Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your take on roundabouts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's your take on roundabouts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-17, 04:46 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Overall, roundabouts are good for cyclists. They reduce crossflow at intersections, sparing us the risk of left crosses and stop sign burners.

Also, depending on the details, slow the speed through the intersections by eliminating straight line flow.
I would agree they are better at multi-lane 4-way stops. Those are the scariest things in the world. But it's absolutely terrifying when I'm in a circle, and I see someone heading right at me when I'm turning left. It's too dangerous to stop in the circle with cars already in it, so you basically have to pray the guy screaming toward you actually sees you and stops.
Old 09-07-17, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like them. They're more efficient and generally safer than intersections. But sadly, much like the metric system and universal healthcare, 'Mericans will never embrace an obviously superior system.
Old 09-07-17, 04:48 PM

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by PepeM
People were real pushy tonight, on my a** everywhere.

I was just minutes from my destination, car in front, one riding me from behind.

This complex has giant water fountain round de rounds.

I took the left side [done many times].

What i didn't know was car in front was making a left circle behind the fountain where i couldn't see him.

I had a split second to hit a curb head on with a concrete mounted bench or bang off the car.

I hit the brakes hard at 30 mph but didnt slow much.

*** Fortunately the car broke my fall .....[lol]

First to hit was front wheel, somehow went airbourne and landed [hard] on my left hip facing backward.

Some guy getting off work that saw it gave me a ride home.

Left hood was out of whack, stem needed adjusting, front wheel needs a slight true.

Other than that i seem okay.

Walking tomorrow may not work but beats the E-room.

Carbon bikes can take a licking but i don't want to do that again.

Thats the 4th time in my life. I'm not getting any younger.
Dang man, that sucks!
Old 09-07-17, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3382 Post(s)
Liked 5,554 Times in 2,880 Posts
From the excellent book "Traffic" by Tom Vanderbilt: https://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive.../dp/0307277194
Roundabouts:
- Move more traffic than a traffic light.
- Have a fraction of the accidents.
- Have an even smaller fraction of serious injuries/fatalities.

An article on the topic by the author: American drivers should learn to love the roundabout.
Old 09-07-17, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
in my opinion they rely on cooperation. yes, some ppl don't want to cooperate they just want to dominate, while others are intimidated, hope for courtesy & fail to assert themselves properly. for example some ppl will stop instead of merge. some ppl will not cooperate & just think they should take the rotary to themselves. frankly those ppl are best left alone, just let them blast thru because they are a real danger. taking a bike thru a rotary is tricky but it can be done but you have to be highly visible with strobes & bright clothing. you also can't wait for traffic to stop for you, it's all about cooperating & merging & being assertive enough. it's still tough tho because there are so many variables it's hard t always have 100% accurate judgement, especially jacked on adrenaline. there has to be a level of forgiveness as well. hand signals help. and situational awareness

a rotary in a regular 30 mile loop I do. fortunately I don't have to ride thru much of it, just a little bit on one side, then I'm outta there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgH8fxC_x3Y

same rotary w cam facing the rear, skip to 1:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDKlczCAHwU&t=15s
Well said. That's the problem, they rely on cooperation, and people all doing the right thing. But of course that cannot happen, as everyone's personality is different. That's why I also dislike them while in my own car. I usually end up behind someone too timid to merge into the roundabout, which ends up backing up the traffic more than it would with a different method of traffic control. This problem will persist until Americans are used to driving in them, which will take decades...
Old 09-07-17, 04:54 PM
Wildcat

Bikes: Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roudabout City, USA

Apparently, Carmel, IN has over 100 roundabouts. I can't post a URL yet, but if you Google "Carmel Roundabouts Citylab" and read the story, the most interesting thing besides the accident reduction is that the city saves $5k per year/per intersection in electricity costs. Personally i like roundabouts because I don't have to wait for a light and cars & bikes are more or less going about the same speed through them.
Old 09-07-17, 04:54 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Well said. That's the problem, they rely on cooperation, and people all doing the right thing. But of course that cannot happen, as everyone's personality is different. That's why I also dislike them while in my own car. I usually end up behind someone too timid to merge into the roundabout, which ends up backing up the traffic more than it would with a different method of traffic control. This problem will persist until Americans are used to driving in them, which will take decades...
Maybe not as long as one might think. We're apparently in the process of becoming GREAT again and I have faith that this will just be part of the general amelioration to come.
Old 09-07-17, 04:56 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
People were real pushy tonight, on my a** everywhere.

I was just minutes from my destination, car in front, one riding me from behind.

This complex has giant water fountain round de rounds.

I took the left side [done many times].

What i didn't know was car in front was making a left circle behind the fountain where i couldn't see him.

I had a split second to hit a curb head on with a concrete mounted bench or bang off the car.

I hit the brakes hard at 30 mph but didnt slow much.

*** Fortunately the car broke my fall .....[lol]

First to hit was front wheel, somehow went airbourne and landed [hard] on my left hip facing backward.

Some guy getting off work that saw it gave me a ride home.

Left hood was out of whack, stem needed adjusting, front wheel needs a slight true.

Other than that i seem okay.

Walking tomorrow may not work but beats the E-room.

Carbon bikes can take a licking but i don't want to do that again.

Thats the 4th time in my life. I'm not getting any younger.

Wow--sorry this happened to you. Falling on your hip is spooky; I hope you feel well tomorrow.
Old 09-07-17, 05:02 PM

This problem will persist until Americans are used to driving in them, which will take decades...

The city of Superior replaced a traffic light with a roundabout at a busy T-intersection a few years ago.
There were some clueless drivers initially, but after a year I rarely saw any issues.
Old 09-07-17, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Roundabouts are the future of road cycling.
Old 09-07-17, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 575 Posts
They've installed a few here in the last decade and they generally work pretty well. I take the lane throughout (waiting in line to enter as necessary) and can move close enough to traffic speed that they're no problem to negotiate. I do ride with a flashing front light and I find that pretty much eliminates people pulling out in front of me. Overall, I like them and they do move traffic a lot better than it had moved at those spots.

They're building a new one at an intersection that also includes the start of a rail trail the runs about 20 miles down to the gulf. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate that.
Old 09-07-17, 07:01 PM

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
I find that people that hit them aggressively are my friends, it's predictable what they will do. People that are tentative and afraid to enter them make traveling through one very unpredictable and unsafe.
Agreed!!
Old 09-07-17, 10:53 PM
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
In July, we got a roundabout a few blocks from my house. I thought it would be awful, but I love it! It's made my short (bike) commute faster and easier, as it eliminates an awkward merge or significant wait to cross a moderately busy street.

The roundabout is a single lane, and taking the lane is not a problem (I can go faster than the cars can). The only issues I've had are with what I call the "squeeze", where a car attempts to overtake me where the lane narrows at the entrance to the roundabout, or entering vehicles failing to yield. The second issue has not been much of a problem, since the lane is wide enough that I can veer left to avoid being hit while the vehicle enters. On one occasion, the non-yielding vehicle tried to pass on the right and I got stuck in the roundabout.

I have to admit that I'm kind of a roundabout jerk...sometimes, when there's very little traffic, I just ride around a few times to see how much speed I can pick up without crashing. Somebody (not me) made it a Strava segment.
Old 09-07-17, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Ride in France. Highest number of roundabouts in the world. First time we rode there, my wife found ythem tough to handle, but she soon got used to it.
Old 09-07-17, 11:27 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Ride in France. Highest number of roundabouts in the world. First time we rode there, my wife found ythem tough to handle, but she soon got used to it.
I always thought England was the roundabout capital. They also have massive roundabouts with 8 or 10 roads coming in or out. I still remember a drive to Leeds half asleep after my flight to London and seeing many of these "spiders" on the way.

Decoding them was hard enough but they were especially challenging when I'd take them counter-clockwise. (English drivers are extremely skilled about dealing with surprises)

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-08-17, 01:24 AM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I love roundabouts. Riding and driving through them. I haven't had any issues riding through them so far.
Old 09-08-17, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bigger the intersection, the more intimidating it's going to be, whether traffic is controlled by signal lights or geometry. The difference with roundabouts is that they are designed so everyone can just keep moving. I would much rather deal with a traffic circle than try to make my way across two or three lanes of traffic to get into a left turn lane, or make a left turn off a well-traveled county road or rural highway without a traffic light.
The stuff about how wrong they are because Americans don't know how to use them is insulting to humanity. Sure, many are ill-prepared and hesitant (or aggressive) when they get to them, but if there are so many incompetent ignoramuses out there, it's only because they're accommodated. Why anyone would want to keep things that way is beyond me. It doesn't take decades for anyone to get used to a traffic pattern. Anyone who cant or won't learn to deal with something so simple shouldn't be allowed to drive.
Old 09-08-17, 05:39 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
It's extremely nerve-wracking to make a left through a roundabout, with cars hurtling toward the circle from the right. I just pray these people actually see me in the circle, and stop in time. T.
Maybe this is the issue. Most roundabouts I've seen you're not supposed to make lefts into roundabouts, unless you're in the UK? They're unidirectional, going counter-clockwise. Are there clockwise moving roundabouts in the US?
Old 09-08-17, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by wipekitty
I have to admit that I'm kind of a roundabout jerk...sometimes, when there's very little traffic, I just ride around a few times to see how much speed I can pick up without crashing.
I sometimes take an extra lap with my motorcycle just for fun.
Old 09-08-17, 07:54 AM
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't see Pepe at his desk this morning.

I hope he's doing ok.
Old 09-08-17, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Old 09-08-17, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jon c.
They're building a new one at an intersection that also includes the start of a rail trail the runs about 20 miles down to the gulf. It will be interesting to see how they incorporate that.
Here is a local one at a 3-way intersection that includes access to a trailhead on the West side: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9287.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old 09-08-17, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 552 Posts
I don't have any roundabouts near my home but earlier this year, I rented a City bike in Paris and navigated many. Smaller ones were no big deal. Ones with multiple lanes and more than 4 connecting streets can get pretty hairy. The worst by far was the Arc De Triomphe roundabout. After navigating that and get honked at by a few dozen cars, I think maybe bicycles aren't supposed to be there. I definitely will avoid that one in the future.

Old 09-08-17, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
worst by far was the Arc De Triomphe roundabout. After navigating that and get honked at by a few dozen cars, I think maybe bicycles aren't supposed to be there. I definitely will avoid that one in the future
maybe on a quiet Sunday morning?
Old 09-08-17, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I don't see Pepe at his desk this morning.

I hope he's doing ok.
Still here. Getting ready for lunch, erm I mean for my recovery meal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.