Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ol' man winter!!show your pic's!!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ol' man winter!!show your pic's!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
You're Dr. Wilson from "House" !!
I never knew!

I've only seen the show a couple of times and I never thought that I looked much like him but you're not the only one whose noted a resemblance.
Old 10-10-09, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was taken last Jan or Feb (I don't recall). It was around 28 degrees.

Picture coutesy of k'tesh

I've since added a neoprene cover for my coffee cup.

This is the ride for the 3 or 4 days that we get snow.

Im not geared up to ride my bike in the snow so I just drive myself to a transit station where I catch the train. That is if I don't just work from home.
Old 10-11-09, 12:08 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
From last winter... hoping the winter tires won't have to go on the Trek for a while yet.

Old 10-11-09, 06:41 AM
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
My winter bike is always ready... the only month we have never gotten snow here is July.

Just asking. Why the foam on the top bar?

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 10-11-09, 10:39 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6250 Post(s)
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,393 Posts
My dark and cold bike

My dark, cold and snow on the ground bike

I rode the Stumpjumper through the very nasty blizzards of 2006 without studded tires. I never use studs. It's seldom worth it here in Denver.

This is what my roads looked like for about 6 weeks around Christmas of 2006

Eventually 6 blizzards got smashed into a river of ice...and I still didn't use studs
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-09, 10:53 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by al-wagner
Just asking. Why the foam on the top bar?
Top tube pad...

Worked as a messenger and this kept the top tube from getting banged up and is also there to protect me from the top tube as steel gets really cold in the winter and if I was to go down it would also provide some protection.

I ruptured the bursa in my knee once from slamming it into an unprotected top tube and was off the bike for 6 weeks.

It's nice to come to stop and be able to straddle the top tube and not end up being frozen to it...
Old 10-11-09, 11:13 AM
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much do non studded winter tires run? If our winter this year is anything like last year, I'll need some kinda winter tires to keep riding...
Old 10-11-09, 02:55 PM
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
we really need to go all out here in san diego. i even debated putting on fenders.
Old 10-11-09, 03:25 PM

Bikes: jamis nova, felt brougham, gunnar fastlane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, after seeing pics with those studded tires and snow pics I realize I should think twice before ever complaining about the light rainy "winter" here... you guys are an inspiration.
Old 10-11-09, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know if studded tires would be to useful for my location. I do know my LBS got some for a guy but they clear the roads pretty well around here. How do you guys know if you need them? Is there like a length of time that snow is on the roads? I can understand some of you guys in Chicago, Minnesota, Canada, Rochester, but what about other spots like Boston or upstate NY?
Old 10-11-09, 10:58 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It hasn't gotten above 36 for four days. record low temperatures. I wasn't expecting weather this cold this early, but I've just been riding the cyclocross bike instead of the singlespeed road bike. Thinking about moving the singlespeed parts over to a bike that can fit 35s. Have my eye on that cheap ss motobecane cross bike.
Old 10-11-09, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by exile
I don't know if studded tires would be to useful for my location. I do know my LBS got some for a guy but they clear the roads pretty well around here. How do you guys know if you need them? Is there like a length of time that snow is on the roads? I can understand some of you guys in Chicago, Minnesota, Canada, Rochester, but what about other spots like Boston or upstate NY?
Studded tires only help on icy surfaces. If you live in an area where you frequently have ice on the streets whether it be from freezing rain, compacted snow, or thaws and refreezes, studded tires may be quite beneficial.

If it's mainly just wet snow you deal with, they probably aren't worth it. There are plenty of people around here who don't use them. I wouldn't ride in the winter without them because the snow and ice tends to build up on the roads near my house. Busier streets don't have as much ice on them.
Old 10-11-09, 11:22 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Luddite
How much do non studded winter tires run? If our winter this year is anything like last year, I'll need some kinda winter tires to keep riding...
The Continental Town and Country gets excellent reviews from icebike.com as an excellent non studded tyre for winter... MEC carries them and they sell for $38.00 in a 26 by 1.9 size.

