Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Caught on cam: Bicycle crushed by tanker truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
What I learned in Driver's Ed: If you can't see where you're going, stop. If your vehicle can't be safely driven, stop.

I also learned "defensive driving," which my mom described thusly: "Always assume the other guy is a blind idiot." I apply that when I'm driving a car or riding a bike. I can't do anything about what that truck driver did, but I can be aware of similar dangers, and avoid them.
Old 07-08-18, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Just riding a bike increases the likelihood on an injury -- even in a closed environment. Does that mean you should avoid cycling altogether? Avoidance is not always a rational alternative.
Old 07-08-18, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
One should always use common sense, whether biking or driving. That can often allow one to avoid situations such as this.
Old 07-08-18, 10:41 PM

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecat
None the less, bicyclist seen or not, the truck driver should have his license revoked and be confined to rickshaws for the rest of his working days. Pedaling happily away, he will not pose a danger to anyone anymore, ever.
More like she should go back to the playpen and ride a tricycle.
Clasical case of CGOAB. Clueless girl on a bike. The truck was there FIRST and clearly slowing down while the girl was speeding up. WTF
Only thing on her mind was weeeee I'm going to pass this truck.
Sorry biased bike advocates, the BL doesn't give you a free pass to anything.
I am now in Seaside Oregon, on tour 2100 miles. Dancing with trucks the whole way. I rode the Trans Canada freeway from Hope to the Port Mann Bridge, ignoring the stupid no bikes law and stupid helmet law at the same time. LOL

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-08-18 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-08-18, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53

More like she should go back to the playpen and ride a tricycle.

Clasical case of CGOAB. Clueless girl on a bike. The truck was there FIRST and clearly slowing down while the girl was speeding up. WTF

Only thing on her mind was weeeee I'm going to pass this truck.

Sorry biased bike advocates, the BL doesn't give you a free pass to anything.

I am now in Seaside Oregon, on tour 2100 miles. Dancing with trucks the whole way. I rode the Trans Canada freeway from Hope to the Portmann Bridge, ignoring the stupid no bikes law and stupid helmet law at the same time. LOL
Incorrect. Select highest quality and full screen. The tanker driver had not signaled his intent to turn until after the cyclist was well past the rear of the truck and nearly at the cab (beyond the point for her to see his signal).

He then turns across her path and continues to turn into bike as she struggles to drag away from his turn. The turn signal on the truck was not even engaged until the cyclists had already reached the driveway, and before his turn began.

Clearly a Bogart move by the truck driver. Score one to the cyclist thanks to quality video.
Old 07-09-18, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
I also got 9 flashing lights indicating my intentions but noooooooooo, people just walk off the curb or dive right in from clear astern.

I have a visibility advantage over that tanker though as my bus onliy swivels in the middle allowing me a clear view of my rear axle at all times, while the double tanker rig swivels in two places creating a huge blind spot for the driver. Lousey vid resolution, can anyone tell if there's a convex lense on bottom of his right side mirror?

Lousey turn set up too. Could have easily made that turn w/o dragging rear wheels over curb.
That video has an edit at some point in incident. I'd like to see missing footage.
The only flashing turn signals are on the rear of second tank trailer. None along the side or at rear of first trailer. The MVA needs to be amended on this if legal.
The entire footage, in high def. There are three GTFOOMW lights on each side, two on the rear tanker, one on the cab. The operator has a convex mirror. The visibility of a double tanker going straight is a non issue. The operator drags his wheels over the curb, and a bicycle.

Operators who drive like that deserve to lose their CDL.

-mr. bill
Old 07-09-18, 06:59 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Shall we make up our own rules as we go along? The only reason cyclist can ride on the roads is because of right-of-way laws.Fortunately for the cyclist, the courts rule on the laws not on popular opinion. You could stay home and crawl under your bed. Really?
You certainly read a lot into my post that wasn't there. It's called defensive riding. The truck was moving more slowly than the other vehicles on the road and was crowding the right. It was telegraphing a potential right hook. That would have been enough to keep me from entering that danger zone, or at least have been on high alert to bail soon enough not to get my bike crushed. Here's another thing that we should all consider. Bicyclists in a bicycle lane that runs parallel to the main road are often not processed as traffic by motorists. We have a few such lanes in this area. Even as a bicyclist I have to purposefully program myself to be on the lookout for bicyclists. It does not come as naturally as checking when moving from one motor vehicle lane into another. In this case we are throwing an oversized vehicle with blind spots into the mix. At least the rider has the consolation prize of knowing she was in the legal right! If you want to insist that she was riding smartly, then by all means do so!

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 07-09-18 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My number one rule is never be beside a long truck moving through an intersection, and I'll grant that the cyclist apparently had no clue as to what could happen.

However that sort of thing happens frequently enough that it points to negligence on the part of the truck driver. He absolutely has to be checking his side before and during that dangerous maneuver. Also, I can't see in the video that he's signalling until after she's already beside the truck.
Old 07-09-18, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cycling lane or not, it is still a traffic lane ! The truck driver FAILED to check his mirrors ( do his job) made an improper turn, crossing the cycling lane into what appears to be a gas station ! It also appears the truck driver passed the cyclist prior, so he should have saw her then also, and knew there was someone there !

[Inappropriate language removed by moderator]

The truck driver FAILED to check his mirrors prior to crossing a lane.....it’s that simple !
Old 07-09-18, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
good thing she got that left foot out / off when she did. wonder if she'd have been able to so quickly with "clipless"
Old 07-09-18, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Steeljag
Cycling lane or not, it is still a traffic lane ! The truck driver FAILED to check his mirrors ( do his job) made an improper turn, crossing the cycling lane into what appears to be a gas station ! It also appears the truck driver passed the cyclist prior, so he should have saw her then also, and knew there was someone there !

The truck driver FAILED to check his mirrors prior to crossing a lane.....it’s that simple !
Some people think cyclist shouldn't even be on the road -- including some cyclist here. That way motorists can focus more on their cell phones instead of paying attention to their driving.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-09-18 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:36 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
And as usual we're all getting upset over who is right when we are supposed to be analyzing and coming up with solutions.

These threads are usually over when it just becomes a fight over who is right and who insulted whom.
Old 07-09-18, 08:41 PM

Who is right or wrong has already been established by the rule of law. If there's anything we can learn for these examples is that knowing those laws and being consistent is what will keep us safe.

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-09-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Thanks for the link.

It is clear that the bicycle overtook the tanker from the rear, about a block before the gas station, and long before the tanker started signaling (or should have been signaling).

Watching this video, it is clear the cyclist hesitated before dismounting and stepping back.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1433265

Would she have realized her imminent danger had it been a longer single trailer rig? Another second hesitation, and she could have been knocked over, and under the truck.

Yes, the driver should have seen the cyclist, but this is also a place where the cyclist put herself in a dangerous place, and it is harder to catch someone approaching from the rear and passing on the right than remembering having just passed the person.

I can't say that I never pass on the right, but it is not good to hang next to a large truck without quickly completing the pass.
Old 07-09-18, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Yes, the driver should have seen the cyclist, but this is also a place where the cyclist put herself in a dangerous place, and it is harder to catch someone approaching from the rear and passing on the right than remembering having just passed the person.

I can't say that I never pass on the right, but it is not good to hang next to a large truck without quickly completing the pass.
The other thing to consider that there's been a huge PR campaign in this city promoting bike lanes as a panacea for safe cycling for several years. Imo inexperienced cyclists may be uncritically placing their trust in them, without considering the differences between a bike lane separated with physical barriers as opposed to one merely painted on the roadway.

Last edited by tungsten; 07-09-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
The other thing to consider that there's been a huge PR campaign in this city promoting bike lanes as a panacea for safe cycling for several years. Imo inexperienced cyclists may be uncritically placing their trust in them, without considering the differences between a bike lane separated with physical barriers as opposed to one merely painted on the roadway.
I am a cyclist that rides to the right, and don't care that much when I'm passed without being hit. Yes, close passes make me nervous, but it is OK if I survive the day.

I do very much prefer if they slow down a bit, so they don't pass me inches away at 60 MPH. Too much risk of error.

I do feel much more comfortable in bike lanes, but also understand the risk they bring with respect to turning vehicles, and passing on the right.

Lately I've had a lot more turning vehicles pull a few feet in front of me, then 100% stop to let me pass. In some cases, they could have safely cleared my lane before I approached (or I could have slowed slightly for them to turn).

Of course, not all drivers. Some will pull a few inches ahead and swing a right.

Nonetheless, I think it is good for both drivers as well as cyclists to understand "defensive riding/cycling", and what it takes to keep everyone around them safe.

This video would make an excellent training video for cyclists, truck drivers, and pickup owners towing trailers. You just can't stage this.
Old 07-10-18, 01:58 AM

The cyclist did nothing wrong. The only thing she is guilty of is her keen sense of her surroundings and quick response to an imminent threat. The lesson to be leaned here is no different than that of defensive driving: watch out for rogue drivers not paying attention to the road.
Old 07-10-18, 06:37 AM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
If we were to ask the cyclist if she had to do it all over again, what would she do differently, I wonder what she would say. That's my approach to any mishap.
Old 07-10-18, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If we were to ask the cyclist if she had to do it all over again, what would she do differently, I wonder what she would say. That's my approach to any mishap.
Same question to the truck driver ?
Old 07-10-18, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeljag

Same question to the truck driver ?
Nah, people on bikes are many, operators with CDL are few.

Totally makes sense to concentrate educational efforts on the many unlicensed amateurs and not the few licensed professionals.

That’s what we do with restaurants, right? The burden is on the many people eating, not on the few people cooking.

ps. NOBODY here has articulated what a person on a bicycle should do while getting right hooked by a combination vehicle.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 07-10-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
A very similar incident crushed a female cyclist to death, did it not?

This afterthought of gutter cycle lanes you have there are terrible. A cycle lane needs to be separate from the roads, as all they're doing is making cyclists complacent, giving them a false green light.

if you're gonna cycle on roads, you might as well just cycle on roads. Painting a stripe along the side is doing nothing for you, from what i can see.
Considering that the truck is turning into a driveway, how would a curbed cycle lane have stopped this accident? Pretend the cyclist was riding on the sidewalk - the same thing would have occurred as the truck crossed the cyclist's path.

I didn't see a turn signal when the cyclist was behind the truck. The only real takeaway is to not pass large trucks on the right in areas with driveways.
Old 07-10-18, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I see big rigs locally with these signs on the back:

Old 07-10-18, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You'll get killed riding next to large vehicles turning like that. This reminds me of the saying "if you can't see me, then I can't see you" that I saw on some trucks. I would need to see eye contact from the driver to continue. Otherwise, stay behind. You also need to look at the front wheel to see if its turning or not. Too many cars don't use a turn signal in the city here. I think trucks are better on that from what I've seen.
Old 07-10-18, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The cyclist did nothing wrong. The only thing she is guilty of is her keen sense of her surroundings and quick response to an imminent threat. The lesson to be leaned here is no different than that of defensive driving: watch out for rogue drivers not paying attention to the road.
The bicycle rider did nothing "legally" wrong, but IMO she was very wrong to hang out by the passenger door of the big rig.

Every vehicle has blind spots where mirrors can't see, she might very well have been in one. I do agree the truck driver should of remembered passing her earlier.

That is absolutely the worst spot to be especially on something as small as a bicycle.

Did anyone else notice that she swerved over the line closer to the truck at one point?
Old 07-10-18, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
It's crazy those big trucks are allowed into urban areas.
Maybe the gas stations could be refilled via 1 gallon bottles carried by bicycles instead?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.