Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 07:33 AM
Wrench - Racer - Fanatic

Bikes: 2007 Novara BigBuzz, 2001 Trek Y-1, 2007 Gary Fisher HiFi, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8, 1986 Peugeot Fixie Tourmalet PH10-LE, Kuwahara Road Tandem, Marinoni Corsa, Trek 810 Steel, 1998 Cannondale m300, Cannondale m600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I could be wrong, but i think the brake cable should engage the brake swing-arm's bolt in a clockwise manor (referencing your second picture), so as you tighten that bolt, it strengthens the grip on the cable, just hate to see people with bikes were they have loose brakes that constantly have "stretchy cables" even though they just need to wire them up a bit more solid.
Old 05-10-08, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Nashbar CR-5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blasternot112
Hey, I could be wrong, but i think the brake cable should engage the brake swing-arm's bolt in a clockwise manor (referencing your second picture), so as you tighten that bolt, it strengthens the grip on the cable, just hate to see people with bikes were they have loose brakes that constantly have "stretchy cables" even though they just need to wire them up a bit more solid.
...... whose that to?
Old 05-10-08, 08:29 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TedC
...... whose that to?
Maybe this post?

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...postcount=2866
Old 05-10-08, 12:43 PM
robertlinthicum

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by blasternot112
What you write makes sense (I think he's referring to the pic on the previous page of my Xtracycle's Paul cantilever front brakes). I just took a close look at it, and it appears that I have it set up the way "Paul" intended. There is a little "valley" in the cable clamp that accomodates the cable on the side I'm using. If I just stare at it a little longer . . .

Old 05-11-08, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got round to taking a picture of my Dawes with all the commuting stuff on.

i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 05-11-08, 08:41 PM
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally got a chance to upload pictures ! Please dont laugh for the funny setup !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00445.JPG (95.0 KB, 408 views)
DSC00447.JPG (95.6 KB, 198 views)
DSC00448.JPG (98.5 KB, 198 views)
DSC00451.JPG (97.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 05-11-08, 10:39 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by amit_shah25
Finally got a chance to upload pictures ! Please dont laugh for the funny setup !!
Why would we laugh? If it works for you then more power to you!
Old 05-12-08, 12:57 AM
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robertlinthicum
Just finished building it up:

This is about fun. Still a work in progress, it has already proven itself as a hauler of stuff and child transport machine. The frame is an old Specialized Hardrock frame that I got as part of a complete bike off of a Craigslist seller for $20. I had it media-blasted and powdercoated with a cool, "crinkle-glaze" type of pewter finish. I like it.

Components:
Paul front cantilever brakes w/Kool Stops
Shimano rear V-brakes
Nondescript seatpost
Planet Bike cush saddle (will be changed to Brooks B17 asap)
Nitto radonneur-type bars
Tektro brake levers
Nitto "Dirtdrop" stem
Shimano 105 headset
Silver bar-end shifter (one)
Sugino crankset, single
MKS Touring Pedals
Nondescript (but bombproof) ATB wheels
WTB All-Terrainasaurus Tires

Keen eyes may note that the cable ends need caps (I ran out) and that the Tektros are in quick release mode (my preference for one-finger braking). Haven't decided whether or not to tape the bars. See ya out there, Bob
Truly Amazing Setup you have there, and after reading the site seems it could be done with anything hmm possibilities.
Old 05-12-08, 08:29 AM
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by amit_shah25
Wow, I dig it! Kudos for doing something unique, I really like it! How's the Bontrager leather tape?
Old 05-12-08, 12:05 PM
Drunken Master

Bikes: Jamis Ranger 1.0 (Mutilated !!), Trek Portland

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdinger
Wow, I dig it! Kudos for doing something unique, I really like it! How's the Bontrager leather tape?
Thanks ! Glad you like it. Love the brown and white combination ! The milk crate solution has been working pretty awsome for me so far !
Old 05-13-08, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Takara Olympian Commuter

Finally got off my lazy butt and started commuting to work. My rides pretty quick, about 15 minutes depending on how lazy I am. It does have a couple good hills though.

Here's my converted road bike. I put an eco-rack on it and my sunlite traveler panniers. I have been having issues with keeping the panniers out of the back wheel. I think I solved it with cardboard in the bottom, but we'll see. Supposedly the eco-rack acts as a sudo fender, so I hope I don't need a rear fender. I got a grunge board for the front in the event I have bad weather. Haven't fitted it though. I also added the adjustable water bottle cage to hold my coffee mug.

I want to go to clipless pedals eventually, or at least power grips. I have to figure out how to do that with combat boots though, since I'm in uniform (army) more often then not.

Attached Images
Takara Olympian behind.JPG (93.3 KB, 1745 views)
Takara Olympian Side shot.JPG (95.2 KB, 1778 views)
Old 05-13-08, 10:42 AM
Dudebroguy

Bikes: Custom Quiring MTB, Surly Cross Check, Jamis Steel MTB (ca. 1997)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spurdy
I have been having issues with keeping the panniers out of the back wheel. I think I solved it with cardboard in the bottom, but we'll see.
I have the same panniers and the same problem. Let us know what helps and I'll do the same, if I ever get around to messing with them. At this point I"m thinking of just selling them and getting something different.
Old 05-13-08, 02:13 PM
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not my commuter, but I thought I'd post my fun bike - a modified Jamis Nova.

