Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1948 Schwinn New World

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1948 Schwinn New World

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-23, 05:27 AM

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Hi @capnjonny mail sent to you with the SVG file I have sized it according to the received measurements.

Lattz
Old 07-03-23, 07:48 AM
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 865 Times in 330 Posts
If you decide to reproduce the "Genuine Seamless Steel Tubing" decal for the pre-war New Worlds, I'd like to buy one or two of them. I have a pre-war New World that needs one.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 07-06-23, 05:28 PM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Lattz sent the down tube decal file to me and capnjonny and I had time to attempt my first decal cut on my Cricut machine. The red "Schwinn" part messed up but I decided to experiment with the remaining "New World" portions.

Two separate cuts in vinyl.

Mated together.

Mounted on my '39 or '40 New World

From a distance.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 07-10-23, 07:51 AM

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Hi all,

Looks like Pastor Bob has got the New World Decal down and said he would send me one.

Now all I need is for someone to measure their bike with original decals and let me know what the spacing is for the down tube decal, the seat tube wrap and the seat tube upper medalion.

I could guess based on photos but would really appreciate it if I had the exact original spacing.

Currently I am cleaning up an old Bianchi and hosting my 10 yr old grand son here for a week so he can go to a Baseball Day Camp. The Schwinn is hanging in the garage curing until the new decal arrives , then color sanding and another coat of Burnandy before applying decals.
Old 07-10-23, 12:17 PM
On the road

The decal looks pretty good to me, though I will say I'm not an expert at designing and duplicating decals. The only pointer I would give, is that it looks to me as if the in the originals, the red outline is a shade thinner around the gold inner lettering. But you certainly have a nice decal going there.
Old 07-10-23, 03:10 PM

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The decal looks pretty good to me, though I will say I'm not an expert at designing and duplicating decals. The only pointer I would give, is that it looks to me as if the in the originals, the red outline is a shade thinner around the gold inner lettering. But you certainly have a nice decal going there.
I noticed that when you sent the photos of yours for measurements. Since the file is SVG, it can be changed anytime without any quality loss. However, here is the reference I used , and there the outline seems somewhat thicker (still not as thick as my drawing), and actually looks like if it was spray painted and outlined by hand painting, which is obviously not the case.

Unfortunately, since these are 2 separate vinyl layers it is really hard to stick them on top of each other to avoid some offset around, however even that could be interpreted by the untrained eyes as a style feat, but as I said, I can only offer some help with the "better than nothing" way, not the "Gus, is that you?" one.

Last edited by Lattz; 07-10-23 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 07-10-23, 04:27 PM
On the road

It could also be that as they age, the red fades and kind of feathers into place and looks smaller than it started.

I do know of a couple instances where people tried to duplicate them in the past, though I think yours is by far the best yet. These bikes haven't at least until recently, been worth enough to justify reproduction decals. A Schwinn ballooner of the same vintage and condition is worth many times more. The lightweights are still kind of a "budget" thing, though the prices seem to have gone up a little in the past couple years.

If I recall, Velocals had only the "seamless tubing" circle decal. I don't recall them ever doing frame decals for the New World.