Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Battle Scars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Battle Scars

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 08:27 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
UO-8 death-fork? Where was the break?
Old 01-18-10, 09:08 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Somewhere around 1977/78 I was blasting down a great hill on a two lane road with no shoulder and a gully running along side of it. I was in the 53x11 and cranking, and that's all I remember.

The guy who was behind the truck that was following me said the truck mirror clipped my shoulder and launced me off of the road and into the gulley/ditch. He said he saw me go in and then the bike bounce up a couple of times. I had a concussion and I think one spot under my right arm didn't have road rash and or gravel impaled in it.

He stayed with me while someone went to call an ambulance and he offered to call my family and let them know I was on the way to the hospital. The guy who hit me never stopped.

I have had a couple of massive one side of the body road rash producing crashes in Crits. Those suck because you get to see other riders roll over your bike.
Old 01-18-10, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
long ago in a galaxy far far away (Queens, NY). . .
I was horsing around with some friends, sitting on a moustrap kind of carrier over the front
wheel on a friends bike as he rode up and down the street.
The attachment of the rack to the frame broke and the whole assembly
pivoted nicely on the axle. I went sprawling spread eagled down the road as my friend tried desperately to not run the bike up my back. That little trick cost me about 12 stitches in my chin and well lets just say I walked funny for a while too.

Lets be careful out there.
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-18-10, 11:46 AM

Bikes: '69 Raleigh DL-1, '72 Paramount, '75 Eisentraut, '80 A-D Vent Noir II, '82 A-D Inter 10, '83 Motobecane Grand Touring, '83 Stumpjumper, '84 Masi GC, '87 Recherche, '87 Tesch 101, '88 Tesch S-22, '88 Davidson...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A timely thread as I'm nursing a fractured collarbone from last Tuesday. Should be recovered just in time for the Gran Fondo.
Old 01-18-10, 12:13 PM
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Some great stories here, and one nice picture...

#1: Hit a parked police cruiser, with officers lounging in the front seats.

This was in 1984, Denmark. A lonely, straight highway going on forever. Stiff headwind, tired, pedaling along, zoning out. Don't know for how long I had absently stared at my spinning crank, when suddenly a bumper swiftly comes into my limited field of view. Real close, like 2 feet. A split second later I'm rolling over the trunk of a car and down on the pavement. When I'm focused again I stare up at two cops, asking what the hell I was doing. They were parked just off the white line having lunch, and had seen me approaching from a mile back.

After the usual police posturing, they actually just laughed at the incident, and drove off while I was working on re-truing my front wheel.

#2: Hit an ambulance.

Same vintage, also in Denmark. City riding, me a young dude too cool and going on the bike path on the wrong side of the road. Fast too, like you should. I need to cross a side street on the left. Ambulance is coming out from side street. Driver is rolling onto highway and looking only to the left, mostly concerned about vehicles coming from the proper direction. I'm thinking he'll look my way any moment and stop. Ahh, the naive assumptions of youth! Well, he goes right on, and I'm now too close to stop or execute emergency maneuvers. Bam.

The driver, again, was friendly and forgiving.
Old 01-18-10, 12:23 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Okay...my war story. Riding with a friend south of town, coming off a hill and spinning the big ring. Got a bit too close to my riding partner and touched his rear wheel. Next thing I know I am on the ground. Went to the emergency room and got 40+ stitches in the mouth area. Palms nicely torn up, shoulders badly scraped. All this with no helmet, so I was real lucky. I can still feel the scar inside my mouth and as recently as 5 years ago worked a small piece of gravel out of the scar tissue. I had keloid scars on my shoulders that finally disappeared in the early 90s.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 01-18-10, 12:26 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Minor ones:

A bunny hop off a loading dock (pre-BMX) on a West Point banana bike. Mostly teeth. I think I was 12.

Climbing hard, my RD (recently rebuilt by LBS) disintegrated, snapped around into the rear wheel, I high-sided into the road, ended up like a turtle on it's back, bike poking the sky like grass in the wind. I had only road rash, but the car behind me swerved to avoid, ran the oncoming car into the ditch, and they got out and started yellling at each other. I sighed, put my bike over my shoulder, said (quietly) "I'm good," and hoofed it home....

My father, when he was about 15, had a bike with no grips, common in those days. He was tailgating a milk truck, and it stopped. He put the bars into the insides of his arms at the elbow joint. He was told to drink lots of prune juice, eat raisins, and squeeze tennis balls to build his arms up. All my young life, I wanted big arms like he had, and wondered where he got the perfect circle scars. After he told me, I told him I'd probably just get a tattoo.
Old 01-18-10, 12:42 PM

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What kind of tool do you use to hold the back of those chainring bolts? They are too long for a regular screwdriver.
Old 01-18-10, 02:31 PM
DelawareDave

Bikes: 3 mountian bikes 1 recumbent bike 1 racing bike 5 stingrays 1 hybrid 2 beach crusers 1 tandem and at least 6 more that are beyond description

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
scars are better souveneers than teeshirts
Old 01-18-10, 02:37 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Kudos. Your gf is not only beautiful, but also possesses an adventurous spirit.
A man or woman without scars is a sad, sorry animal.
Old 01-18-10, 03:18 PM
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually did something stupid Friday night. Riding no handed along the river in the dark enjoying the view - didn't notice the branch/rock on the path. The front wheel popped out of control, and screaming like a little girl, I went over the handle bars into the grass. Nothing broken, nothing bent - what was that sound - oh yeah, it was me with a face full of dirt.
Old 01-18-10, 03:45 PM
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by custermustache
What kind of tool do you use to hold the back of those chainring bolts? They are too long for a regular screwdriver.
The Park CNW-2
https://www.parktool.com/products/det...=26&item=CNW-2
-Gene-
Old 01-18-10, 03:54 PM
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Amani576
High Fist Shin image assist.

-Shin
Old 01-18-10, 06:21 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
I use a dime and a pliers.
Old 01-18-10, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 393 Posts
This thread reminds my of a scene in "Jaws". I've had more than my share of falls, so I'll just relay my last one. I was riding in a large group (25-30 cyclists). We were doing about 25 MPH, when two guys in front of me locked wheels and went down. I had no chance. I was watching them both sliding in front of me and I had no hole to shoot for. I did manage to avoid hitting one of the riders, but I nailed his bike right at the crankset. The next thing I remember was laying on the ground listening to someone moaning. Then I realized it was me. Well, one broken collar bone, 10 ribs, 3 vertebrae, a collapsed lung, 8 days in the hospital and 4 1/2 months off the bike wasn't fun. To add insult to injury, two weeks after getting back on the bike, I missed a step and broke my foot. Two more months of no riding. BTW: My Pinarello died.

As for the other falls: 1 busted pelvis, 1 femur, 22 stitches (all over 4 spills). Also, I went to the ER after being scratched by a rat while riding (a story for another time).
Old 01-18-10, 07:25 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
Jeez, gearbasher.

Say, is that how you got your name?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-18-10, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have quite a few minor scars, especially on my shins from mountain biking. I did sprain a knee and brake a finger, too.

As for the road, my worst was road rash and a lingering scar on my knee (chain slipped on an old Schwinn climbing a steep hill, over the bars landing on my knee) and scars on the middle knuckle of all four fingers on my left hand from a bad wreck as a kid.

I don't mind crashing too much as long as cars aren't involved and I (and my bike) can still ride afterwards. Scars just add character.
Old 01-18-10, 07:40 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
The only scars I've got are kayak related (got sucked into a hole at the bottom of a waterfall; couldn't roll up in the aerated water. Had to bail, wound up getting washed down a class three rapid, banged up my leg). Oddly, I've also done the James thru Richmond at twelve feet and have no scars to show for it. Bikewise, two stand out:

Accelerating on a fixed gear down Richmond's Laburnum Avenue, and I snap the crank in two. Face plant into the pavement, Slide across road, band my hip on the curb. Pull myself off the street and wait for an ambulance ride. Thought I'd broken my leg, but was walking (albeit slowly) within 24 hours and riding again in 72.

First nice day in Wisconsin, early 80's. Had put the gears back on the bike and was blasting around town and campus. Tear around a curve; unfortunately it was in the shade and therefore icy. I go one way, bike goes another. Wind up walking off, albeit with my jeans completely torn away on my right leg.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 01-18-10, 08:56 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7359 Post(s)
Liked 2,495 Times in 1,448 Posts
I had scars on every single knuckle on both my hands when I was a professional bike mechanic, long ago. Most of them are faded away now. Others are covered by hair.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-18-10, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I hate it when you crash on chip seal and can see into your body via the new holes.
Old 01-18-10, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chipped a tooth when I was young just jumping bikes, somehow managed to plant my mouth against the handlebars on a landing.

A year and a half ago I busted a hand when I got taken out in a sprint at a road race.. hey I think theres a video of that on youtube somewhere, also received stitches as a result, basically my hand holding the handlebars drilled the metal barriers they like to line the finish with, up until that point I was proud (actually kinda embarrassed) to say I never broke a bone or had stitches before.

haha, Props to the guy who hit a police car AND an ambulance, just a fire engine to go!
Old 01-18-10, 09:08 PM
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher
This thread reminds my of a scene in "Jaws". I've had more than my share of falls, so I'll just relay my last one. I was riding in a large group (25-30 cyclists). We were doing about 25 MPH, when two guys in front of me locked wheels and went down. I had no chance. I was watching them both sliding in front of me and I had no hole to shoot for. I did manage to avoid hitting one of the riders, but I nailed his bike right at the crankset. The next thing I remember was laying on the ground listening to someone moaning. Then I realized it was me. Well, one broken collar bone, 10 ribs, 3 vertebrae, a collapsed lung, 8 days in the hospital and 4 1/2 months off the bike wasn't fun. To add insult to injury, two weeks after getting back on the bike, I missed a step and broke my foot. Two more months of no riding. BTW: My Pinarello died.

As for the other falls: 1 busted pelvis, 1 femur, 22 stitches (all over 4 spills). Also, I went to the ER after being scratched by a rat while riding (a story for another time).
You need to take up rock climbing or some other low risk endeavor. In 3 decades of climbing I have only lost one finger.

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 01-18-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 09:57 PM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gearbasher

Jezez! I crashed a motorcycle at 110-mph and came out better than that!
Old 01-18-10, 10:23 PM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Let's see...just recently we had a beautiful 60 degree day and I went out for a ride on my Bottecchia Gran Turismo. On my way through Manitou Springs I came upon a shady spot with uneven pavement covered with water. The water was from the melting ice beneath. Too late I saw it and went down so fast I didn't have time to react. Fortunately it was so slick the only damage was a bit of bruising on my right hip and shoulder from the impact and a very minor bit of roadrash on my hip. The bike was fine, not a scratch on it but my white cotton bar tape was a dirty, stained mess. Lucky for me I had shellaced it but it was still a lot of scrubbing to get it clean.

More serious was the accident that took out my original Bottecchia back in '96 - I was on my way to class after work, right in the middle of rush hour, when the light turned red. Traffice was bumper to bumper and moving really slow as I coasted along the side of the road to the intersection. Before I got there the light turned and traffic started moving again. I was doing about 20-mph when I reached the intersection. Immediately to my left and slightly ahead of me was a tow-truck. He turned right at the intersection and took me out. I must have looked like a bug on his passenger side window. That all happened so fast I didn't have time to think but after I was on the ground I could see the big dually rear wheels comming at me. He stopped just in time. My helmet was crushed, my collarbone broken, and the right side of my chest and shoulder sore as hell. Initially I was pinned by my backpack pulling on my broken collar bone so I couldn't move until the paramedics cut the backpack off of me. IIRC now the Bottecchia suffered a crushed front wheel, bent handlebars, and the fork was jammed so I would guess there was some frame damage but that is just a guess. It didn't see any obvious damage so who knows.
Old 01-19-10, 07:05 PM

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Not really bike related but I'm proud of it and you guys are pretty patient. Got this lovely powderburn when I was Master Gunner aboard a tall ship. It's faded a lot in the last ten years;

We were just off Ventura California doing an exhibition sail. There wasn't any wind and the sea was rolly and it was hot and I had a wicked hangover. We had 2 little deck guns on each side and I would fire them with a lintstock (a 3 or 4 foot stick with a smoldering piece of rope tied to the end so you didn't have to get too close).
As we came around the other boat's stearn (firing blanks, no balls) I had my hand on the rail to steady myself. I reached forward and fired the forward gun, then I reached back and fired the after gun. My elbow was just over the touch hole.
They say the backflash has about as much force as a 22. It spreads out, though. Cannon grade powder is pretty course, like gravel and it embedded itself in my skin and smoldered till it was done. I always wanted to have little numbers tatooed next to each dot so that when you connected them it would make a picture of something nautical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.