Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Geometry is Killing us. Literally at one intersection.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Geometry is Killing us. Literally at one intersection.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Your frustration is making you dyslexic..
Do you really need to go the ad-homimen route. For a typo?

It might help if you spell it out for those not familiar with the term, which I've only seen in maritime applications.
If you read the thread, it was used earlier and in the post I was replying to.

It's Constant Bearing, Diminishing Range and is what the article was talking about, though compounded by the pillar.

In any case, CBDR works both ways, so we might consider it from the cyclist's perspective and apply it to avoid in being complicit in our own death.
There was a hill and bushes obscuring the view.

From the cyclist's perspective, the car was approaching from slightly behind. And there was a hill and bushes obscuring the view.

The "constant bearing" stuff can't be used in the vast majority of intersections that cyclists deal with.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-13-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:07 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Do you really need to go the ad-homimen route. For a typo?
More by way of a friendly nose tweak.

Used as intro to my real point.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-13-18, 12:08 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
That's done at a much shorter distance than in the situation being discussed. That's able to be done without any notion of "bearing". You should already know that.
Google view of the offending intersection... showing that indeed one can see the cross road "at a much shorter distance," and thus should NOT just blast through the intersection, and that a driver looking off of center just a few degrees should be able to observe cross traffic.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86...7i13312!8i6656
Old 01-13-18, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by genec
Google view of the offending intersection... showing that indeed one can see the cross road "at a much shorter distance," and thus should NOT just blast through the intersection, and that a driver looking off of center just a few degrees should be able to observe cross traffic.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.86...7i13312!8i6656
Yes. I said this (more or less) earlier.

The issue wasn't really the "constant bearing" stuff. It was a failure of dealing with the yield properly.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-13-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:16 PM

More by way of a friendly nose tweak.

Used as intro to my real point.
Is dyslexia really something to make light of?

You didn't pay attention to post I was replying to that didn't explain it and used the same spelling.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-13-18 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:33 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Is dyslexia really something to make light of?
Having lived with it for a lifetime, going back to before it was a recognized thing, I'm very comfortable making light of it in many contexts.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-13-18, 01:01 PM

It's CBDR

It might help if you spell it out for those not familiar with the term, which I've only seen in maritime applications.

It's Constant Bearing, Diminishing Range and is what the article was talking about, though compounded by the pillar.
The article spells out the term.
Old 01-13-18, 01:25 PM
genec

Yes. I said this (more or less) earlier.

The issue wasn't really the "constant bearing" stuff. It was a failure of dealing with the yield properly.
Due to not observing cross traffic, and then assuming "king of the road" attitude.
Old 01-13-18, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Uh, right... so as a cyclist you've never looked at a car closing in on an intersection and modified your speed to ensure that you were not there when they were?

Perhaps DRIVERS don't do this much, but then it has been long established that DRIVERS are often not great at their task.
Keep in mind that the cyclist had the legal right of way. The drivers would have had the yield signs.

Freeway merges are common where one sees a car merging slightly ahead of oneself, and lets off the gas a bit to let them get ahead. Or slams on the gas to get past them.

I have also approached stopsigns, and perhaps slowed slightly to allow traffic to clear. It is all pretty common. Actually, going clipless, I can go mighty slow.

This, however, is a bit odd because the cyclist had the legal right-of-way, and the driver had the legal yield, so one would expect them to stop. But, if the cyclist had seen the car, then yes, coast for a couple of pedal strokes and let the car blow past. Of course, then one can have both the driver and cyclists adjust speed, but that confirms that they've seen each other.

From the cyclist's perspective, the car was approaching from slightly behind. And there was a hill and bushes obscuring the view.
That may be part of it, when approaching an intersection at an acute angle, with a car coming up faster, it may generally be unseen.

Although, this was pretty close to a right angle, so the car should have been visible, but the cyclist would still have had to look. I wonder if one's natural gaze is out to 90°, and the car was always behind that point.

37 MPH in the one case is only moderate speed. We've got a lot of roads where drivers will be over 50 MPH.
Old 01-13-18, 02:24 PM
genec

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Keep in mind that the cyclist had the legal right of way. The drivers would have had the yield signs.

Freeway merges are common where one sees a car merging slightly ahead of oneself, and lets off the gas a bit to let them get ahead. Or slams on the gas to get past them.

