Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2006 Jamis Coda

Added: fenders, pedals/clips, titec h-bar with oury grips, hand built rear wheel after a pothole destroyed the crappy alex rim.

I plan to add a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, clipless pedals and maybe a rack with some panniers if I decide that I don't like commuting with my messenger bag.

Old 09-27-07, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by striker_dj
My $11.99 Le Tour - I rode this once when I first got the thing. Since then I've replaced the handlebar, brake levers and cables, tires and tubes. After the ride this morning I know I will replace the seat if I plan on using this much.

Have you ever seen anything so ugly!
I think it is pretty, and for $11.99 it is extra pretty.
Old 09-29-07, 02:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome eee pictures
Old 09-29-07, 03:17 PM
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres my commuter, $20 bike and a lot of labor. Good commuter bike. It started out as a Schwinn World sport. It's a little diffrent now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1170.JPG (93.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-30-07, 03:15 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian T
Heres my commuter, $20 bike and a lot of labor. Good commuter bike. It started out as a Schwinn World sport. It's a little diffrent now.
That is a fine steed indeed. Well done. Rugged elegance.
Old 09-30-07, 03:28 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson2
Note the water bottle fender and suicide top tube shifter
I would love to see a larger photo so as to fully appreciate what you got going on there. It looks to me you are running single up front and a mech in back (1x7?). Keeping the bars sans shifter you got it on the top tube, running the cable high on the frame (little less road muck). So only brake levers on the bars. Is that a bell on the left center?

Whats the story of that crazy purple rack? Explain the water bottle fender?

That bike is so hideous, I love it! Mostly I like the suicide shifter. It shows a cavalier style.
Old 09-30-07, 07:55 AM
Senior_Member2

Bikes: Beater + Nishiki Bigfoot X-29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that bike is hideous at all. But i would recommend REAL full arch mud guards 20$ a pair.
Old 09-30-07, 10:35 AM
Ragin' Cajun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santana Moda

Here's my commuter/joy riding bike - a Santana Moda. I don't have much info about these bikes but I believe Santana made mountain bikes for a short time in the 80's. Its made from Columbus Max OR steel tubing. The tubing is oversized with oriented elliptical cross-sections. In some places its as pretty thin (0.5-0.6 mm) so its banged up from spills and hits from riding in NYC and New Orleans but still going strong. I just moved from NYC to Boston so it hasn't been on the road in a couple months. I'm cleaning it up this week and getting it back on the road for commuting to work. My winter project may be to strip it down for powdercoating.

More at...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8598861...57602209363450
Old 09-30-07, 11:15 AM
still commuting......

Bikes: Trek 930, 97&00 Trek 6000 Trek Navigator 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cody Broken
That is a fine steed indeed. Well done. Rugged elegance.
Thanks! I had a set of full fenders on it, but the wife stole them
Old 09-30-07, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey southern, I hope you keep it orange. for some reason I just love that color
Old 09-30-07, 03:34 PM
Ragin' Cajun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StokerPoker
hey southern, I hope you keep it orange. for some reason I just love that color
Definitely going to keep it orange. I'm thinking of adding some orange rims too.
Old 09-30-07, 09:07 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updates to my cross check

Full Res 1
Full Res 2
Full Res 3

I attached Little pics. the three links go to big ones (3+MP)

Just wanted to show some of my updates. Obviously I get to park indoors at work and don't leave it in front of stores or theatres in bad 'hoods. I've been adding some eye candy and I love the new look.

I changed from the brooks pro (that I hated) to a champ flyer (which I love). The dark brown brooks leather is beautiful.

I spent 2hrs sewing on the bar covers to match and love the result (although my next upgrade is gonna be some noodles and, next time, doing the leather with a bit of padding under it, the leather isn't as cushion-y as cork).

I love the ride and handling of the new Big Apple tires, but they are borderline too-big for the Cross Check frame. I had to run my rear fender over the brake bridge, and the front fork only has 2mm clearance at the sides (although they fit nicely vertically even with the fender). I wish I had bought the Marathon supreme 40s (those are 700x48c big apples). Toe clearance in the front is an issue with the big apples too. I really do need to go a bit smaller,,, sigh.

The wald baskets are coming off soon. I recently bought em but they are so heavy, you would really need to lift them to believe it. They are a great accessory and I have used them a bunch, but wow they are heavy. I'm going back to the nearly-as-nice nashbar townie baskets.

The two leg kickstand is worth the extra weight. It is great for loading groceries in the baskets, or a screaming kicking kid in the trailer (I don't want to go home yet , god that kid is spoiled)

The ring lock is an unnecessary convenience. I love it but I could live without it. It is so awesome to be able to flick a lever and immobilize the bike rather than mess with the u-lock. I often stop at playgrounds, scenic rests, convenience stores and only use the ring lock. It is car-lock-convenient for short trips or when you are close but not next to the bike. It's a keeper.

