Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

100 km ride to work. is it doable?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

100 km ride to work. is it doable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 12:26 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
you work at something like the fire department? so you sleep & eat where you work, and only ride there once a week?
Old 02-04-18, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18433 Post(s)
Liked 4,549 Times in 3,380 Posts
Actually, thinking back, I hit a low in my cycling about 5 years ago, when my bike spent months collecting dust between rides.

I started riding a bit more, but the "commute" between my house and Mom's house was about 16 miles (25 km). Hitting 2 of those in a day (32 mi/50 km) was about enough to knock me out.

I suppose I wasn't really dedicated to putting in the miles. But, it took a while to get used to that short trip between houses.

With a few longer rides, now I do 20 miles or so one-way (each way) without hardly thinking. Much longer rides still do take a bit of a toll.

So... some training will be necessary. And, while an optimum 32 miles commute might be done in 2 hours... expect it to be a while before that becomes practical. So, start with planning on 3 hour commutes.

A little "training" will help getting a person used to those distances.

One thing I found is that it is also useful to mix it up a bit. Try a few "century rides" (100 miles/160km) on your leisure tire. Or, even longer. Say 150 miles (240 km). After you get a few good long rides under your belt, those 32 mile rides will just seem to be a lot shorter.
Old 02-04-18, 11:30 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Logic

You just have to invest in some planning . you will need a high fueled diet first . you will have to set your bike up propperly i.e. a fool proof repair kit for any issues .

you will need to aero the F up in every way possible even aero back pack . you will need to keep clothes at your job maybe even bring a place to keep clothes shoes towels products to freshen up . you might want to invest in a clothes cleaning service near your job so you can always have fresh suits or pants .

you will need multiple sets of cycle clothes and rain gear that is also tight . you will need propper cycle shoes with covers or plastic bags . if you live where it snows well thats even harder some roads are very dangerous they might not plow them.

I doubt any ebike that would be praticle would last that long or be charged fast enough. Maybe a recumbent style could work better . it will take some real thoughts . you may even need multiple bikes so you can swap one out . you will have to get close to race quality parts semi aero wheels maybe even do the unthinkable and invest in a fairing system . i have seen a kick start thing for wheel covers.

I usually can do a mile in around two minutes at medium effort so you will have to do some math . i think your biggest challenge would be comfort and diet . your bike is going to have to be set up propper and you will have to put effort into fueling up .

i can get about 25 miles in an hour indoors so just think around 15 miles per hour if your lucky maybe you are super fit.

if your job is office work should be easy to do but not easy to sustain maybe your body will adapt maybe you could use that commute to train for races and rest the time you are not working.
Old 02-05-18, 02:57 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rain gear in the tropics? I never bothered.
Old 02-05-18, 04:37 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I occasionally cover that kinda mileage, but only by putting my bike on a train or bus.
Old 02-05-18, 08:43 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker
my dad commuted 100km a day for a year or two. back in 1973~. on a heavy all-steel bike, steel rims. Through Ontario winters too, sub zero and snow many days. After that he quit his job and opened a bikeshop 1km away from home, and started winning bike races. But he had the mentality for it, love and addiction which I did not inherit!
Says the guy with the 89 Battaglin, Lynskey R150, Kona Superjake, Devinci Marshall, Spec Fuse, Lynskey CooperCX and Trek Ebike.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-05-18, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,968 Times in 7,502 Posts
Originally Posted by rodtripoli
Ive cycled 30 km straight almost uphill majority of route without a problem though.
Barefoot in the snow?
Old 02-05-18, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 746 Posts
I didnt read all 4 pages so forgive me if my response parrots anyone else,

But as for me personally, -- i love cycling too much to do a commute like this unless it was a twice monthly stunt or something

What i am saying is that i really enjoy my long weekend group rides and my training for the occasional race --- a commute like that would completely destroy any joy i had in the activity after a while -- basically it would turn into a job

But if your up to it -- go for it
Old 02-05-18, 01:01 PM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
50 km each way or 100 km round trip is 30 miles each way or 60 miles round trip. That's a really long commute. At my current rate of 16 mi/h, it would take me ~ 1hr 53 min each way. That may even be optimistic depending on hills and how tired I am. So I would park and ride to reduce the distance a bit. If you're ok with leaving the car overnight, then you could split it up by drive in the morning and cycle back in the afternoon and the next morning.

Last edited by ptempel; 02-05-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-05-18, 01:06 PM

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think a lot of people have been hinting that a lot of it depends on your fitness. Chris Froome recently posted a ride on Strava where he averaged about 28 mph on a ride that was over 6 hours, and it was on hilly terrain. That is a mountain above the fitness level of the average rider, but still, there are plenty of guys that can hold 20-25mph for 50 km without any trouble at all.
Old 02-05-18, 01:35 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can I just point out that the Philippines has a tropical climate? What you advise, though well meant, may not apply in average daily temperatures of 28°C morning to 33°C afternoon temperatures.
Old 02-06-18, 10:03 AM

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you work at something like the fire department? so you sleep & eat where you work, and only ride there once a week?
How is it some people take what I say so far out of context? Or are you referring to someone else? I assume me, since your response was right after, but maybe you should quote or mention like @fietsbob to avoid confusion.

