Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Going to purchase a new road bike. Advice & opinions welcomed!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Going to purchase a new road bike. Advice & opinions welcomed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
c-dale is a great deal
Old 06-20-13, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
advice I've heard and heeded: don't rush it, ride before you buy and don't get emotionally attached to any one bike in particular, as in be prepared to walk and think about it. you want to avoid buyers remorse which occurs more often than we like. good luck and enjoy the hunt!
Old 06-20-13, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcracin
Found a local deal on a 2011 CAAD 10 105 for $850. Going to see it tonight!
That's a great deal and bike! How did it go, did you end up buying it?
Old 06-24-13, 07:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNX1024
That's a great deal and bike! How did it go, did you end up buying it?
I ended up drinking a lot more than I should that night, missed the meeting time, and the guy sold the bike the next morning. I'm really pissed I missed that deal. I'm on the hunt for another good deal.
Old 06-24-13, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How tall are you just out of curiosity?
Old 06-24-13, 02:15 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ended up drinking a lot more than I should that night, missed the meeting time, and the guy sold the bike the next morning. I'm really pissed I missed that deal. I'm on the hunt for another good deal.
Mental note: No benders prior to cool bike sale.
Old 06-24-13, 02:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
How tall are you just out of curiosity?
5'6". I'm thinking I need to be on a 52 or 54 bike. It really seems to be coming down to preference, but I have no preference since I have no experience. I just don't know what to look for when I go out on a test ride for a road bike. To top it off, I won't even be fitted properly when I leave on a road bike. I'm leaning more toward the 52 because it's sort of a middle ground as opposed to going with the max largest frame of 54.
Old 06-24-13, 02:17 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
5'6". I'm thinking I need to be on a 52 or 54 bike. It really seems to be coming down to preference, but I have no preference since I have no experience. I just don't know what to look for when I go out on a test ride for a road bike. To top it off, I won't even be fitted properly when I leave on a road bike. I'm leaning more toward the 52 because it's sort of a middle ground as opposed to going with the max largest frame of 54.
Easier to fit a small bike bigger than vice versa, IMHO.
Old 06-24-13, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Easier to fit a small bike bigger than vice versa, IMHO.
That's currently where I'm at now. I'm certainly leaning towards the 52. If I find that I need bigger or if I become more competitive in a few years, I'll shop again.
Old 06-24-13, 02:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's currently where I'm at now. I'm certainly leaning towards the 52. If I find that I need bigger or if I become more competitive in a few years, I'll shop again.
54 might be pushing it for you unless you have a rather large in seam(not sure if I'm wording it right). I'm 5' 8" and I ride a 51 on a Jamis. Tried a 54 Cervelo S2 and that was almost at my limit.
Old 06-24-13, 03:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54 might be pushing it for you unless you have a rather large in seam(not sure if I'm wording it right). I'm 5' 8" and I ride a 51 on a Jamis. Tried a 54 Cervelo S2 and that was almost at my limit.
I believe my inseam is 31. That's a very rough measurement.
Old 06-24-13, 03:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried sending you a PM, but I need 50 posts to do so. I haven't heard of Jamis until your post.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/3884727442.html

That look like a good deal?
Old 06-25-13, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried sending you a PM, but I need 50 posts to do so. I haven't heard of Jamis until your post.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/3884727442.html

That look like a good deal?
Not sure if you noticed that I've sent you a PM concerning that bike. Anyway, how did this deal go?
Old 06-27-13, 07:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if you noticed that I've sent you a PM concerning that bike. Anyway, how did this deal go?
Hey, I did get the PM. I think that guy is a dealer though. I think I'm mentally stuck on a CAAD 10. Sucks that I like expensive things. I'm out of town on training. I'll look more when I return over the weekend. Thanks!
Old 06-27-13, 10:02 AM
Love me a nice Jamis...

