Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Midwest Frame Painter

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Looking for a Midwest Frame Painter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Jeff usually doesnt do pin striping, but instead uses a local guy that is crazy good(ive seen a lot of intricate examples that are super cool).

Whats really neat is that Jeff does a lot of refinishing and has a long standing connection to older Raleighs.
He still provides chroming thru a company he works with that chromes the racks he builds, which from what I have read, is less than common in certain areas due to regulations.
I didn't realize he outsourced the pinstriping. Whoever does it is very good. Jeff brought a bike to a Portland handmade bike show a few years ago and took the award for people's choice. The pinstriping is one of the things that stood out to me about that bike.

I also didn't know about his affinity for older Raleighs. I've been contemplating sending my '69 Competition to him. As it happens, that bike needs new chrome too.
Old 04-15-21, 10:13 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I didn't realize he outsourced the pinstriping. Whoever does it is very good. Jeff brought a bike to a Portland handmade bike show a few years ago and took the award for people's choice. The pinstriping is one of the things that stood out to me about that bike.

I also didn't know about his affinity for older Raleighs. I've been contemplating sending my '69 Competition to him. As it happens, that bike needs new chrome too.
Yeah I'm getting ready to send him an early Raleigh Lilac Competition that needs some work.
Old 04-16-21, 02:23 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

He referenced older Raleigh bikes on multiple occasions throughout our classes. And he had a few hanging up that were in various stages of repair for people. I think the first shop he worked in sold Raleigh too.

I guess I shouldnt speak for him and maybe he does some pin striping, I was just adding info based off a couple comments he made about paint and pinstriping.
He said he uses a guy in a local town that does signs and decals. This guy makes the templates for painted on lettering(instead of using decals) and Jeff mentioned the guy does his pinstriping too. He joked that its too precise and time consuming, which I quietly found ironic since Jeff said this while painstakingly wet sanding yet another coating of paint on a frame.

This is the bike we were talking about when pinstriping came up. It was built in one of his classes probably 5 or so years ago by a guy who is heavily involved in the local cycling scene/infrastructure. It was actually stolen a year or so ago and Jeff built a replacement since they are friends.

Likes For mstateglfr: