Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Grail bike: CO-MOTION experts help with model choice…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Grail bike: CO-MOTION experts help with model choice…

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 10:35 PM
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr;[url=tel:23094812
23094812[/url]]This may be redundant, but here goes: I went into my Gunnar with data from a medical professional's fitting on a previous bike. Vecchio’s incorporated that into their fitting decisions, along with what they saw on their fitting stand. As a result I have the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden. Everything else about the Gunnar is stellar, but the fit is the thing that I notice the most.
Looks like Gunnar unfortunately closed their doors for good in June.
Old 12-14-23, 08:03 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
Originally Posted by Thigh Master
Looks like Gunnar unfortunately closed their doors for good in June.
Yeah that probably disrupted a lot of stuff when Waterford closed. It is super sad. In addition to Gunnar they also do the MKE Bikes and I think Detroit cycles and probably some other semi custom U.S. brands. I know they did a bunch of stuff but losing Waterford hurts I have had some opportunities to buy some used stuff but it wasn't what I wanted and when I heard they were closing I didn't have the money to buy my dream lugged masterpiece. Ah well I will find another bike at some point down the line.
Old 12-14-23, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Why do you want a pinion gearbox? The mechanical efficiency of pinion gears is significantly lower than chain drive. It seems to me you are needlessly constraining your choice due to focus on that one thing.

I recently saw a video on Pinion gear boxes and the efficiency discussion was brought up, but OP is not racing it so some of that issue is not really a factor, but still something to think about. My only concern would be if maintenance is needed and you are somewhere that can't handle, but I was very intrigued with the drivetrain and would consider it for a touring bike.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 12-14-23 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-14-23, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 279 Posts
I recently saw a video on Pinion gear boxes and the efficiency discussion was brought up, but OP is not racing it so some of that issue is not really a factor, but still something to think about. My only concern would be some maintenance and you are somewhere that can't handle it if needed, but I was very intrigued with the drivetrain and would consider it for a touring bike.
What maintenance are you talking about. Both the pinion and the Rohloff need an oil change once a year. There would be periodic changing of the shift cables. This is maintenance you can learn to do yourself. The efficiency drama is annoying at best. I have a gates belt on my Rohloff equipped bicycle. The Rohloff is the most efficient IGH made. A freshly cleaned and lubed chain is more efficient. A not so clean chain on a derailleur bicycle can be as or more inefficient. A belt sheds most debris but a chain is a magnet for it. Gates belts last 3-5 times as long as a chain. I can literally sleep with my bicycle. It is even less messy than the wife.
Likes For Rick:
Old 12-14-23, 11:14 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
What maintenance are you talking about. Both the pinion and the Rohloff need an oil change once a year. There would be periodic changing of the shift cables. This is maintenance you can learn to do yourself. The efficiency drama is annoying at best. I have a gates belt on my Rohloff equipped bicycle. The Rohloff is the most efficient IGH made. A freshly cleaned and lubed chain is more efficient. A not so clean chain on a derailleur bicycle can be as or more inefficient. A belt sheds most debris but a chain is a magnet for it. Gates belts last 3-5 times as long as a chain. I can literally sleep with my bicycle. It is even less messy than the wife.

Sorry, maintenance was not the correct word, as I agree with you on the belt changes or oil changes, that can be handled by the user. I am talking about more involved issues, such as snapped belt, broken gear teeth, or even one of the cables being pulled out or destroyed, something like that. Now, I will say, chances of that happening probably pretty next to none, but depending on how far out in the wilderness or area you are, if something like that happened, it could be far more of an issue to get resolved quickly. However, as I mentioned before, I would consider getting one, even with the price of the thing. It just seems like a great option for touring or back woods riding where drive train general maintenance would be an afterthought.

Old 12-15-23, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 279 Posts
Sorry, maintenance was not the correct word, as I agree with you on the belt changes or oil changes, that can be handled by the user. I am talking about more involved issues, such as snapped belt, broken gear teeth, or even one of the cables being pulled out or destroyed, something like that. Now, I will say, chances of that happening probably pretty next to none, but depending on how far out in the wilderness or area you are, if something like that happened, it could be far more of an issue to get resolved quickly. However, as I mentioned before, I would consider getting one, even with the price of the thing. It just seems like a great option for touring or back woods riding where drive train general maintenance would be an afterthought.
Broken belts seem to happen more from abuse, such as how Vanduzer did his. He has a video on it. Alee from cyclingabout broke one at around 30,000-32,000 kilometers. A belt weighs 1/3 the weight of a chain. Easy to carry a spare or just replace ahead of time. Cables are easy to replace like on any bicycle. I have seen broken teeth on freewheels and freehubs. I haven't heard of this on a Rohloff. I have heard of the hub flanges on the Rohloff cracking. Rohloff warns against uneven spoke tension. The Rohloff hub is quite large and my new bike had a poor choice of rims for such a large hub. The nipple spoke alignment was bad. I ordered in Old stock new Velocity Psycho rims and sapim spokes with there spoke heads that they claim allows more angle movement. I also at a forum members suggestion later installed their flange support rings. It is easy to plan ahead. years ago I carried extra chain links and cables so I was prepared. Their are people out there that have traveled the equivalent of 200,000 or more miles on a Rohloff.
Likes For Rick: