Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cotton or Poly in this Heat?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cotton or Poly in this Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
However, polyester is moisture-wicking and will keep you dry when you are sweating. Cotton is highly absorbent and will show sweat patches.
Agreed that cotton is good for sitting around relaxing or for casually strolling around in hot weather. But for most sport cycling, synthetics are clearly superior, as attested by the majority posting in this thread.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-28-22, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I disagree (to put it mildly).

For cycling in the heat? I haven't worn a square millimeter of cotton while cycling in decades, whether hot or cold. In fact, I don't wear cotton while cycling, hiking/backpacking, skiing (Alpine or Nordic), snowshoeing, playing tennis, running or any physical activity.

Cotton is fine for temperate conditions, for leisure activities and for office work clothing. But if it's hot or cold, or if you're doing any sort of physical activity for more than a few minutes, wool or synthetics perform far better. Cotton stays wet, bunches up and causes chafing/blisters (cotton socks are particularly evil), is clammy to the touch and holds moisture against your skin, and is heavy as heck. The last time I wore cotton while backpacking (cotton underwear and t-shirts; everything else was wool or synthetic), I was miserable. It rained frequently that week, I couldn't get any of my cotton clothing dry. On (what turned out to be) my last day is started sleeting heavily (at that point, I turned around and went back to the nearest road, hitchhiked into town and found a place to stay; went home the next day). This was nearly 30 years ago, and since that day I haven't worn cotton during any sort of extended activity.

I have no experience with desert conditions, so maybe this does not apply for cyclists in dry climes.

What you needed for that experience was wool.
Cotton is ideal for arid climates, which include hot and dry, and very cold and dry. It is the choice for the Arctic and Antarctic both (not as insulation but for the shell).
As far as cycling, I admitted it has a considerable drawback in aero drag and that rules it out for most high-speed cyclists. Merino was the choice of these cyclists until synthetics advanced enough. Make no mistake though, no synthetic is as good as cotton for extreme heat. It's only when the criteria of low aero drag is added that the compromise of Lycra has appeal.
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-28-22, 10:34 AM
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
My wife and I made it through Phoenix on a hot summer afternoon on the motorcycle by doing a full-body wet-down of our cotton jeans, shirts, and jackets. They were dry fifty miles later. More than once I've soaked my cotton T-shirt for cooling off while hiking. That can really work against you in cold weather, however. But, cotton jeans don't get wet in -20 degree snow, either!

That said, I wear mostly Pearl Izumi synthetic clothing while riding these days, and it works well, as it ought to, for the expense. Patagonia Capilene long underwear, too.

Ben Franklin supposedly said: "I eat to please myself, but I dress to please others".

I'd go with: "Suit yourself".
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 07-28-22, 11:24 AM

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I am very happy with a Fieldsheer Mobile Cooling shirt and neck gaiter. 50 SPF UV protection, vented back and underarms, no odor, very comfortable. Riding generates enough breeze for the garment to keep me cool. It's a synthetic fabric, not sure what the technical specs are. Available in various colors. I choose neon yellow for riding.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 07-28-22, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
I find cotton cooler than polyester in high heat/sun situations. Any riders agree?

gm
Poly since it will wick better, but it all depends on weight, fit, and weave
Old 07-28-22, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
What you needed for that experience was wool.
Cotton is ideal for arid climates, which include hot and dry, and very cold and dry. It is the choice for the Arctic and Antarctic both (not as insulation but for the shell).
As far as cycling, I admitted it has a considerable drawback in aero drag and that rules it out for most high-speed cyclists. Merino was the choice of these cyclists until synthetics advanced enough. Make no mistake though, no synthetic is as good as cotton for extreme heat. It's only when the criteria of low aero drag is added that the compromise of Lycra has appeal.
I remember my grandfather (I am one now) telling me about wool cycling jerseys, football and Baseball uniforms as well as swimming suits. It seems like everything goes in circles!

gm
Old 07-28-22, 08:00 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
on both cases depends on how much of that dumpster vodka you have been consuming
This and the golf club are so old and shop worn it is getting wearisome and not funny. Is it too much to ask to let them go?

Old 07-28-22, 08:06 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
This rider does not agree. Faster wicking and evaporation with poly.

iI’s the evaporation that keeps you cool.
I agree with Terry Morse in disagreeing with that other guy.