I have never once rode my bike to work. I have only pondered doing it just for the experience of doing it once. And yes, my idea since the commute is so long on top of my long shift, is that I would bike in the night before the first shift and stay at a nearby HOTEL each night (no, I do not work for a fire department, and I cannot sleep at work, I am a generation dispatcher for a large electric utility) and then bike home the last day of the workweek. I wouldn't want to blow a bunch of money staying at a downtown hotel for a 5-day work week, but luckily some of the stretches in my shift rotation are only 3 days...
Old 02-06-18, 10:17 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Can I just point out that the Philippines has a tropical climate? What you advise, though well meant, may not apply in average daily temperatures of 28°C morning to 33°C afternoon temperatures.
Sounds like the usual RAGBRAI weather to me. Iowa summer, ~100km per day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-06-18, 12:17 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
Go Multi Modal, Use Public Transit for most of it, connect to train/bus on bike.. Folding bikes FTW there..

Old 02-06-18, 07:37 PM
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 312 Posts
Lived car-free for 7 years. Daily RT of around 35-38?

100% acceptable distance with no ill effects at work. On the weekends I would ride the miles like 60 to 80 a day. Never lost my love affair with the bike luckily.

Components had to be top shelf because I rode rain or shine.

60 miles a day? Hmmmm. Prolly the breaking point, and sustainability would be an issue. The difference between 20 miles and 30 miles is definitely mare marked than 5 to 15 in my experience.

You would have to be addicted to make that reasonable.
Old 02-07-18, 07:43 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
Lon Haldeman used to commute 80 miles each way to his job as bike shop mechanic, so 160 miles total each day. Yes, of course it's possible.
Somewhere I remember reading about a mentally handicapped fellow who rode like 50,000 miles per year. Maybe it wasn't 50,000 but it was a LOT. I think that he lived somewhere in New York State.

Maybe somebody knows how to look that up.
Old 02-07-18, 06:34 PM
rodtrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in Municipal Police station so yeah I can sleep in the office if I want to.
Old 02-07-18, 07:18 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I say the best and only feasible method of doing a commute like that would be in a velomobile.
Old 02-07-18, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
As long as you start early.
I'm Rick James
Old 02-07-18, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
I don't think I could do more than 15 miles (24km) each way on a daily basis, for a work commute. Others can and do ride longer every day, but that's my personal commute limit.
Skrait up
Old 02-08-18, 08:23 AM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
there are plenty of guys that can hold 20-25mph for 50 km without any trouble at all.
Chapeau to them if they can average that speed. In my very urban area (north NJ near NYC) there is plenty of traffic and lights to slow you down. Realistically, I doubt many commuters can do above 20 mph average.
Old 02-08-18, 05:42 PM

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Pete Penseyres (RAAM winner) at one time was reported as having a 120 mile round-trip commute but found it to be too long so he moved and shortened it to 65 miles. Is the OP planning a 100 km one-way or round-trip commute?
Plus fast group rides! Pete was one of my inspirations for long distance.

Also, if the OP is only doing this twice or so per week, then, yes! It's totally doable and I highly recommend that you do.
Old 02-08-18, 06:10 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rodtripoli
I work in Municipal Police station so yeah I can sleep in the office if I want to.
Does Mr. Duterte know about your ability to sleep on the job ?

Is this thread a hoax ?
Old 02-13-18, 01:13 PM

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Hang a 750W BaFang mid-drive on her, get a great battery and a better charger and you can get to work and home every day on her.
Old 02-19-18, 07:59 PM

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 479 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Sounds like the usual RAGBRAI weather to me. Iowa summer, ~100km per day.
Dreaming man, just dreaming about it now

If @rodtripoli gets back to us again and tries it that would be fantastic. Could we get a map of the route? I thought about it, and if it's a flat ride with little wind it's not so bad.

I was thinking I could probably do this daily. If, I was single AND, it was an eight hour desk job.
3 hours to commute, followed by eight hours of rest and carbo loading, then 3 hours back home.

That leaves you with an hour to shower and eat, eight hours of sleep, then an hour in the morning for breakfast.

Sounds ridiculous, but I work construction and put in mandatory ten hour days (very physical) throughout the summer and often go on a 17 mile ride after work for an hour. Ten hours would often turn to eleven or twelve a couple days in the week.

I'd need more discipline in the nutrition area, because I was really burnt out after doing it for three months (riding like crazy and working, doing the daily rides then at least 70 miles across the weekends, a couple centuries a month). I was constantly eating and still struggling to eat enough! By then it was mid October, so it was natural to start tapering off. I felt bad, as towards October I was really Hangry in the mornings! I'd come home at nights and literally stuff my face with whole milk, olives, fish, potato chips. Just pure fat and carb craving.

It got to a point where the wife got serious about me not biking after work a couple times a week

God I can't wait for May

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.