Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

2014 Weight Lifting!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-14, 05:09 AM

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Two things:

1. I see it parroted a lot that deadlifts are pretty stressful on the central nervous system. But I don't see much explication of that. Why? How do we know? And what are the symptoms of stressing your CNS?

2. I'm reading Starting Strength. Holy crap Rippetoe is sexist. I was impressed that plenty of information is also geared toward women, and there are women in the pictures - ie the book isn't just directed at men - and then he starts saying things like "If you insist on using gloves, make sure they match your purse" and then, less subtly, "if you do XXXXX, you are a *****."
Deadlifts will overtrain your CNS if done heavy all of the time. You'll experience symptoms of overtraining, high blood pressure, crappy sleep, injuries, etc. There are studies, I just don't feel like looking them up.
Westside Barbell is one of the most hardcore gyms around, and I've seen Louie Simmons reccommend only pulling a max from the floor at meets. They squat more often than deadlift, and most deads are done from blocks, racks, etc. You have elite athletes who live for the sport and even they aren't going balls out on deadlifts every week, so I'd say it's pretty taxing.

Ripp is a jackass. He never really excelled at powerlifting, his squat form is questionable, and he's got a big mouth. Somehow he became a decent coach, wrote a book and has tons of supporters. I'd personally rather follow the advice of guys who actually did something in powerlifting. Wendler wasn't great but he's a hell of a lot better than Ripp and I like his training a bit more. Brian Carroll and Brandon Lilly also have their own training programs and they're exponentially better lifters than Rippetoe ever was.

Last edited by bmontgomery87; 04-29-14 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-29-14, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home gym update.

Last year I started to be convinced that weights might be beneficial not only for track, but for life. Knowing that I would never (ever) be able to stick to a routine that involved driving to a gym, I started with this:

Squatting barefoot on the carpet. Pretty ghetto, but I needed to make sure this lifting thing was actually for me (skinny roadie, 50+, never lifted before). As soon as I got on that intoxicating novice growth curve -- and without killing myself -- I figured this was going to stick. It also helped that my wife started lifting and enjoyed it. Platform was the next step. There are dozens of plans on the internet, most of them the standard 5 pieces of plywood and horse stall mat:

That thing is glued and screwed (and wicked heavy) so it's never leaving the garage that now has only a standard doorway. So we're committed... might as well upgrade the little junior rack.

It's a bit overkill for my meager purposes, but I love spending time out there... and for a total budget of under $1500, I expect to get pretty good value out of it.
Old 04-29-14, 03:37 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,464 Posts
Nice Vance.
Old 04-29-14, 09:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slick home set up Vance!
I'm fortunate in that I work in a gym. Although sometimes it would be nice to train not at work.

Heaviest I've deadlifted since my layoff today. Encouraging in some ways, frustrating to be so "off". Last triple on the end of a 5x3 at 190kg. Felt slow but upon review I'm okay with the speed given the training situation. Getting pulled forward considerably but I feel like I can compensate. If I feel good on the next pull session I think I'll push for a 200 5x2 and then reset further down.
Regardless, feel great on the bike. After a few days off of it, it was a blast to commute today. Used to be huffing and puffing when I rolled into work, now I'm sprinting the last 1/4 mile in. Feels good man.

Last edited by DanAVL; 04-29-14 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice pulls Dan!!

i was thinking today that I would push guys to post up more vids here- and there yours was!!

Ill throw a deadlift vid up later
Old 04-29-14, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Nice setup @VanceMac! Did you end up going Chinese for the bits?
Old 04-30-14, 12:53 AM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Nice posts Dan and Vance...I'm envious
Old 04-30-14, 05:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best pull, done in a silly hat for extra street cred.

I don't normally hold stuff at lockout like that, but I had spent the better part of the year chasing a 500 pound deadlift, nailed 525 reverse band and had missed 500 from blocks earlier that month.
Old 04-30-14, 08:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There a lots of heavy ass weights being picked up and dropped around here. BMont, that is the kind of Clubber Lang gym I had envisioned (preferred?)... raw and primal. I failed.

Originally Posted by brawlo
Nice setup @VanceMac! Did you end up going Chinese for the bits?
Not sure what bits you are referring to. The cage is by Body Solid, which I bought through fitnessfactory.com (and made in China).
Old 04-30-14, 08:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was, amazingly, even more raw and shady before, but it's gotten a bit nicer these days.
I'm really happy with the basic setup, my deadlift platform is plywood, leftover laminate flooring, and some cheap gym mats.
It smells like ammonia and sweat, and chalk dust is everywhere, wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-30-14, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not my heaviest Dead- i pulled 551lbs two different times in competitions as a 198#

but- this is my biggest Dead as a percentage of bodyweight:

518lbs at 181lb bodyweight
Old 04-30-14, 09:46 AM
Version 7.0

Beast.
Old 04-30-14, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gnarly pulling Quinn and Montgomery.

The silly hat definitely legitimizes the lift. Dig the gym set up.

These are my best training lifts from last year when prepping for a meet at 165#. So, I was 172-5 most days.

The meet ended up being crap, poor attempt selections. Although did set and all-time bench PR of 295. Close enough to hate yourself for not hitting 3-hondo.
I've reset my all-time squat at 430 at this BW but have never really come close to usurping my all time DL PR of 565. Definitely a lifetime goal to reset that one.
Old 04-30-14, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice pull. diggin' the inzer lever belt.
Old 04-30-14, 10:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah... I won't be posting any videos!
Old 04-30-14, 11:18 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by VanceMac
Me neither.
Old 04-30-14, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice stuff Dan.
Noticed your location, do you ride at the Mellowdrome any? I've thought about making a trip down sometime to check it out. Love the town, lots of beer.
Old 04-30-14, 03:25 PM
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Goddamn, you guys are really good at picking heavy things up and putting them down again.
Old 04-30-14, 04:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
Nice stuff Dan.
Noticed your location, do you ride at the Mellowdrome any? I've thought about making a trip down sometime to check it out. Love the town, lots of beer.
For sure man. On the mellowdrome several times a week. Its where I do all my "track" workouts. The surface has some choppy spots but its not so bad.

Loooads of beer. My gym is a block away from the New Belgium brewery thats being built.
Old 04-30-14, 10:05 PM

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac

I lifted cake to my mouth for a few reps at after the track tonight, but didn't get a video.
Old 05-01-14, 04:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanAVL
For sure man. On the mellowdrome several times a week. Its where I do all my "track" workouts. The surface has some choppy spots but its not so bad.

Loooads of beer. My gym is a block away from the New Belgium brewery thats being built.
If I manage to make it down there this year I'll have to let ya know. I've been wanting to ride on a track (closest one is 3 hours or so from me) and thought about coming to Asheville so I can justify the drive by doing some other stuff in town.
Thinking a day at the track, hitting up some breweries and then catching a show at the Orange Peel.
Old 05-03-14, 11:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmontgomery87
If I manage to make it down there this year I'll have to let ya know. I've been wanting to ride on a track (closest one is 3 hours or so from me) and thought about coming to Asheville so I can justify the drive by doing some other stuff in town.
Thinking a day at the track, hitting up some breweries and then catching a show at the Orange Peel.
Yeah be sure and hit me up. You can use our gym is you need to get any weight work in.
I believe the local trackies get together Sat. morning at 930 for laps. And there's almost always something decent at the Orange Peel on Saturdays in the summer.
Old 05-08-14, 02:13 PM

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not wanting to get into a whole nutrition thread, but what do you guys eat after the gym and how do you time it? With road riding Im pretty used to what my body wants/needs based on the ride but I imagine 3hrs of riding in the sun is a lot different than 45mins of lifting at the gym.

I would assume sooner the better still applies? Is it sugar/carb focused or is it heavy on protien? In a perfect world, is the workout before or after your largest meal of the day?
Old 05-08-14, 02:45 PM
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Not wanting to get into a whole nutrition thread, but what do you guys eat after the gym and how do you time it? With road riding Im pretty used to what my body wants/needs based on the ride but I imagine 3hrs of riding in the sun is a lot different than 45mins of lifting at the gym.

I would assume sooner the better still applies? Is it sugar/carb focused or is it heavy on protien? In a perfect world, is the workout before or after your largest meal of the day?
I try to eat some protein immediately.
Not even a meal. Just, putting some proteins in me.
Sometimes it's a couple of eggs. Sometimes it's bastard tacos with lentils. Sometimes I gnaw on a sausage like a damn savage and I don't feel bad about it.
Sometimes I holler way hard at a bucket of yogurt.
Old 05-08-14, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Sometimes I holler way hard at a bucket of yogurt.
This slayed me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.