Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Land Run 100

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-18, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by jayhawkpanic
Land run 2018 was completely epic. Perfect weather, fast gravel, and great company. Crazy hills in the last 30 miles though. My goal was to beat the sun and I did it. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
+1000 This year was amazing.
Old 03-24-18, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I watched a recap video from the event. It looked epic to say the least. Of love to do it someday!
Old 03-26-18, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
That is so not true.
Um ok?
Old 03-27-18, 08:13 AM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
If you want to know how brutal was the race yesterday.. You better check what happened to Kae Take****a of panaracer gravel team. Riding in circles for 30mins just only 2 blocks away to the finish line.

https://m.facebook.com/bicyclexchang...171717/?type=3

and aside from that, me as a witnessed right after the grassy single track part heading to Guthrie, a guy fell straight to a 20ft ditch. Legs and arms are broken. And it seems that he also suffered a broken ribs. Not really a good day to race.
Am I the only one here looking at a picture of a woman on a bike with no hat, partially exposed legs and arms, and having a hard time believing she is “tough” for dealing with hypothermia rather than stupid or il-prepared?
Old 03-27-18, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Am I the only one here looking at a picture of a woman on a bike with no hat, partially exposed legs and arms, and having a hard time believing she is “tough” for dealing with hypothermia rather than stupid or il-prepared?

hope these people don't try Iditarod.
Old 03-27-18, 10:38 AM

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by Metieval

hope these people don't try Iditarod.
Seriously lol.

"Hey, want to do an all day bike ride in cold weather and freezing rain where people regularly get hypothermia and fall off their bikes in the mud?"

"Sure!!"

"Great. See you in March. Bring a hat."

"Nah, don't need it. I'm extra tuff."
Old 03-27-18, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I'm not sure where the humor is in making fun of a rider in competition who made mistakes in clothing or nutrition or possibly had some other medical issue we are not privy too that caused her to suffer the physical ailments described. I would hope your posts are coming from a place of concern, just expressed poorly, and not some sort of twisted satisfaction in mocking the suffering of another? Especially someone who does not deserve it. Early onset hypothermia often accompanies confusion and lapses in mental judgement. Especially when competing, it's very difficult to stop riding to wait for a SAG or passerby to pick you up. Pedaling hard is the only way to create heat that feels like it will keep you ok and moving forward to the finish.

It's easy to make clothing mistakes in the spring. Things that work at high solo-riding pace may not work at a more strenuous racing pace, or things may happen on course as the weather changes. One's clothes may be warm when wet but may start to have issues when they're both wet and muddy, wind may pick up, any number of other things can happen.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider any additional posts in this thread if you don't have anything to contribute?
Old 03-27-18, 11:53 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
I'm sitting in my recliner thinking "she is one heck of a rider, stronger than I ever was or will be." No way I'm going to call her "stupid or il-prepared."
Old 03-27-18, 12:23 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Old 03-27-18, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts

Anyway, as always; gravel cyclist provides a little balance for these two 2017 experiences: The 2017 Land Run 100 Experience - Stillwater, Oklahoma - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

The 7 Stages of DNF: Land Run 100 by Adrienne Taren - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

One of the points that a lot of people miss since few ride in such weather regularly is that the difference between cold rain at 40 degree air temp is significantly warmer than cold rain at 35 degrees air temp. I had thought it was going to be the same "cold" like going from 50-45-40 is pretty incremental and about the same feeling. Going from 40-35 and then down to 33 was a huge difference. I have a bunch of clothes that work great when it's 40 and raining and also well for the first hour when it's 33-35 and raining but after that they fail miserably and I came very close to getting in serious trouble because I wasn't aware of this.

So we've got a poster, who doesn't ride in such weather or conditions mocking someone who did and had some issues. Seems kinda silly ya know?

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 03-27-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I'm not sure where the humor is in making fun of a rider in competition who made mistakes in clothing or nutrition or possibly had some other medical issue we are not privy too that caused her to suffer the physical ailments described. I would hope your posts are coming from a place of concern, just expressed poorly, and not some sort of twisted satisfaction in mocking the suffering of another? Especially someone who does not deserve it. Early onset hypothermia often accompanies confusion and lapses in mental judgement. Especially when competing, it's very difficult to stop riding to wait for a SAG or passerby to pick you up. Pedaling hard is the only way to create heat that feels like it will keep you ok and moving forward to the finish.

It's easy to make clothing mistakes in the spring. Things that work at high solo-riding pace may not work at a more strenuous racing pace, or things may happen on course as the weather changes. One's clothes may be warm when wet but may start to have issues when they're both wet and muddy, wind may pick up, any number of other things can happen.

Perhaps it's time to reconsider any additional posts in this thread if you don't have anything to contribute?
I'm not really seeing how an experienced cyclist choosing to not wear a hat in hypothermia weather is a "mistake in clothing." I would say it was a deliberate decision to neglect a hat, likely for reasons relating to "maximum tuffness."