I have also approached stopsigns, and perhaps slowed slightly to allow traffic to clear. It is all pretty common. Actually, going clipless, I can go mighty slow.

This, however, is a bit odd because the cyclist had the legal right-of-way, and the driver had the legal yield, so one would expect them to stop. But, if the cyclist had seen the car, then yes, coast for a couple of pedal strokes and let the car blow past. Of course, then one can have both the driver and cyclists adjust speed, but that confirms that they've seen each other.

That may be part of it, when approaching an intersection at an acute angle, with a car coming up faster, it may generally be unseen.

Although, this was pretty close to a right angle, so the car should have been visible, but the cyclist would still have had to look. I wonder if one's natural gaze is out to 90°, and the car was always behind that point.

37 MPH in the one case is only moderate speed. We've got a lot of roads where drivers will be over 50 MPH.
Two great examples of where people who pay attention do use the CBDR technique, without thinking about what it really is... The freeway on ramp and merging is a perfect example of how DRIVERS DO do this... in spite of some folks thinking that "CRBD doesn't seem to really come into play driving anyway."

Of course we've all seen the driver that doesn't do this... the clown that comes right to the end of the merge ramp and then stops... because they did not "calculate" the merge.
Old 01-13-18, 02:55 PM

Let's be clear.

While the cyclists involved had the right of way, and the drivers are legally responsible for their deaths and injuries, there is still some degree of complicity by the cyclists themselves.

Yes, they were killed by a negligent driver, but they were also killed by false assumptions on their own part.

Either they assumed nothing was coming on the crossing road, or they assumed that the timing was OK, or they assumed that the driver would see them or heed the yield sign and slow or stop.

I'm not an advocate of slowing at every intersection, and don't do so. However, I am an advocate of maintaining situational awareness at all times, accounting for the vehicles around you, assuming nothing, and being ready to respond to their lapses.

Had those cyclists looked down the road and considered the possibilities, odds are they'd still be with us.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-13-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Let's be clear.

While the cyclists involved had the right of way, and the drivers are legally responsible for their deaths and injuries, there is still some degree of complicity by the cyclists themselves.

Yes, they were killed by a negligent driver, but they were also killed by false assumptions on their own part.

Either they assumed nothing was coming on the crossing road, or they assumed that the timing was OK, or they assumed that the driver would see them or heed the yield sign and slow or stop.

I'm not an advocate of slowing at every intersection, and don't do so. However, I am an advocate of maintaining situational awareness at all times, accounting for the vehicles around you, assuming nothing, and being ready to respond to their lapses.

Had those cyclists looked down the road and considered the possibilities, odds are they'd still be with us.
Exactly,

Although, the driver was likely always behind 90° with respect to the rider. So, while the cyclist may have been in the driver's pillar blind spot, the driver would have also required the cyclist to actually look, rather than just gaze in that direction.

So, it isn't just looking ahead, but also turning the head to follow the upcoming road, looking to the side and behind.
Old 01-14-18, 10:41 AM

It's a key part of the thesis of the article. Some people missed that. It's fine to question it.

The key thesis of the article is that the collision was unavoidable. Because the cyclist and the driver were not able to see.

It was a "perfect storm" of sorts due to a combination of factors that just "works right" to produce an unavoidable collision.

You don't have to agree with that thesis but you have to understand that that is the thesis.

One's natural gaze is to the front (0 degrees). The cyclist and the driver were likely looking straight ahead (until they got to the intersection). Peripheral vision doesn't go out as far as 90 degrees. One has to move their head around. Something vectoring in at 90 or more degrees is going to be hard to notice.

It seems that both parties might not have been aware of the intersection until they were fairly close.

The article wasn't saying it wasn't moderate. It was saying that it just happens to be the right speed to contribute to the problem.
Old 01-14-18, 10:46 AM

Due to not observing cross traffic, and then assuming "king of the road" attitude.
The failure came before "not observing cross traffic".

When I'm approaching a yield, I typically slow down and prepare to brake before being able to see traffic.

(Note that we can't know exactly what happened.)

Two great examples of where people who pay attention do use the CBDR technique, without thinking about what it really is... The freeway on ramp and merging is a perfect example of how DRIVERS DO do this... in spite of some folks thinking that "CRBD doesn't seem to really come into play driving anyway."
It's two different approaches to deal with the same problem.

Drivers are estimating relative speed at close range. Drivers aren't thinking of bearing really at all.