My small Acorn saddle bag is perfect for a pump, tool kit, and wallet/snacks. It is the perfect size bag and adds a touch of had-crafted class to the ride.

My favorite new accessory are my wood fenders. I got them from Cody Davis' "woodys fenders" store on ebay. They are perfect. Light. Quiet. and BEAUTIFUL. I am in love with them!

Besides a nitto noodle bar, and slightly smaller tires; I would really love to get a dyno front hub once there are some brighter LED options for them. The fact that I am never satisfied with this bike is proof that I can never be satisfied with this bike. I am hopeless.
Attached Images
IMG_1625-medium.jpg (13.6 KB, 210 views)
IMG_1632-medium.jpg (10.0 KB, 130 views)
IMG_1634-medium.jpg (8.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 09-30-07, 09:14 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My faithful commuter got a few upgrades... some NOS 700 wheels with high flange hubs and an elegant little rack that looks more appropos on a 45 year old bike.

Old 10-01-07, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeffbeerman2, you have built my dream commuter bike. Where did you get the dutch style rear wheel lock at?
Old 10-01-07, 10:46 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck w Nexus 8 drivetrain set up as a commuter/tourer. Old and quick '89 Trek 1200. 08 Fisher Cobia 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marco_e
Jeffbeerman2, you have built my dream commuter bike. Where did you get the dutch style rear wheel lock at?
ebay

It ended up costing $40, $20 for the lock and the same for shipping. Took three weeks to arrive in Kansas(16 working days). The seller said it would take a min of 12 to the east coast and longer as you move west across the states. It is pretty cool, but $40 is a bit high. I can't imagine why these things arent available in the states at any LBS for about $20, they should be.

It relies on having braze ons on the back of the seat stays to attach, which I have never seen. It is pretty solid using cable ties, because it has three mount locations on each side, I put a cable tie through each of them. there are three short ties on each side and a long one on the top to hold it on, but the ties are pretty invisible when mounted.
Old 10-02-07, 09:18 AM

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Is that the High level bridge as a background?
Old 10-02-07, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My faithful commuter got a few upgrades... some NOS 700 wheels with high flange hubs and an elegant little rack that looks more appropos on a 45 year old bike.

You should have tryed to get one of those signs telling people not to jump off the bridge in that picture. In Calgary, we don't have fun bridges like the High Level.
Old 10-02-07, 09:53 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Sure...everyone notices the bridge (it is the High Level) and not Bridgette the bike.

I cross that thing as many as 4 times a day and there's noting better than hitting to find it empty so you can open things up.

Pig Chaser... I see your a fellow Edmontonian... I would not be surprised if we haven't passed each other a time or two
Old 10-03-07, 10:27 AM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbeerman2
The ring lock is an unnecessary convenience. I love it but I could live without it. It is so awesome to be able to flick a lever and immobilize the bike rather than mess with the u-lock. I often stop at playgrounds, scenic rests, convenience stores and only use the ring lock. It is car-lock-convenient for short trips or when you are close but not next to the bike. It's a keeper.
But where did you get it? I really want one, but I rather doubt I could fit one on my frame, though.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 10-03-07, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbenaugust
But where did you get it? I really want one, but I rather doubt I could fit one on my frame, though.
If it fit my seat stays and goes around big apples plus a 2-1/4" flat fender routed over the brake bridge, it will fit anything.

See my above reply for the exact ebayer who sold mine to me. It is $40 to the states shipped. The guy has near-perfect feedback and speaks english well enough to answer questions. He sells the chain attachment too, I wish I had bought it.
Old 10-03-07, 08:01 PM
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here is my Sirrus.

Old 10-03-07, 10:31 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jeffbeerman2 -
How the fnork did you box that chain in like that? What is that thing? Did you buy that, or did you make it? It looks almost as weatherproof as a chain could be.

Indeed that is one tricked out commuter bike. You obviously know you bikes, and you obviously commute mucho.

Please tell me about your chain guard
Old 10-03-07, 10:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TurdFerguson2 -
I sorry. It was not nice to say your bike is hideous. Now my Bruiser, THAT is hideous.

Your bike is practical and functional, no finer beauty than that.
Old 10-04-07, 05:46 AM

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
b young: is that a garage door opener?
Old 10-04-07, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cody Broken
TurdFerguson2 -
I sorry. It was not nice to say your bike is hideous. Now my Bruiser, THAT is hideous.

Your bike is practical and functional, no finer beauty than that.
No worries. I think my bike is beautiful yet heinous.

I am off to France for 2 weeks (hopefully I'll check out L'Alpe d'Huez) but when I get back I was thinking of doing up a little post with more pics so I can tell her story. Every bike has a story and I think they should be shared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.