Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I would love input on commuting and light touring

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I would love input on commuting and light touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 10:12 AM
RetroGrouchWrench

Bikes: Schwinn's: World Voyager, Tempo, 754, 594, 2 Travelers, Mesa Runner, and a few cheepies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Hmmmm -- not an exact fit, but getting pretty close!! I've been drooling over this for a couple weeks now: (sorry, don't know how to do linky thingies!) go to peterwhitecycles > tout-terrain bikes (from Ger.) > Silkroad. Structurally integrated stainless rack (and stainless dropouts/brazeons), etc. etc. Very intriguing; either Rohlhoff specific or derailleur geared -- if the latter, looks like this could be built up either as a very light/quick commuter, or as a heavier duty commuter/light tourer -- any configuration, extremely functional.
When I wrote stainless frame I ment the whole frame, stainless lugs are really nice and when I get arround to building a frame thats what I will use, finding a good stainless steel butted tubeset is the tricky part. Suppose this frame could be built for four hundred bucks, 100% stainless, no paint but threaded, reamed and faced and would people buy it?
BTW, forgot to include in my earlier posting, seat post should be a common size say 27.2, narrow Q factor and a bottom bracket hight in the touring bike range.
Old 01-17-07, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by Rural Roadie
When I wrote stainless frame I ment the whole frame, stainless lugs are really nice and when I get arround to building a frame thats what I will use, finding a good stainless steel butted tubeset is the tricky part. Suppose this frame could be built for four hundred bucks, 100% stainless, no paint but threaded, reamed and faced and would people buy it?
BTW, forgot to include in my earlier posting, seat post should be a common size say 27.2, narrow Q factor and a bottom bracket hight in the touring bike range.
Rural Roadie: couldn't agree more! Configuration is down to personal prefs., but yes! all-stainless (or titanium?) would be even better! Don't know much about this -- is it feasible? Is that what the Reynolds 953 (??) tubeset is? "Repairable" in the same way that chromo. is?
Old 01-22-07, 10:36 PM
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been mulling over getting your Windsor Touring for a long time and the Mercier (how is that pronounced by the way?) Galaxy seems to have a lot in common with it for a lower price (sora vs tigra brifters). I would buy a Windsor touring right now if it didn't only come in "PurplishBlue" for the 54cm sizes but I'm sure that's because everyone bought the other colors.

FRAME – aluminum or high-grade steel .. Traditional is the way I would go.

FORK – Anything that doesn't have suspension, though it's a smooth ride I don't like the feel on the road.

STEM – Adjustable Aheadset would be prefered but quill does have it's simplicity factor.

SEATPOST – standard!

GEARS – I use a Single Speed roadie and a converted MTB (Trek 820) for my commutes. I would prefer a road bike with a good range in gears, the Touring and Galaxy offer this.

HUBS – Doesn't matter to much to me.

WHEELS – 700c or 26" depending on the type of bike. Using more common sizes makes it easier to always have tubes and tires available to you.

TIRES – Slick 700x28-32 for a road/touring bike and 26"/1.25-1.75 for MTB

BRAKES – V or Canti

SHIFTER – Road (tiagra or better), though I think bar end shifters are just as good and could reduce the cost of the bike which from what I know you are trying to do.

BARS – Drop bars seem good, I've used TT style bars and been very happy with them too.

As others have said, more pictures of parts of the bikes would be better. I know when I'm shopping bikesdirect (which is where I plan to buy a bike this week) I am always thinking "I wish there was more pics". Pictures of braze ones, bosses, and any other feature would be very usefull.
Old 01-22-07, 11:12 PM
Chief Chef

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Touring, 70s Motobecane Grand Record, Sekai 2500, crappy mountain bike from dumpster, cyclone cycles titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For longer distances, like to my job, my main commuter is a Fuji Touring, which I think is similar to your Windsor Touring. If I had found your site before buying my Fuji I probably would have bought from you instead and saved some money. I put fenders, a Brooks saddle and clipless pedals on it, but the rest is stock. The fenders are the only thing I think most "normal" people would want.

For shorter distances I have been loving my vintage English 3-speed that I recently bought. It's heavy, and the gearing is a little higher than I need, but it is very comfortable to cruise around on at moderate speeds. I think this kind of bike makes more sense than a bike with drop bars for short trips in normal clothes.