Having visible butt crack with see through lycra is a "clothing mistake." So are socks the wrong length. Not wearing a hat when it's 30 and you're out all day is just silly.

edit: And why would you presume I have no experience riding in those conditions?

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 03-27-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 04:06 PM

We all have the weather app, it's called 2018 (2017) hell the weather app was years ago!

Cold + wet = hypothermia. It's something most outdoors people learn early on.

As a year round (outside) rider, I'd say that I am pretty in tune with weather conditions. I am also aware as are most of us that cyclocross riders are on the "crazy" side. they will wear a summer kit and race in 30 degree weather for an hour. That's fine it's an hour long race. To wear that kit for a 100 mile gravel race.... Is just being Ill-prepared.

Shall we talk about the mentality of gravel riders, and how close that is to cyclocross riders?

no need for that talk, they are "extra tuff" Don't like the stigma, then quit being the stigma.

Last edited by Metieval; 03-27-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-27-18, 04:11 PM

Seriously lol.

"Hey, want to do an all day bike ride in cold weather and freezing rain where people regularly get hypothermia and fall off their bikes in the mud?"

"Sure!!"

"Great. See you in March. Bring a hat."

"Nah, don't need it. I'm extra tuff."
funny!
Old 03-27-18, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by therhodeo
Um ok?
I mean I live here and I don't see that mentality from anyone that I ride with. At least not in a serious way.
Old 03-27-18, 05:02 PM

I'm not really seeing how an experienced cyclist choosing to not wear a hat in hypothermia weather is a "mistake in clothing." I would say it was a deliberate decision to neglect a hat, likely for reasons relating to "maximum tuffness."

Having visible butt crack with see through lycra is a "clothing mistake." So are socks the wrong length. Not wearing a hat when it's 30 and you're out all day is just silly.

edit: And why would you presume I have no experience riding in those conditions?
You guys have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. That year's Land Run was so brutal because every weather app on the planet had an almost ZERO percent chance of weather. The Friday before the race it was sunny and in the 70s. By early early morning an unexpected cold front came in and dropped the temp to the 40s and rain. Most of the out of towners didn't even bring cold gear. Even the hardest locals I know dropped out because the weather was supposed to get better throughout the day and it never did. The 16% finisher rate is a testament to how the weather took everyone off guard. But anyway, keep talking trash about people you don't know, at an event you don't know, and about circumstances you obviously don't know.
Old 03-27-18, 05:07 PM

You guys have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. That year's Land Run was so brutal because every weather app on the planet had an almost ZERO percent chance of weather. The Friday before the race it was sunny and in the 70s. By early early morning an unexpected cold front came in and dropped the temp to the 40s and rain. Most of the out of towners didn't even bring cold gear. Even the hardest locals I know dropped out because the weather was supposed to get better throughout the day and it never did. The 16% finisher rate is a testament to how the weather took everyone off guard. But anyway, keep talking trash about people you don't know, at an event you don't know, and about circumstances you obviously don't know.
You seem angry.

Also, how is it that your neighborhood has the possibility of a "ZERO percent chance of weather?"

But grammar aside...who in their right mind would assume that March in the midwest is going to be 70 and sunny, regardless of weather forecast? Hell, it can be 35 and rainy and 70 and sunny in the same damn day here. I stand by my il-prepared statement. I think it was more than warranted.

I'm thinking all of this is something geographically related. Something in the water maybe. I suggest everyone relax lol
Old 03-27-18, 05:09 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
And why would you presume I have no experience riding in those conditions?
Your posts all over the forum seem to indicate you are a novice/inexperienced rider so it wasn't a completely unfounded presumption on his part. Presuming to comment negatively about this accomplished rider's butt crack and more is what should be embarrassing. JMO.
Old 03-27-18, 05:15 PM

You seem angry.

Also, how is it that your neighborhood has the possibility of a "ZERO percent chance of weather?"

But grammar aside...who in their right mind would assume that March in the midwest is going to be 70 and sunny, regardless of weather forecast? Hell, it can be 35 and rainy and 70 and sunny in the same damn day here. I stand by my il-prepared statement. I think it was more than warranted.

I'm thinking all of this is something geographically related. Something in the water maybe. I suggest everyone relax lol
I am a little peeved, yeah. Because you two are spouting off about crap you are completely ignorant about and blaming individual people for being ill-prepared when HUNDREDS of people were ill-prepared, it was an anomaly. But so it goes, I didn't expect you to actually listen. You clearly are the best and most prepared cyclist on the planet, if only everyone would consult their plans with you first *sigh*
Old 03-27-18, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm sitting in my recliner thinking "she is one heck of a rider, stronger than I ever was or will be." No way I'm going to call her "stupid or il-prepared."
Being a strong rider, and being stupid are not mutually exclusive qualities in a person. Hell, one might be a pre-requisite of the other in certain circumstances.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Your posts all over the forum seem to indicate you are a novice/inexperienced rider so it wasn't a completely unfounded presumption on his part. Presuming to comment negatively about this accomplished rider's butt crack and more is what should be embarrassing. JMO.
Never said anything negative about her butt at all. Was simply illustrating what a real mistake in clothing would be.

And I've no interest in getting into a biking cred pissing contest with you. You can do that on your own.
Old 03-27-18, 05:22 PM

I am a little peeved, yeah. Because you two are spouting off about crap you are completely ignorant about and blaming individual people for being ill-prepared when HUNDREDS of people were ill-prepared, it was an anomaly. But so it goes, I didn't expect you to actually listen. You clearly are the best and most prepared cyclist on the planet, if only everyone would consult their plans with you first *sigh*
Well, lets calm down and perhaps talk about what might lead to hundreds of people being so il-prepared.

Was it maybe, just maybe, a culture of trying to be tougher than the next guy? I mean, linemen in the NFL don't go without sleeves in the middle of winter because it's more comfortable. They do it because they don't want to be perceived as weak.

So sure...when there's hundreds of people that decide to go biking in 35 degree rain without a hat or pants, sure I think a logical question might be something along the lines of: "WTF happened to your pants?" At least it's as relevant a line of thinking as "who knew freezing rain could be so cold?"

And no, I'm not perfect. I've made dozens, heck hundreds of clothing mistakes. But that's what they are/were: mistakes. Leaving the house too fast without a hat, or leaving a jacket because I thought it was warmer than it really was WAS a mistake. Something that happens a minority of the time. When everyone does it, it's a culture thing.
Old 03-27-18, 05:23 PM

Well, lets calm down and perhaps talk about what might lead to hundreds of people being so il-prepared.

Was it maybe, just maybe, a culture of trying to be tougher than the next guy? I mean, linemen in the NFL don't go without sleeves in the middle of winter because it's more comfortable. They do it because they don't want to be perceived as weak.

So sure...when there's hundreds of people that decide to go biking in 35 degree rain without a hat or pants, sure I think a logical question might be something along the lines of: "WTF happened to your pants?" At least it's as relevant a line of thinking as "who knew freezing rain could be so cold?"
omg we are so done here.
Old 03-27-18, 05:44 PM

cold fronts are known way in advance, you might not know the hour but you know they are coming! how is a front unexpected....

Unexpected because you had "hoped" that it would hold off for you?

Number one rule in outdoor sports, be PREPARED! unless your a gravel cyclist.... the fact that it caught so many off guard stands to reason that yeah gravel cyclist have a mental block out "tuffness". No your not a gravel cyclist, your human.

Hell it can be 90 + in the midwest and drop to 60 in a Thunderstorm, within an hour.

Almost like MTB'ers pushing their bikes out... Flat tire? yeah have a tube? NO didn't expect a flat. IT was totally unexpected! Uhhh DUH!
Old 03-27-18, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Metieval
cold fronts are known way in advance, you might not know the hour but you know they are coming! how is a front unexpected....

Unexpected because you had "hoped" that it would hold off for you?

Number one rule in outdoor sports, be PREPARED! unless your a gravel cyclist.... the fact that it caught so many off guard stands to reason that yeah gravel cyclist have a mental block out "tuffness". No your not a gravel cyclist, your human.

Hell it can be 90 + in the midwest and drop to 60 in a Thunderstorm, within an hour.

Almost like MTB'ers pushing their bikes out... Flat tire? yeah have a tube? NO didn't expect a flat. IT was totally unexpected! Uhhh DUH!
You know...from reading the writeup linked earlier, it seems the weather didn't even change.

Started out rainy and cold at the crack of dawn. At the start of the race - rainy and cold. During the race? Rainy and cold...

But even if it was 50 and sunny...not taking a hat and an extra layer with you on a 100 mile unsupported ride that has a history of becoming a muddy disaster seems just....well I don't want to make the sensitive in here angry.

But heck...I bring 2 different weight gloves with my on COMMUTES in the winter, lol
Old 03-27-18, 05:56 PM

But heck...I bring 2 different weight gloves with my on COMMUTES in the winter, lol
cause we're not "tuff"... "tuff" guys ride gloveless.

Bottom line, it all comes from a cyclocross mentality. sub freezing temps and they race in shorts, and no jacket. If you wear more than that you're a p***y etc....

yet we are supposedly the insensitive guys?
Old 03-27-18, 06:04 PM

I do agree with the race waiver though. Not responsible for how you choose to dress, etc... LOL

It fits in with my other philosophy that we need to remove warning labels, delete airbags, and skip the seat belts. It's time we actually let Darwin weed the gene pool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.