The point of CBDR is that it works at very far ranges where estimating relative speed is difficult. The only thing you need to keep track of is relative bearing. The point of CBDR is to carefully monitor bearing (something I don't think drivers actually do; they carefully monitor relative speed).

The other important (and obvious difference) is that vessels tend to be hard to maneuver. You have to use CBDR to be able to start reacting well in-advance of getting anywhere near having a collision.

There are very few intersections that have sufficient view for the range the using CBDR could even be used.

In any case, the thesis of the article is that CBDR could not have been used in this situation at all. It isn't recommending using CBDR.

The solution recommended by the article is to force the cross traffic to stop.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-14-18 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 11:05 AM

Let's be clear.

Drive (ride) defensively.

The article isn't saying not to do that.

It's describing a situation where a bunch of factors combine to make a particular intersection especially hazardous.

The fact that drivers/riders should drive defensively doesn't mean the intersection can't be improved.
Old 01-14-18, 11:31 AM

It's describing a situation where a bunch of factors combine to make a particular intersection especially hazardous.

The fact that drivers/riders should drive defensively doesn't mean the intersection can't be improved.
Yes to all points.

However, focusing entirely on the problem of design and bad drivers, without speaking to what cyclists can do, is a disservice to cyclists, who need constructive help more than explanations of other people's failures.

If writing for cyclists, (as we do here) speak to cyclists, and what THEY can do to help themselves.

Old 01-14-18, 11:40 AM

Yes to all points.

However, focusing entirely on the problem of design and bad drivers, without speaking to what cyclists can do, is a disservice to cyclists, who need constructive help more than explanations of other people's failures.

If writing for cyclists, (as we do here) speak to cyclists, and what THEY can do to help themselves.
I wish people added "and be sure to drive/ride defensively" in their heads to any discussions.

I don't have a problem with people also mentioning things cyclists can improve their chances.

The article is kind of technical and some people (not necessarily you) are not quite getting what it's saying. (Understanding what it's saying doesn't mean people have to agree with it.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-14-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-14-18, 12:00 PM

I wish people added "and be sure to drive/ride defensively" in their heads to any discussions.

I don't have a problem with people also mentioning things cyclists can improve their chances.

The article is kind of technical and some people (not necessarily you) are not quite getting what it's saying. (Understanding what it's saying doesn't mean people have to agree with it.)
Again we agree.

However, "and be sure to drive/ride defensively" is a platitude. It's right up there with always wear your helmet, obey traffic laws, and don't try this at home. Folks don't need platitudes or slogans. They need positive, constructive help to learn to recognize and compensate for various "pre-accident" conditions like the one described in the article.

The forum is called Advocacy and Safety. There are those who focus on advocacy, which is fine and good. However, I prefer to focus on safety, and write to my audience, which is cyclists, not traffic engineers.

So I focus on describing the elements and what cyclists can do to take care of themselves (specifically), like understanding CBDR, which is something mostly unknown to those who've never been at the helm at sea,and which is why I early on referenced this article as required reading.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-14-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 12:12 PM

However, "and be sure to drive/ride defensively" is a platitude. It's right up there with always wear your helmet, obey traffic laws, and don't try this at home. Folks don't need platitudes or slogans. They need positive, constructive help to learn to recognize and compensate for various "pre-accident" conditions like the one described in the article.
Yes, it's a platitude.

The idea is that people should always try to consider the defensive-driving issues even when it's not mentioned.

So I focus on describing the elements and what cyclists can do to take care of themselves (specifically), like understanding CBDR, which is something mostly unknown to those who've never been at the helm at sea,and which is why I early on referenced this article as required reading.
The CBDR thing really can't be used when driving/riding. It isn't necessary at all (people can manage intersections without it). One point of the article is that CBDR couldn't be used in this situation. Drivers use relative speed (not relative bearing) because the dynamics are different than piloting a vessel.

Bearing, in general, is a normal/common thing to keep track of (in a fairly precise way)(in a fairly precise way) on a vessel.

Having drivers keep track of bearing in a similar way is too much to ask and not very useful.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-14-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 12:22 PM

The CBDR thing really can't be used when driving/riding. ......
I disagree. Understanding CBDR is useful to cyclists, as one more tool when when approaching an intersection with cross traffic. I'm not focused on what the driver can do, but what the cyclist can do.

