Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sheared this Regina freewheel. Now what do I do?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sheared this Regina freewheel. Now what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Steve, It’s funny you say that, all my bikes , except for one , have Campagnolo skewers . I will have to see if the tool I have will thread on to the other bike with Superbe / Sunshine skewer. Hmmm. This is my favorite FW tool though. I only have a couple of Regina FW’s , most are SunTour and take a different tool. Glad to see Rob got the stuck FW off the hub , but man , he had to work for it!
a bit of reach for the grinder first, plan after the move had been made. I think all the cogs could have been retained, the backside two could be a problem, but nothing Pastor Bob could not solve.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-22-23, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,291 Posts
I dunno , to each their own I guess. I kind of like the way the threaded tool works . I have other tools for other FW's and , yes , using the skewer nut works . I just like the way this tool works even though most of my bikes don't require it. So it goes with tools . I have different , seemingly redundant , tools for different situations and they all have their place in my cave! The FW tools , along with various Campy and Sugino tools , came to me years ago from a retired racer who gave me boxes of his old racing stuff when I bought a set of wheels from him. They come in handy from time to time.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-22-23, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,196 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As for why the idea wasn't more widely used... I don't see the benefit to it. The swaged-on threaded portion just replaces the QR nut that you probably already have in your hand when you pulled the QR out of the hub.
I suppose. Just seems like it would be more seucre being built into the tool. That said, I reckon it wouldn't justify the added complexity/expense to make.
Old 12-22-23, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1833 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,589 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
I suppose. Just seems like it would be more seucre being built into the tool. That said, I reckon it wouldn't justify the added complexity/expense to make.
.. and don't forget the need to accommodate different QR threadings! The bike world never makes things easy.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy: