Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What were some of the common 'trick' modifications to road bikes back in the 70s/80s?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What were some of the common 'trick' modifications to road bikes back in the 70s/80s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
[pic of some has-been snipped]

Note panel-ectomy on the nearside rear door.
I see the trim removed. And the glass is replaced by a clear plastic panel with a solid panel / flap left open.

Or perhaps the glass is just rolled down to make way for the two-layer insert? Interesting "mod", in any event; not sure what the point is.....
Old 01-02-24, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I see the trim removed. And the glass is replaced by a clear plastic panel with a solid panel / flap left open.

Or perhaps the glass is just rolled down to make way for the two-layer insert? Interesting "mod", in any event; not sure what the point is.....
The whole door has been cut out so a mechanic can lean out lower down and fix things.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 01-03-24, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I can't believe no one has opined on the performance increases provided by installing these babies.

only if hot stamped Campagnolo
I have seen, gag gift at a bachelor party.
Old 01-03-24, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by madpogue

not all sedans have the factory glass that fully rolls down for the rear doors, not sure on this model.

the Headset on Eddy’s bike is curious too, and not a good observation angle, bike may not be a Colnago? Even though it has a Colnago pantographed stem.
‘Terren? (Sp)
Old 01-03-24, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by cegerer
Titanium components from Pino Morroni. I had his quick-release skewers on my Assenmacher late 70s. Interesting article here: TheRetroGrouch - Pino

Also, Modolo had carbon fiber downtube shifter levers available in 1980. There was much confusion about these, many believing they were plastic (which technically I suppose they were) and would surely break. I used them for years with no problem although I never cared for the curved design.

Tied & soldered spokes were common.

Lightened shifters. These were mine. The other broke

Yesterday just found a Pino rear skewer in my hub drawer. Sure are light. I would only consider for a vertical dropout.

the Modolo shift levers are a fiber reinforced plastic, chopped fibers in the resin and that helps reinforce. Unclear the actual aramid fiber used.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-05-24, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
OK, perhaps not the 70's or 80's though still is a 30 some year old bike.

Why use all those extra holes in the hub? Tie and solder spoke jobby plays nice on plastic tubular rims. And the plasti Modolo shift and brake levers are silk smooth action with lightened Alcan cables. 17.6 lbs w/ pedals.

Likes For chain_whipped: