Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Changing the Gearing on my Touring Bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Changing the Gearing on my Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 08:52 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
... is there any need to have a chain keeper the inner-side if I keep the 26 tooth chainring? ...
I automatically put a chain catcher on all my bikes when I built them up. I do not even think about it anymore, when I build up a new bike put one on. My road bike, I bought that as a complete bike instead of building from parts and I added a chain catcher to that too.

Photo is from my rando bike with chain catcher.

Old 06-09-21, 04:52 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulette
I use friction shifting for my triples; thumb-shifters can be had for under $20, though the finish on the $30-50 models are much higher quality.

The chain keeper is mostly (in my experience) helpful when there is a large drop from middle to small ring - the chain can miss the small ring and can be difficult to get unstuck. The first time you wrap a chain around the bottom bracket and frame, you'll wish you had one.

The derailleur might ride high on any non-standard rings. There is a reason Shimano makes several cranks with near perfect 10-tooth steps: the derailleur swings out and over each ring with (relatively) small clearances. That said, from the anecdotes here, and my own experience, it is not a practical problem - at least, for touring.
I haven’t used a chain catcher in ages and I run far larger steps then you will. I have a 46/34/20(!!!!) and don’t regularly drop chains.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-13-21, 11:26 PM

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Shimano makes a 12-36 rear cassette that works well with the 48/36/26 front crank. I made the change from the 11-34 and love it. The 26 granny and 36 rear get me up most hills here in Wales - with luggage!
Old 06-14-21, 06:09 PM
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I haven’t used a chain catcher in ages and I run far larger steps then you will. I have a 46/34/20(!!!!) and don’t regularly drop chains.
Stuart,

What crankset are you using for this? Thanks.
Old 06-14-21, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My Bruce Gordon was designed for touring from the beginning, it has a 46/36/24 on the front, and seven cogs in the rear. I use it as three separate 'ranges.' The 24 gets used with the three largest rear cogs, at which point it overlaps with the middle ring which gets used with the rear gears 2-5. The 46 gets used with the 5-7 on the rear, but the combination of Vermont's terrain and my puny muscles makes that a rare event.
Old 06-14-21, 06:44 PM
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
The thing I like about the 36 tooth middle ring is that I can spend the majority of my ride in that ring...Also, having a low gear of 26/34 is sufficient, even when I'm biking up a hill on a fully loaded touring bike (I like to climb!).
Moneypenny,

My setup is a 42/37/24 triple, with a 13-28 9 speed cassette. I use an Ultegra GS RD, and a CX70 front derailler, which is not spec'd for a triple but works just fine. With this setup, I ride primarily in the middle/37 ring.

The cassette is a modified Shimano HG-50 13-25. As stock, it has 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25. I remove the 14 and add a Miche 28T at the back, for 13-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28. I do most of my riding in 15-16-17, one-tooth steps, very comfortable. The 37-28 is low enough for most of my riding, but when I hit the occasional killer hill, I have a lowest gear of 24-28. Works every time!

I use 42 big ring and the 13 first position cog to pedal downhill. That is plenty high for me.

What matters most to me is comfortable steps between gears, and this setup works for that. I have ten usable, sequential steps, plus the granny. If you're wondering why I have a 37T middle ring rather than the more-common 36 or 38, it was on sale at Harris Cyclery one day while I was in. I would have preferred a 38T, but they were sold out! When/if it wears out I will replace it with a 38T. I like TA chainrings, available in every size and BCD.

All best.

Last edited by BCDrums; 06-14-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-14-21, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Stuart,

What crankset are you using for this? Thanks.
I have a couple of Race Face 94/58 BCD cranks from the late 90s that take 20 tooth inners. Those are on my nonShimano (i.e. no Shimano allowed) mountain bikes. On my touring bike and another mountain bike I have 104/64 XT Hollowtech II. I’ve modified the inner ring by filing away some of the post material to fit a 20 tooth inner. Here’s a video I used (not mine) to modify the crank

Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-15-21, 06:31 AM
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
What is your goal in changing the big ring? You want to get out of the middle ring and spend more time in the big ring?

I have 26/36/48 rings, and don't use the tallest 1/2 of the gears in the big ring, but I have all the gears I need.
Old 06-17-21, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
My current setup is 42/36/22....
... I run far larger steps then you will. I have a 46/34/20(!!!!) and don’t regularly drop chains.
That's a silly bet since I could prove that statement wrong today. But even more to the point, your "extreme" setup of 34-20 has a step of 14 teeth, exactly the same as my current setup of 36-22 = 14. Furthermore, a chain catcher is cheap, weighs less than an ounce, and is readily available -- suggesting that many cyclists still find them useful, including some of the respondents in this thread.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I automatically put a chain catcher on all my bikes...
Old 06-17-21, 04:56 PM

That's a silly bet since I could prove that statement wrong today. But even more to the point, your "extreme" setup of 34-20 has a step of 14 teeth, exactly the same as my current setup of 36-22 = 14.
I just checked and I was mistaken. I’m using a 36 tooth middle with a 48 tooth outer. 16 tooth difference between inner and middle. 28 tooth difference overall. Shimano says that Sora only has a 20 tooth capacity. It also say that it should only handle an 11 tooth difference from large to middle. Shimano is always too conservative in what their derailers will do. All this is paired with an 11-36 9 speed cassette. I’m pushing the limits of both the front and rear derailers with a 119” to 15” gear range (785%). It’s more than you can buy off the peg by a lot. And it took a fair amount of thought to make it all work…modifying the crank, installing a Wolftooth Road Link so that the XTR 9 speed rear derailer has the proper range, and just getting hands on an 11-36 cassette.

And all this is while using indexed STI shifters.

Furthermore, a chain catcher is cheap, weighs less than an ounce, and is readily available -- suggesting that many cyclists still find them useful, including some of the respondents in this thread.
I’m not saying that they are completely useless but I haven’t needed one for ages…my derailers are adjusted properly.

Old 06-17-21, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
…my derailers are adjusted properly.
Implying that everyone else is improperly adjusting theirs? Guess I'll just stop discussing these matters with you...