Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Struggling..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 02:42 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Meditation helped me.

I slacked off though ... as my posting history shows.
Transcendental Orneriness is a thing.
Old 09-05-18, 06:33 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I'm not sure my example would help, but my mom's might.

Here's my mom's method, which echoes some recommendations cited in Joel Spitzer's "Why Quit" site:
  • Quit smoking and drinking, cold turkey. No tapering. (Assuming the alcoholism isn't so severe that delirium tremens is a risk, in which case the individual should go into supervised rehab.)
  • Break the patterns. Avoid any behaviors and environment associated with drinking and/or smoking, particularly all places and people who smoke or drink. You may eventually be able to tolerate these exposures, but it's essential to avoid them for a year or longer. This is where most addicts fail. They get too close to reminders of drinking and smoking, which triggers the urge again.
  • Find something else to keep busy, preferably an environment and activity free from any previous association with smoking and drinking: exercise; volunteer work; a new hobby. If the person was accustomed to smoking while watching TV, it's probably better to avoid watching TV for awhile.
  • Do something else. Read a book. Watch TV or movies from a tablet in a different room, rather than sitting on the sofa in front of the TV.
  • Try acupuncture, acupressure, chiropractic, yoga, etc. Does it really work? Who cares? The human mind is malleable and subject to suggestion. If we believe a thing works, it works. That's good enough for purposes of changing behaviors and habits.
  • Avoid situations that have caused stress in the past. Stress often prompts the urge to resume smoking and/or drinking.
  • Try Wellbutrin or generic bupropion. It's much less expensive than Chantix, shown to be effective in reducing cravings, and the cost may be subsidized through various programs making it very affordable or free for some folks.
  • Take vitamins and supplements daily. Doesn't need to be fancy or expensive. What's the point? To remind yourself that you're changing the patterns toward something healthy. If the supplements actually help, so much the better. The important thing is the daily ritual.

My mom quit drinking and smoking cold turkey at the same time after realizing she was drinking and smoking way too much in grad school. She was doing fine in school, but killing herself to cope with the stress. She checked herself into rehab for a couple of weeks, and never relapsed.

To me that was an incredible accomplishment. I remember my mom being such an obnoxious, self-centered smoker that she wouldn't put out a cigarette for anyone under any conditions, no matter how much they complained. Even on the car ride home from the hospital after I had my tonsils out as a teenager she wouldn't stop smoking just for the 30 minute ride home. Everyone else in the car was fussing at her to put it out, and my throat was in agony. But she refused to stop. Her drinking wasn't quite that bad, but she could be an obnoxious drunk at times. I forgave all of that obnoxiousness when she was finally able to quit cold turkey at age 50. Probably helped that I wouldn't hang around her until she quit. She was always a very loyal mom, and it stung when her own kids wouldn't spend time with her until she changed.

I quit cold turkey 20 years ago and never relapsed. But I'm not sure I was really addicted. I enjoyed smoking, especially good cigars. But I never really missed tobacco after I quit. The circumstances and timing might have been a factor. I quit one winter when I had bronchitis and pneumonia. Took longer than expected to recover. The thought of smoking was not appealing during that time. After I got better I never had the urge again.

I've tried vaping CBD a few times this year because I heard it was more effective. I was a little worried the smoking urge would return, but it hasn't. I don't really enjoy vaping and can't say I noticed any difference anyway. CBD is very subtle anyway and mostly seems to help reduce my nausea (severe thyroid condition and I'm being re-evaluated for cancer -- they can't seem to decide based on the biopsy, imaging, etc.). I was losing too much weight too quickly, in part because of gagging from the swollen thyroid restricting my esophagus and making swallowing uncomfortable. Feels like a gigantic pill is stuck halfway down my throat all the time. Sublingual CBD seems to help. Can't say that CBD has helped with the pain or any other issues, but the science is sketchy for CBD other than some medical research papers confirming it's useful for relieving nausea (although THC is better), relieving some seizure disorders, and some mild anxiety relief.

But some folks say vaping CBD helps them stop smoking and drinking. That's great if it does. Even if it's a placebo effect, there's nothing wrong with that if it has the desired result.

Keep in mind that right now CBD is very expensive so it's just substituting one expense for another, which may not be a factor for everyone. But CBD prices are likely to drop soon, while alcohol will always be taxed as much as people will tolerate and tobacco is being taxed out of reach of most people.
Old 09-05-18, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
CBD does help with mild anxiety, that I can personally confirm.
Old 09-06-18, 04:42 PM

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Vaping indeed! It is far, far less harmful than smoking. I used to smoke two packs a day and as soon as i got a decent battery and reservoir I was able to quite very easy. I am very lucky that vaping is available in our time. After quiting for 5 years I got a mountain bike. A year later a gravel bike then a road bike.
vaping my friend. It is fantastic, super duper fantastic! It really, really does work, i promise.
Old 09-08-18, 08:42 AM
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Congrats on having the staying power.

Just after sunset on 8 April 2016, I smoked the 20th cigarette of the second pack for the day, only to find out that I had just run out of cigarettes. The shop was just a couple of blocks away, but I knew - I just knew - it was time: at that moment, I decided I wasn't about to get up and make my way to the shop just to buy more cigarettes! And that, as they say, was the end of that.

I was cleaning out my car a few months ago when I found a brand new, wrapped pack of Gauloises Blondes buried under all kinds of odds and ends in the center console compartment. I must say that the temp was almost too strong, but the sense of victory I had as I threw it out along with the rest of the garbage was just unbeatable.

You can do it, too.