Cotton is for casual activities and moderate conditions. In the heat, it traps sweat (does not evaporate easily) so keeps you too hot. In the cold it likewise traps sweat, and in this case keeps you too cold. It's great in spring and fall. For really hot days I like synthetics, and cold days I like merino wool, especially SmartWool brand.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 07-28-22, 11:18 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Depends upon where you live and how you keep cool. Before I retired and when I had to ride in the afternoon in summer, the only way I could ride any distance safely was to ride wet. Fortunately water sources are easily accessible at local parks. It would take about 5 miles to go from soaking wet to bone dry. Even with temperatures around 100 it was chilling to put on a wet t-shirt. This works in areas with low humidity. Cotton was my fabric of choice because it holds a lot more moisture than synthetic fabrics. If you are solely relying on sweat for cooling and live in a humid area I agree that the wicking fabric are better. Here it really doesn't matter as even cotton stays dry because of the fast evaporation rate. It is way to easy to dangerously overheat relying on perspiration alone.
My synthetics still dry up way too fast even in high humidity >70%. And I'm already wearing light colored or white shirts that reflects sun's heat. Maybe it's the rolling hills, the shirt drying up in fast downhill.

Might actually try cotton shirt and wet it and see. Thanks for the tip!!
Old 07-29-22, 03:55 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
My synthetics still dry up way too fast even in high humidity >70%. And I'm already wearing light colored or white shirts that reflects sun's heat. Maybe it's the rolling hills, the shirt drying up in fast downhill.

Might actually try cotton shirt and wet it and see. Thanks for the tip!!
Drying out is what they're supposed to do. The evaporative effect is what keeps you cool. The water absorbed in the clothes actually keeps the 'heat' in. If the air temperature is below body temperature, the moisture evaporating off your skin carries excess body heat with it.
In a hot dry environment, where the ambient air temperature is approaching or above body temperature, a wet shirt can help because that moisture is absorbing the heat from the air, before it gets to you.
​​​​​​In a very humid environment, the moisture has a harder time evaporating. A synthetic shirt will carry sweat off your skin, and also give it more surface area to eventually evaporate. A cotton shirt will absorb this moisture, and the excess body heat that comes with it, and not release it to the air. Have you ever noticed how heavy a wet t-shirt gets, or how long it takes to dry out?
I've spent most of the summer working in Louisiana, wearing FR-rated (100% cotton) work clothes, and it has been miserable; they stay wet for hours

There's a reason that there are almost no clothes intended for active/athletic use (like cycling) that are 100% cotton, and it's not marketing.
Old 07-29-22, 07:40 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Wet cotton sucks, but it conducts heat a lot better than dry cotton, which has essentially the conductivity of air. Any fabric which fails to saturate with water will conduct heat less efficiently. Cotton has about the same evaporative cooling capacity as other fabrics. The big problem with cotton is that it absorbs water, rather than wicking it to the surface efficiently. It's also abrasive and non-elastic.

U. Reischl et al./ Journal of Fiber Bioengineering and Informatics 9:4 (2016)237–245.
Old 07-29-22, 08:06 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Disclosure: I am a student of the thermal sciences.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
If the air temperature is below body temperature, the moisture evaporating off your skin carries excess body heat with it.
Evaporative heat transfer occurs whether the air temperature is above or below skin temperature. Good thing, too. Otherwise, we would all die when the air temperature went above 100F.

The energy released when water evaporates is called the Latent Heat of Evaporation. Water's latent heat is 2256 kJ/kg, which is a big number, and it shows how powerful sweating can be. Every ml of evaporated sweat carries away over 2 kJ of energy. Enough to cool 1 liter of water by about 0.5C.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
In a hot dry environment, where the ambient air temperature is approaching or above body temperature, a wet shirt can help because that moisture is absorbing the heat from the air, before it gets to you.
Not really, the cooling effect of a wet shirt is entirely through evaporation (not the transient transfer of heat from hot air to cooler liquid water). A wet shirt is effective because its surface is wet, allowing evaporation to continue without interruption.

Old 07-29-22, 08:32 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Disclosure: I am a student of the thermal sciences.
Thanks for science -ing that out; my understanding of the evaporative mechanism is based on anecdotal experience and freshman physics a quarter -century ago.
All I can add is that wet cotton ( whether water or sweat) is that absolute worst thing to wear if you have to do any kind of athletic activity
Likes For Ironfish653: