can reduce the bike weight by removing the front derailler, and connected shifter. and also the front brake and rotor, and connected shifter. I don't any type of agressive or rain riding, and i find myself only using my rear mtb V brake anyways. Can anyone comment if they've done similar mods. Or would taking these things off be just a waste of time?
If it is a good deal depends on what condition it's in. You can remove all you want. Once you buy it, it's yours. I don't know how much your mtb weighs, but the ds is around 30 lbs.
Old 09-09-15, 09:40 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple pics from this morning. Put some Continental Contact 32's and Xpedo Spry pedals on my 8.4 DS. A lot smoother ride and love the pedals! Have a pair on my Farley also.

Old 09-09-15, 03:39 PM

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rear wheel going to the LBS today. Making a funny ball bearing noise, hopefully just needs regreasing but don't have time to do myself. First issue I've had after about 3000 kms so that's not bad
Old 09-09-15, 06:33 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by since197three
Couple pics from this morning. Put some Continental Contact 32's and Xpedo Spry pedals on my 8.4 DS. A lot smoother ride and love the pedals! Have a pair on my Farley also.
Such a beautiful colour scheme and one that Trek has yet to match or exceed in the DS range in the years that have followed.
Old 09-09-15, 07:37 PM

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Such a beautiful colour scheme and one that Trek has yet to match or exceed in the DS range in the years that have followed.
Yep, the matte pearl white really is nice (but it's a biatch to keep clean )

Last edited by limbot; 09-10-15 at 07:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.