Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Do you Sigma?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 09:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you Sigma?

Hello,

I have been looking into bike computers, and have you to make up my mind. I have come across Sigma, and they have a wide variety of option.

I am looking for a computer that will track, current speed, average speed, distance, and wireless. Cadence would be nice, but is not a must.

Any thoughts on the Sigma Sport BC 12.12 STS or Sigma Sport BC 16.12 STS CAD? Any thoughts other Sigma computers or anything else in the sub $100 range?

RH
Old 08-18-14, 10:17 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by therh
Hello,

I have been looking into bike computers, and have you to make up my mind. I have come across Sigma, and they have a wide variety of option.

I am looking for a computer that will track, current speed, average speed, distance, and wireless. Cadence would be nice, but is not a must.

Any thoughts on the Sigma Sport BC 12.12 STS or Sigma Sport BC 16.12 STS CAD? Any thoughts other Sigma computers or anything else in the sub $100 range?

RH
I have a BC 1609 and my wife has a BC 1209. Both are outstanding computers. I like the 2 bike harnesses so that I can set up the computer for 700C and 26" wheels. I have the wired version which is a bit cheaper and has less problems with certain types of interference. The computer itself is incredibly waterproof, having gone throught the wash several times.

The mount is really positive and better that other mounts I've used. I had Cateye...which are good computers... in the past but the mounts for the Cateye are prone to breakage and then the computer comes off. I lost 3 of them in one year at about $50 per unit. I haven't lost a Sigma in about 5 years of use.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-22-14, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, dropbar commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the 1609 still available?
Old 08-22-14, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by kabt53
Is the 1609 still available?
No. But the 1612 is essentially the same computer.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-22-14, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I bought my Garmin eTrex GPS, I used cyclecomputers and considered various Sigmas. The one thing that put me off about them was the units I looked at didn't have replaceable batteries. For me, that was a showstopper. Other than that, I'd have bought one.

Best of luck.
Old 08-22-14, 04:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
[h=1]Σ ... ?[/h]
Old 08-29-14, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dual650c
Before I bought my Garmin eTrex GPS, I used cyclecomputers and considered various Sigmas. The one thing that put me off about them was the units I looked at didn't have replaceable batteries. For me, that was a showstopper. Other than that, I'd have bought one.

Best of luck.
Huh? I've had a couple of Sigmas. They use a CR2032 coin battery that is easily accessed through the bottom of the computer just like every other bicycle computer I've owned. I've even changed the battery.

Old 08-29-14, 10:06 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have 7 Sigmas. They all work fine, 6 have been in the rain. They all have replaceable batteries. The oldest one is from around
1999 it has over 10,00 miles on it in 15 years, never a problem. I get a few years from each battery. Never counted the years.

The two newest ones mate to a docking station that feeds the data to my lap top. It stores data, will compare rides, and lets you map your ride.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 08-29-14 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-14, 05:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops. I misremembered and miswrote what I intended - I meant Polar, not Sigma. Sorry about that.
Old 08-30-14, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dual650c
Oops. I misremembered and miswrote what I intended - I meant Polar, not Sigma. Sorry about that.
Okay. No problem. However, I doubt that Polar uses unreplacable batteries either. I have a Polar monitor once. It wasn't obvious how to change the batteries but they could be changed.

Old 08-30-14, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't say ALL... or didn't mean to imply that. OTOH, the ones I looked at definitely required sending them back to the factory for battery replacement - at a significant cost.

Back to your favorite non-nit-picking channel.
I'm out of the thread.
Old 08-30-14, 01:33 PM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, it's not nit-picking if someones wrong in the Internet... Seriously though, many if not all Polars are waterproof. As in, go ahead and swim with one. That's why they require you to take it to an authorized service point for battery replacement (NOT to the factory). They can make sure it's properly re-sealed after they change the battery.

Before I went all GPS I had several Sigmas, wired and wireless. Very solid computers and the dual bike mount was useful. In our winter I preferred wired units. I keep the winter bike outside for long periods at a time, and cold weather killed the batteries in the wireless transponder. Sigmas were excellent for cycling, but GPS works better for me in multi-sport use (mainly XC skiing and paddling besides cycling, in my case).

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-08-14, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1, Giant Roam 2, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Cypress

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the 12.12 and never had a problem. $75 at REI. Doesn't have a cadence sensor, but on the plus side it is wireless.
Old 09-08-14, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an old polar hr monitor and I changed the battery of the chest strap. Failed in weeks, I broke the seal and it didn't reseal and moisture for in.
Old 09-08-14, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Save your money, get wired. Wireless non-digital computers are extremely prone to RF interference especially from headlights, leading to unreliable readings. You're basically paying more money to get a worse product. If you move up to the $200+ range you can find excellent digital wireless units like a Garmin 500.

Your best options are a good wired computer, or spend the extra money for a more advanced GPS computer with ANT+.
Old 09-09-14, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by gsa103
Save your money, get wired. Wireless non-digital computers are extremely prone to RF interference especially from headlights, leading to unreliable readings. You're basically paying more money to get a worse product. If you move up to the $200+ range you can find excellent digital wireless units like a Garmin 500.

Your best options are a good wired computer, or spend the extra money for a more advanced GPS computer with ANT+.
I agree. The Sigma BC1612 is a wired computer that sells for around $50. The BC1612 STS is the wireless for around $85. Personally, I can deal with the wires for $35 less. A second bike harness for wired costs about $12 and a cadence sensor (if you want one) costs another $12. A wireless harness set for the STS costs $75.

Old 09-09-14, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree. The Sigma BC1612 is a wired computer that sells for around $50. The BC1612 STS is the wireless for around $85. Personally, I can deal with the wires for $35 less. A second bike harness for wired costs about $12 and a cadence sensor (if you want one) costs another $12. A wireless harness set for the STS costs $75.
I'm looking for something a little better than the cat eye that came with a light I wanted. I figured it was on sale and I get the computer and light for $20 so got it. I found the BC1612 wired for $30 on amazing and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and just leave the other on my old bike for now. Seems like the only problem is the backlight can't be selected to stay on so it's practically useless for early morning or night rides.
Old 09-09-14, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by LGHT
I'm looking for something a little better than the cat eye that came with a light I wanted. I figured it was on sale and I get the computer and light for $20 so got it. I found the BC1612 wired for $30 on amazing and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and just leave the other on my old bike for now. Seems like the only problem is the backlight can't be selected to stay on so it's practically useless for early morning or night rides.
The backlight can be selected to stay on for 5 seconds according to the Sigma manual

Light manager k Simultaneously press the SET and
RESET buttons to activate or deactivate the backlight
function. Once the backlight function is activated,
press any button and the display will illuminate for
5 seconds.

Old 09-09-14, 01:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The backlight can be selected to stay on for 5 seconds according to the Sigma manual
OK that's at least better than nothing, but I think most people that didn't like the feature wanted it to stay on for things like night riding. I don't ride at night often enough for it to be a deal breaker for me. Plus I'm cheap. My whole bike costs less than what some guys spends on just their computers...
Old 09-10-14, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by LGHT
OK that's at least better than nothing, but I think most people that didn't like the feature wanted it to stay on for things like night riding. I don't ride at night often enough for it to be a deal breaker for me. Plus I'm cheap. My whole bike costs less than what some guys spends on just their computers...
The backlight is an energy hog and chews through the CR2032 battery quickly. Other computers I've seen with backlights use a similar strategy. On the other hand, if you use a helmet light, you don't need the backlight. On still another hand..."Pardon me, sir. May I borrow another hand?...I'm usually occupied at night with other concerns and checking my computer is low on the priority list.

That price is, indeed, a killer price on the 1612

Old 09-10-14, 08:41 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The backlight is an energy hog and chews through the CR2032 battery quickly. Other computers I've seen with backlights use a similar strategy. On the other hand, if you use a helmet light, you don't need the backlight. On still another hand..."Pardon me, sir. May I borrow another hand?...I'm usually occupied at night with other concerns and checking my computer is low on the priority list.

The backlight on that computer is not very bright anyway. Also the first button touch lights the computer without changing the function. Need to hit it twice to change functions.

As you said a helmet light is better. My helmet light uses rechargeable batteries so I don't care how much I use it on a ride.

However when you do run down the battery in the computer, all you need to do is reset the clock. All the rest of the data stays in the computer.
Old 09-10-14, 09:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ahh so that makes a lot more sense than. I never thought about the battery being the issue. I'm sure a LOT more people would complain about it being a battery hog if you could set it so it stays on for the entire ride.
Old 01-20-16, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Maria Casquitos: 15" MTB 26" frame+ 8spd Alivio 2007 groupset. 48TT CR. Celestina: 16" MTB tandem frame with Shimano Alivio 2014 groupset, 48TT CR. Greta: tailored steel road frame (Duarte) with Sora 9spd groupset, Mavic Kysrium SL SSC WS 50-34/28-11

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using a 16.12 wired with cadence everyday for about 4 years now. It is a very good deal as it has cadence, temperature and back light for a very good price.

My only complains are temperature readings (unreliable) and plastic quality. I like the handlebar mount but it tends to fail after a few months, it seems that it doesn't make a good contact.

It is a very good cyclocomputer, but I'm afraid it won't last decades like my old Cateye Enduro8.
Old 01-31-16, 09:50 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I had a 1609 (wireless) for years. I like that it didn't lose it's info when I changed the batteries.
My MagicShine light as well as my mintyboost usb battery extender interfered with the wireless transmission.
It was a bit hard to remember what the 4 buttons did at first
You have remember to hit "start" each ride, unlike Cateye and other computers I've had.

That said, I still liked it a lot. I used it to track total miles. Now that I use my Garmin and Strava I log everything that way.
Old 02-04-16, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 Sigmas, one on my Bike Friday and the other on my Lemond. I like them. Both are the 8 function kind, wired variety. I forget their model numbers. They are as good if not better than my old mainstay, the Cateye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.