Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Your favored quick, thorough on-bike cleaning method for cassette & crankset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Your favored quick, thorough on-bike cleaning method for cassette & crankset?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 09:28 PM
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Hey if NASA had taken that kind of "it can't be done" attitude we never would have landed a man on the sun!

The most thorough possible job on-bike.
(person looks on Amazon for bicycle-sized ultrasonic cleaner...)
Old 02-19-23, 11:13 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,246 Times in 2,381 Posts
Don’t get it dirty and you don’t have to clean it. All of these are ridden regularly and none of them were cleaned before the pictures. I just don’t use messy lubricants. I got better things to do than clean bicycles.

850 miles into a trip around Lake Michigan. It’s wet because of a drenching rain in the middle of the night but it hasn’t been cleaned from the last trip I took…in 2015.

Compare that to a home brew lubricated bike I’m refurbing for my local co-op. I think they just poured motor oil/mineral spirits all over the bike. Ick!

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 02-19-23 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
Since switching to Squirt not an issue at all. Dawn dish liquid and a brush gets everything spotless. Chain on the big ring and very easy to scrub. Light spray with garden hose. Wipe dry, air dry for a while and relube.

But on my bikes that I use conventional lube, they are never really super clean. Like my tandem, where I regularly suffer from Cat 5 tatoo.
Old 02-24-23, 12:55 PM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 456 Posts
Never had a freewheel hurt by a self-serve car-wash. If you aim it right, you can get the whole thing spinning backwards, pedals and all, just from the jet. In a Tucson summer, it's dry by the time you're home. Don't forget to blast your white handlebar tape clean, too.
Old 02-26-23, 10:59 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 721 Posts
fwiw I have never found a "quick, thorough method of cleaning the cassette and crankset on the bike" that doesn't just leave the frame in need of cleaning.
At the very least you need to remove the chain, and/or remove the rear wheel...and then, after cleaning the crankset & chainrings, you'll still have to clean the frame but at least that's easier without the chain and/or rear wheel attached.