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura Race, 2011 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A comparable bike to the caad you're looking at is the Jamis ventura race, I have the 2009 version of it and love that bike...new you can probably get it for a little less money than the caad...but if that 2011 is available at $850, that is a steal for a bike with 105 on it!
Old 06-27-13, 12:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I did get the PM. I think that guy is a dealer though. I think I'm mentally stuck on a CAAD 10. Sucks that I like expensive things. I'm out of town on training. I'll look more when I return over the weekend. Thanks!
Like what JamisJeff said, the Ventura Race is definitely a comparable bike to the CAAD 10. You don't have to worry about the CAAD 10 being better. The difference between the two is that the CAAD 10 is for a more aggressive position, where as the Ventura Race provides a more upright and relaxed position.
Old 06-27-13, 09:48 PM
That guy over there

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Bianchi Sempre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember, don't forget to get something you want to ride and do give yourself some time to think about all your options.
Go to different shops, pick some (within budget) you think look neat, then ride it to make sure it is comfortable and have the shop adjust it, accordingly. It's a lot of dough - so they should be nice enough/welcoming enough for you not to feel bad about taking their time, especially if they want your sale.

I was extremely biased toward a Specialized Tarmac and somehow ended up with a Bianchi Sempre for a very, very, good price after a couple months of waiting and mulling it over. I dig it. Don't worry so much about "better" or comparison between bikes too, in the end, you might just end up changing everything out. Also, your body will adjust to the various geometries.

ok. I'm done.
Old 07-01-13, 04:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still shopping around and taking my time. A 54 is now out of the question. It's too big. Standover isn't too good neither is my reach. My elbows are too straight. I tried a 50 and it seemed comfortable. Now to try a 52.

Latest craigslist deal is a 2012 caad10 105 with fulcrum 3 wheels. He's asking $1400. I might be able to push lower, but even at 12-1300, it's still expensive.
Old 07-01-13, 06:25 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still shopping around and taking my time. A 54 is now out of the question. It's too big. Standover isn't too good neither is my reach. My elbows are too straight. I tried a 50 and it seemed comfortable. Now to try a 52.

Latest craigslist deal is a 2012 caad10 105 with fulcrum 3 wheels. He's asking $1400. I might be able to push lower, but even at 12-1300, it's still expensive.
Which is why, IMHO, when you are in this price bracket, go to a store. Get a new bike with a warranty even if it has a step down in components.
Old 07-01-13, 06:44 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Which is why, IMHO, when you are in this price bracket, go to a store. Get a new bike with a warranty even if it has a step down in components.
+1 A short time ago, when Tiagra wasn't 10-speed, you could more easily argue that the equipment drop-off was more significant once you went under 105, but that's not the case now.
Old 07-01-13, 06:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the big deal about warranty? How often does it really come in handy? Not trying to be rude and would like a genuine answer.

At $1200 for a CAAD 10 105 with Fulcrum 3's, I don't think that's bad at all. The wheels seem to be pretty expensive. From my searching around, wheels are about the first thing people upgrade on road bikes when they can afford to.

Last edited by rcracin; 07-01-13 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 06:56 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's the big deal about warranty? How often does it really come in handy?

At $1200 for a CAAD 10 105 with Fulcrum 3's, I don't think that's bad at all. The wheels seem to be pretty expensive. From my searching around, wheels are about the first thing people upgrade on road bikes when they can afford to.
Warranties are like insurance - if you don't have them, it sure does suck when something unexpected happens. When you need it and you have a warranty, you thank yourself for going that route.

Just a word of caution.
Old 07-01-13, 07:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RT
Warranties are like insurance - if you don't have them, it sure does suck when something unexpected happens. When you need it and you have a warranty, you thank yourself for going that route.

Just a word of caution.
I get it. I've always fixed everything myself though. Never felt like dealing with warranty and the nonsense companies put you through. Unless it's a lemon or some major manufacturing defect, most products work as they're supposed to. So if I'm buying a used bike that's been used for a few hundred miles and everything is working perfectly, it's likely not a lemon.

I'm a hardass when it comes to warranty.
Old 07-01-13, 07:10 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I get it. I've always fixed everything myself though. Never felt like dealing with warranty and the nonsense companies put you through. Unless it's a lemon or some major manufacturing defect, most products work as they're supposed to. So if I'm buying a used bike that's been used for a few hundred miles and everything is working perfectly, it's likely not a lemon.

I'm a hardass when it comes to warranty.
It is less about the components and more about the frame, or things you can't fix with a wrench. When you are talking carbon, I stay away from CL and eBay. Some have perfectly good luck with these, but I am not a risk-taker.

Whatever you do, good luck, it is all personal preference :-)
Old 07-01-13, 07:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree on that. I'd be weary of a used carbon bike unless it was someone I know who has had the bike since new.

Aluminium on the other hand, I can weld. Not sure if that's a good idea though LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.