Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sad story all around :(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Sad story all around :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 05:49 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
He actually testified to the opposite.

here
He can argue whatever he wants but he allegedly shouted her in time to shout out 2x. My bad as that was not an admission but apparently that is what a witness heard. From that a jury could infer that he had the time to slow down if his bike had brakes.

It appears that that allegation--that he shouted out 2x--can't be too far off the mark given his online comments after the incident:

"He allegedly shouted at Briggs to “get out of the way” twice before their heads smashed together. Briggs suffered brain injuries including two skull fractures and died a week later.

After seeing a newspaper report about the incident, Alliston posted a comment online claiming he tried to warn her but she had “ignored” him and “stopped dead” in his path."

Last edited by bikemig; 08-17-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 07:16 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like that law. I wish we had it here. There is a fashion trend of a rear caliper only. I find it to be really dumb.
I agree completely that if I had only one brake I'd want it to be the front brake.

But at the same time for decades there have been single speed bikes with just coaster brakes on the back. Are those illegal now or is there a specific exception? I think I HAVE seen a bike with coaster brakes that also have a front caliper, but as I'm not generally shopping for bikes with coaster brakes, I don't know if that's rare, common or mandatory these days.
Old 08-18-17, 09:08 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
A coaster brake alone often suffices because you shift your weight back when you apply it. That's the theory anyway. I'm not sure if it's true because I haven't used one in years. And they usually come on upright bikes, so that helps a bit.

On the other hand, a neighbor of mine brought me his cruiser that had only a coaster brake. He said his chain fell off as he was going down a big hill, leaving him no brake. I said I could make losing the chain less likely and could put a front brake on, but he refused. He insisted I just take the bike, because I was acting as the local bike exchange at the time. I gave the bike to a needy guy. So having two brakes is a good thing, since things can go wrong with one.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-18-17, 09:45 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Some people think a front brake is dangerous because you can flip the bike. And it's perfectly true. But it's a stupid argument, basically amounting to "it's dangerous because it works."

When you apply the brake(s), either front or back, all the bike's weight, including rider, shifts forward. By shifting your weight to the back, you can at best compensate for a small portion of this effect, certainly not enough to make a back brake as effective as a front brake. For best results, shift your weight back and apply the front brake.

A bike without a front brake simply cannot stop as well as a bike with one. Riding a bike without a front brake is probably okay for some riders, but certainly not for anyone who's riding in an aggressive manner. I have no problem with this kid riding 20 mph on a city street; but riding 20 mph on a city street without a front brake, that's reckless.
Old 08-18-17, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's just me, and I haven't ridden a nice bike with a coaster brake (do they exist?) but I distinctly remember coaster brakes working alot better when I was younger. I'm not sure how much weight of rider has hindered it's effectiveness either.
Old 08-19-17, 01:25 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
TX, manslaughter requires the "reckless" culpable mental state, which is defined as "he is aware of but consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the circumstances exist or the result will occur. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that its disregard constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that an ordinary person would exercise under all the circumstances as viewed from the actor’s standpoint."
Thus, it would come down to whether riding brakeless is a "gross deviation."
Old 08-23-17, 08:58 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
update
Old 08-23-17, 04:45 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@KD5NRH, if the norm changes, does make the deviation more reasonable? I really don't know. There is a fair amount of brakeless riding in NYC, though I think it might be diminishing now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-27-17, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Justice done, albeit perhaps over-harsh, given that an auto in that situation would have been given a lesser citation. The cyclist didn't do anyone a favor with his behavior, including the larger cycling community.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-27-17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Staypuft1652
Maybe it's just me, and I haven't ridden a nice bike with a coaster brake (do they exist?) but I distinctly remember coaster brakes working alot better when I was younger. I'm not sure how much weight of rider has hindered it's effectiveness either.
I commuted for years on a coaster brake Phillips. It was fine until the road got slick (which in the city can happen in many ways); good thing I thought skidding was fun in those days.
Old 08-27-17, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
I commuted for years on a coaster brake Phillips. It was fine until the road got slick (which in the city can happen in many ways); good thing I thought skidding was fun in those days.
Yeah I kinda miss those days myself.
Old 09-18-17, 06:21 AM
Banned

conclusion:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-of-pedestrian
Old 09-20-17, 11:59 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Are you guys nuts about front brake only?

1) Have you ever ridden a bike with only the front brake?
2) Have you ever ridden a bike with only a rear brake?

2 is often yes, because it is safe
1 is no, because it is very unsafe and unstable. No one would manufacture a bike like that because of the liability.

I road a bike with the brakes switched left to right. It was a nightmare. You screw up the front brake, and you are going down hard. If you are going fast, you are going to the hospital.
Old 09-20-17, 12:26 PM
Banned

UK laws: The Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010

German laws: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stvzo_2012/

In short, both countries have two-brake requirements and reflectors. The German law requires lights (white/red) with certain specifications (dynamos of certain wattage, etc...)

The HANDS employed for brakes for front/rear are reversed between the UK/Germany and the fault would automatically pass to the cyclist.

Interesting times.
Old 09-20-17, 04:41 PM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Yes German laws are very strict. You have to have lights, reflectors, a bell, two independent brakes....

Even at daylight a front and tail light have to be installed. And there are laws how they have to be installed. Min, max height, color, width and brightness.... and yes blinking lights are illegal. Pedals have to have reflectors. And, and , and, ....
One whole page of legal verbiage just about lights on bicycles...
https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stvzo_2012/__67.html

And yes you will get a ticket if cops find something illegal on your bike.
Old 09-20-17, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Are you guys nuts about front brake only?

1) Have you ever ridden a bike with only the front brake?
2) Have you ever ridden a bike with only a rear brake?

2 is often yes, because it is safe
1 is no, because it is very unsafe and unstable. No one would manufacture a bike like that because of the liability.

I road a bike with the brakes switched left to right. It was a nightmare. You screw up the front brake, and you are going down hard. If you are going fast, you are going to the hospital.
My road bikes have both front and rear brakes, but the rear brakes only get used in two conditions: 1) long and steep mountain descents where the front rim&brake might overheat, and 2) if the front brake cable snaps.
Nothing wrong with just using the front brake to stop and in a hard, maximum deceleration stop the front brake will be the one doing essentially all the work.
Old 09-21-17, 06:04 AM
aka Tom Reingold

@chas58, I disagree strongly. The front brake is more important and more effective by far. I hardly ever use my rear brake. There is a danger of flipping over using the front brake, but that danger is small. It is mitigated by using it correctly, which mostly involves bracing your weight with your arms. Just don't slam the brake on in a panic stop. I think it's irresponsible to ride a bike with only a rear brake. Lawyers who don't understand physics designed them.

Old 09-21-17, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Personally, I think the guy got off easy, avoiding the manslaughter charge. Rear coaster brakes are safe for toddlers and other young children because it's pretty much inconceivable they're going to be doing more than 10mph. And hell, even if they manage to somehow do 30, a 40lb kid is unlikely to kill someone.

Riding a bike, at speed, without a front brake (or 2 brakes of some sort period), is just grossly negligent. You're sacrificing over 50% of your stopping power. Poodling along on a cruiser at 8mph on a beach..maybe it doesnt really matter. But he was doing 20mph. In the city. With pedestrians around (obviously...one of whom is dead). Refusing to obey the law, thereby more than doubling best case scenario stopping distance, is just grossly irresponsible. The only way I can conceive of giving him a break is if he really is stupid enough to believe he can stop as quickly with just a rear brake.