I modified it with 45mm fenders, 44/32/22 crankset, and SRAM Xgen front derailleur. Got nice LOW gears now! I'll eventually get a steel front fork with disk brake. I have some 35mm tires for off-roading. https://www.pbase.com/image/96715790/original
Old 05-13-08, 06:41 PM
Emeritus...a second time?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up my first bike today. I found it on Craigslist. The guy I got it from had a whole garage full of bikes: road bikes, mountain bikes, touring bikes, bmx bikes, cruisers, etc. And they were all name brand bikes.
I traded him my old snowboard for it. I haven't done anything to it yet. I'm going to buy the Zinn book and kinda look over the whole thing before I go on my 13 mile round trip commute. I think I'll take it for a short ride this evening just to get a feel for it.
I have a few things to buy before I commute anyways:

panniers or trunk bag
rack
Light (commuting in the morning before sun-up)
Helmet
flat tire kit
the essentials.

But I'm totally excited! It may not be as pretty as a lot of the bikes here, but it's functional and it's mine. For a starter bike I'm happy with it. I have been scouring CL for a couple of weeks now and haven't found a bike. I was getting desperate...so much that I was looking at a Schwinn bike at Wal-Mart, in spite of everything I've read here.

Old 05-13-08, 07:05 PM
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That'll make a nice tough commutermobile. Dump that chunky saddle, though.
Old 05-13-08, 08:52 PM
on my scraper bike

Bikes: KHS Summit, all others gone...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
talleymonster: Was that the guy on Nellis? And have you been the one posting the snowboard ad? Haha, that's so funny. I was not only debating emailing that guy, but also wishing I had my old commuter to trade you!
Old 05-13-08, 09:52 PM
Emeritus...a second time?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by delegado zero
talleymonster: Was that the guy on Nellis? And have you been the one posting the snowboard ad? Haha, that's so funny. I was not only debating emailing that guy, but also wishing I had my old commuter to trade you!
Yes, I'm the snowboard guy. I've been spamming that ad for about two weeks now!
No, he wasn't the guy on Nellis. I tried to call that guy a couple of times, but he never returned my calls.
Old 05-13-08, 11:07 PM

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of my ride on the university of Oklahoma campus this evening. It was a gorgeous night...

Old 05-14-08, 07:23 AM
64°08′N 21°56′W

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike looks ready for the commute, just loose the gelpad on the saddle, they are evil. You don't really want the saddle that soft and the pad will move around and chafe.
That's not a big bike though, does it fit you well? No idea how tall you are naturally.
edit: This is in response to talleymonster's post.
Old 05-14-08, 09:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found an old 1980 Nishiki road bike at the side of my inlaws' garage starting to rust and generally falling apart, so I decided to turn it into my commuter bike. I've done plenty to it over the past year such as having it powder coated red, because red bikes are faster. I bought the bar end converters to move the stem clamp-on shifters to the bar-ends. I also rebult the wheels to be 622mm rims which are smaller than the old steel couldn't-stop-in-wet-weather 630mm rims, which let me put on fatter tires.

My commute is 17 km each way mostly on MUP by the river, but I've found a dirt and rock shortcut up the hill that makes use of the 38 mm tires.

MKS touring pedals
Cheap Nashbar mustache bars
Brooks B-17 saddle
SKS Fenders

I plan on adding some B&M bottle dynamo lights in the next few months
Old 05-15-08, 09:53 AM
Ben

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Schwinn Traveler, Panasonic Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombob
I pretty much had to do the same thing. I started having issues with my neck and back from my messenger bag but now that I've added a rack and panniers to my fixie/ss it's gone
I used to ride with a backpack until I realized that the weight was just being transfered down my back and ultimately to the saddle. You really are getting hit twice for it. If your carrying a heavy enough load why not let the bicycle hadle it? Thats what its built for after all, and it wont complain. I still use a backpack on occasions where Im not carrying much/ short trips.
Old 05-15-08, 08:14 PM
Living Life On Two Wheels

Bikes: Giant Rincon 2007 Model - Black & Grey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep the good pictures flowing and glad to hear about the new commuter that is good news.
Old 05-15-08, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Xtracycle cruiser bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheik_Yerbouti
You are my kinda guy. I love your bike, and I admire what you have done with it.

I am a fan of tall wheels and fat tires. Good on ya taking advantage of a 27" wheel frame to get both.
Old 05-16-08, 01:24 PM
Commuter/Rider

Bikes: Trek 4500 Accessorised for dark morning commute.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gets Me To Work & Let's Me Have Fun

Here's a few of my ride, along with what's keeping me off the bike for the time being.

Ride on!
Old 05-16-08, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sheik:

May the Cycling Gods smile upon you for taking a neglected bike and resurrecting it into a truly utilitarian beauty. Kudos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.