In this specific intersection, the car is approaching from over the cyclist's shoulder, so it would take a bit of a head turn to spot it. But that head turn should be SOP when approaching an intersection, and once the car is noted, then the cyclist must track it, consider the implications, and prepare his options.

As I said in an earlier post, I generally don't slow in these situations, but I confirm that the car is slowing, and/or have my options planned in my mind.

Old 01-14-18, 05:20 PM
genec

The failure came before "not observing cross traffic".

When I'm approaching a yield, I typically slow down and prepare to brake before being able to see traffic.

(Note that we can't know exactly what happened.)
Uh, but we can, there was a "black box" in the second and third vehicles that killed cyclists. The box recorded a steady speed of 37mph all the way right through the intersection.

Originally Posted by from the OP link
Chard was charged with causing death by careless driving and pleaded guilty; Parekh was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, but was found not guilty of the more serious offence by a jury despite having driven through the junction’s “give way” line at 37mph without slowing.

Parekh’s car had a black box type device, which (contrary to his statements to police) recorded his approach to the junction at a steady speed of 37mph.
It's two different approaches to deal with the same problem.

Drivers are estimating relative speed at close range. Drivers aren't thinking of bearing really at all.

The point of CBDR is that it works at very far ranges where estimating relative speed is difficult. The only thing you need to keep track of is relative bearing. The point of CBDR is to carefully monitor bearing (something I don't think drivers actually do; they carefully monitor relative speed).

The other important (and obvious difference) is that vessels tend to be hard to maneuver. You have to use CBDR to be able to start reacting well in-advance of getting anywhere near having a collision.

There are very few intersections that have sufficient view for the range the using CBDR could even be used.

In any case, the thesis of the article is that CBDR could not have been used in this situation at all. It isn't recommending using CBDR.

The solution recommended by the article is to force the cross traffic to stop.
As far as CBDR... as discussed... drivers use it all the time to merge. They don't call it that, they may not understand all the parameters, but they use it none the less.

Indeed the stopping solution isn't bad... provided that locals actually stop... otherwise the better solution is to ensure that they cannot just "fly" through the intersection... with speed bumps, or road offset or roundabout.
Old 01-14-18, 05:26 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Simple solution:

Are you a pedestrian? I wouldn't trust that thing with a nuclear secret.
Old 01-14-18, 05:29 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

What I've been saying for years now and always getting ignored and ridiculed about it.

Watch yourself as well as them. Ignorance is pain or death.
Old 01-15-18, 10:15 AM

I disagree. Understanding CBDR is useful to cyclists, as one more tool when when approaching an intersection with cross traffic. I'm not focused on what the driver can do, but what the cyclist can do.
In the vast majority of intersections that cyclist come across, CBDR can't be used (there aren't sufficient sightlines). (It wasn't usable, according to the article, in the cases the article talks about.)

The methods that are used for all those other intersections can also be used in the rare cases where cyclist might be able to use CBDR (a concept that is obscure for people without boat handling experience).

(CBDR is an old concept. If it was practical for cyclists to know about it, it seems unlikely that LAB, etc. didn't figure that out years ago.)

In this specific intersection, the car is approaching from over the cyclist's shoulder, so it would take a bit of a head turn to spot it. But that head turn should be SOP when approaching an intersection, and once the car is noted, then the cyclist must track it, consider the implications, and prepare his options.
Riding along, one might not realize that there's an intersection coming until one is rather close. The rider is probably paying much more attention to the potential of traffic overtaking on his right. I doubt that many experienced/careful cyclists are looking behind to the left to check that something is sneaking up from behind. Especially, after having seen what was there (cows, horses, and bushes).

It's possible that the cyclist didn't realize there was an intersection until he was very close to it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-15-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 10:18 AM

Uh, but we can, there was a "black box" in the second and third vehicles that killed cyclists. The box recorded a steady speed of 37mph all the way right through the intersection.
We don't know that the pillar setup was the same.

As far as CBDR... as discussed... drivers use it all the time to merge. They don't call it that, they may not understand all the parameters, but they use it none the less.
No, they use relative speed. They don't need to consider changing angles at all.

Indeed the stopping solution isn't bad... provided that locals actually stop... otherwise the better solution is to ensure that they cannot just "fly" through the intersection... with speed bumps, or road offset or roundabout.
Speed bumps would be relatively easy and cheap to add. The road offset or roundabout would be much more expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.