This is also a good tire for year round use but if you are only dealing with rain and no snow a slick tyre will work just fine.

For a 700 tyre I really like my Schwalbe CX Compe tyres for my Trek... they ran me $32.00 each and I have studded the front one as we do have to deal with ice.

Studding your own tyres is also rather easy to do and is very effective when you are dealing with ice.
Old 10-12-09, 05:12 AM

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my winter setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
n713210716_5725789_1769.jpg (49.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-12-09, 08:53 AM
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm always amazed on how quickly the streets are clean even after the worst snow storm. Now this only applies within the city limits and only for non-residential streets.
Old 10-12-09, 09:31 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rumpled
We will get some winter water falling from the sky, but it is a strange concept and probably less than most of you get in the summer.
I checked. The average monthly rainfall in L.A. in February (the wettest month) is less than we got last Friday morning.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-12-09, 12:18 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm pleased to see so many drop bar winter bikes. Now I don't feel like so much of a oddball.

Taken in March 2008. My '06 Trek Portland rockin' Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 studs and DiNotte lights.

Last winter it got wider fenders, and this year it gets a dynamo hub and Schmidt Edeluxe light.
Old 10-12-09, 12:54 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12872 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
As of last year, I just have one old tire I studded myself which is mounted to an old wheel that I throw on the front of one of my MTBs should the need arise.

Last winter was the first one since I've lived here that studs seemed warranted in the Portland metro area. Our snow and ice events typically only last a day, but not last winter.
Old 10-12-09, 02:42 PM
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally agree with IJM on the Marathon's, but I put them on this week-end on the one bike as it's suppose to be a mix of snow and rain later this week, which usually means ice. The Marathons are awesome on ice and saved me a few times encountering black ice.

But I noticed the back end sliding out too when I would get in that loose thick snow. But given the city's poor plowing it is pretty much impossible to ride if we get over 6 inches anyway so I probably wouldn't attempt it on a regular basis even with a better tire.

But for 75% of the winter the Marathon's did fine and that's what they make trainers for on the other 25%
Old 10-12-09, 03:19 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I have always ran a single front studded tyre and not had any issues... rear wheel slippage can be kept to a minimum if you are careful (and riding a fixed gear really helps) and rear wheel skids are recoverable whereas front wheel skids are not.

As to using drop bars in the winter... being able to get more aero is always a good thing and I find drop bars to be as comfortable as bars get.

This was 2008 and the temps were a balmy -20C.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 10-12-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 03:29 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12872 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
Oh, I forgot about the pictures bit. Don't have any from this winter yet, but here's one of me about to head home last winter:

Old 10-12-09, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tsl
I'm pleased to see so many drop bar winter bikes. Now I don't feel like so much of a oddball.
Last year was the first winter season I attempted to use a drop bar bike. The bike's limited tire clearance barely accommodated a Marathon Winter on the front. A Nokian W106 (which I like better) wouldn't fit. In the end I wasn't happy with it but I did enjoy having a drop bar.

So for this year I've got an old 700c mountain bike that I plan to put Salsa Bell Laps on. They're drop bars designed for cyclocross. They flare out a bit in the drops and I plan on getting a size thats wider across the tops than the bar that I had on last year's winter bike.
Old 10-12-09, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well Minnesota sees snow. I visited once and needed a ride. The road was drying out.
Old 10-12-09, 05:05 PM
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This year I'm going to ditch the flat bar/bar ends and through on a riser bar. Other than that it will be the same set up as last winter. Bring on the snow!!!

Old 10-12-09, 05:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rumpled
I don't understand this thread - winter doesn't start until Dec. 21.
We only get that water that falls from the sky for a few days every winter.
Not much winter to prepare for.
Consider yourself lucky, we have had a span of 50C in the last 3 weeks.
A swing of 78F. It's really screwed me up, didn't get a chance to acclimate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.