Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where Would you live ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where Would you live ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 04:38 PM
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by vinfix
Is that part of Delaware not good for cycling? I thought it was pretty flat, like eastern shore MD. My buddy just moved to Milton, I owe him a visit. Me, I like the Brandywine area, but haven't cycled there.

The Delmarva peninsula is a pretty good area for bicycling, more so for road riding than MUP or off road. It certainly is flat! If one stays away from the beach resorts, there are a lot of rural areas with generally well maintained roads, quite a few of them being chip and seal. Off season, the beach resort areas offer nice, scenic rides. Weekends , especially holiday weekends, are pretty busy all year now. Though it is much better than in the past, there are still a lot of vehicle operators that do not like to share the road with bicyclists. There is so much development, I prefer to call it destruction, we now have traffic issues all year and it is going to keep getting worse. Road construction is becoming a continuous impediment to getting anywhere.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-24-20, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
The Virginia end of the Delmarva peninsula has quiet roads that parallel Route 13 on either side, but it's completely flat. Completely flat might not be to everyone's taste.
Old 02-25-20, 06:53 AM
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Cambodia is quite nice, gravel to the right, road to the left. Mt biking a couple of hours.
Old 02-25-20, 12:51 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Cambodia ?

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicato...ome-per-capita
Old 02-25-20, 05:17 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
If you could live anywhere you wanted in the USA and you wanted to live there primarily for cycling where would it be and why?
I like the San Francisco Bay Area where I can ride over two mountain ranges starting at my home, ride up the coast between descent and ascent, go for short flat rides for before work, and there's a temperate Mediterranean climate.

The Colorado Front Range is nice too with great terrain. I loved being able to climb mountains west of Boulder and go for lunch hour plains rides east. As an alpine desert the snow isn't as bad as people expect, although it gets cold in the winter and warm in the summer.

Maybe the Bay Area in summer and winter, and the Colorado Front Range in fall and spring. I've been spending a long weekend every month in Golden, and should have a frame built with travel couplers.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-27-20 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 07:19 PM
Banned.

Awesome graph

thanks for posting 👍
Old 02-25-20, 07:47 PM

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
There are a few trees here and there.

In the vicinity of Gore Mtn.?
Old 02-25-20, 08:38 PM
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
In the vicinity of Gore Mtn.?
I can see the mountain from our livingroom couch, and ride to the single track at the Ski Bowl in less 4 minutes!
Old 02-26-20, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Pacific Northwest, ideally, in or near a small college town.
Old 02-26-20, 05:08 PM

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

I agree with @Andrey and AdkMtnMonster re: upstate New York - and I'll add Vermont and western Mass. - tons of options for paved, gravel, and MTB riding without having to drive much if at all - quiet roads are easy to find. There's even a groomed fat bike trail system not too far from me.

I like the 4 seasons and the fact that I can't ride year-round - keeps the novelty of bike riding fresh - and provides an opportunity for various forms of snow/ice recreation.
Old 02-26-20, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fair enough. Where in the world would you want to live? There are lots of places on my list of places I'd like to try for a month or two but I'm not sure any ONE spot would make me happy for long.
Unfortunately, the original question did not ask this question, it was about where in the USA would be the best place to live as a cyclist. I have visited many places in the USA where I have enjoyed riding my bike, the Shenandoah valley, Moore county NC, Vermont, and Upper New York, Maine. I would much rather live where I live than move to any of those places. The roads here are much worse, but living here in Montreal is much better
Old 02-26-20, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Rode in upstate NY as a kid and there are a lot of great roads, but I couldn't tolerate winter at this point in my life. So there's no place I'd rather be than north Florida. I can ride for hours on low traffic country roads from the end of my driveway. We don't have enough elevation to satisfy those who love climbing, but the rolling hills are plenty for a casual rider. Some of the roads remind me of those of my youth and perhaps that's part of the reason I like it here.
Old 02-26-20, 06:37 PM
Banned.

Worst thing for riding most bicycles = Winter

Fat bike somewhere that has well kept trails in wintertime may help a bit

for me no winter time locations (which leads to my you need two places to live theory)
Old 02-26-20, 07:15 PM

Fat bike somewhere that has well kept trails in wintertime may help a bit

for me no winter time locations (which leads to my you need two places to live theory)
Not true. Winter off road cycling can be beautiful and guess what? there are other things to do in winter which can actually make you a better summer cyclist
Old 02-26-20, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jon c.
Rode in upstate NY as a kid and there are a lot of great roads, but I couldn't tolerate winter at this point in my life. So there's no place I'd rather be than north Florida. I can ride for hours on low traffic country roads from the end of my driveway. We don't have enough elevation to satisfy those who love climbing, but the rolling hills are plenty for a casual rider. Some of the roads remind me of those of my youth and perhaps that's part of the reason I like it here.
I get that. there are innumerable Canadian Snowbirds who feel the same way. I am not one of them. I love seasons, and am willing to adapt to them. there is more to life than being able to ride my bike every day all year long
Old 02-26-20, 08:41 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's just an opinion not a fact.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-27-20, 12:03 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's just an opinion not a fact.
True
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-27-20, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I agree with @Andrey and AdkMtnMonster re: upstate New York - and I'll add Vermont and western Mass. - tons of options for paved, gravel, and MTB riding without having to drive much if at all - quiet roads are easy to find. There's even a groomed fat bike trail system not too far from me.

I like the 4 seasons and the fact that I can't ride year-round - keeps the novelty of bike riding fresh - and provides an opportunity for various forms of snow/ice recreation.

I've been puzzling over why folks would nominate places with harsh to impossible riding conditions for a good part of the year...
Old 02-27-20, 12:44 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've been here for 36 years and I suppose they'll bury me here.
Old 02-27-20, 03:32 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
I've been puzzling over why folks would nominate places with harsh to impossible riding conditions for a good part of the year...
this
Old 02-27-20, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Heading to Rio de Janeiro in 10 days. Anyone know if I can rent a carbon fiber road bike there?
Old 02-28-20, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sorry, but if I were choosing a location based on cycling, it would not be in the USA
True, Netherlands maybe? I think there are a lot of nice places to explore by bike there!
Old 02-28-20, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Been there done that. Berkeley Ca. The hills and ridges above Berkeley are just fantastic, On the ridge the view is spectacular, its like looking down at a map of Berkeley and Oakland, then you look further and the Bay and the Golden Gate bridge in the distance. Hard climbs with breathtaking ,fast descents. Once over the hills, the climate changes from cool to desert. On the same day you can jump on Bart and you can bicycle in San Francisco. Then go south on highway 1, which is right next to the water and the best coastal highway I have ever been on, just be sure to go early in the morning to avoid traffic.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-28-20, 08:37 AM

Ok - since you're wondering - I don't understand how people can ride bikes year-round without getting bored-to-tears.

Winter is interesting and fun where I live, and it provides a nice break from the warmer weather. But, I will say that with the days getting longer now and the sap starting to run I am looking forward to my first spring ride on quiet dirt roads as the trees start to bud - love it!

'Endless Summer'? No thanks - give me 4 nice strong seasons.
Likes For jlaw:
Old 02-28-20, 09:30 AM
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I will add that in winter some folks do other things... like skiing. I actually prefer cycling in the Spring and Fall seasons because the temp. is not as hot and humid as in the Summer. I do get bored-to-tears and sometimes loose motivation to ride during warmer months (overtaining perhaps).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.