Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Colleges with Established Cycling Teams?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Colleges with Established Cycling Teams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 07:23 PM

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinky
Dtrain - MIT is good, decent mens team, very good womens team, and decently supported (they've got a coach and they get a great deal of publicity for their wind tunnel) but there are better programs.

To be honest, prolly the best way to get a handle on the best cycling schools are to look at the team ominum winners for the past few nationals. You'll see a few trends.
In the northeast UVM and Dartmouth have the two big ass programs, with UNH and Penn State growing every season (I'd expect them to be on the same page soon). MIT, Harvard, BU, Tufts and Princeton have decent teams- Harvard has a ****eload of support (to be expected).
Here's the deal with MIT. You can have a social life, get good grades, and plenty of sleep. Pick two. Actually it isn't that bad. However, it's a very intense place and if you want to live and breathe cycling, race a ton, and get good grades and have some of these other things, it will take a lot of focus and discipline. At some other places, it won't take as much effort to fit everything in. If you've been in the Army for a while, you may already be used to the kind of intensity I'm talking about. I went to MIT for both undergrad and my PhD, so you're welcome to PM me if you'd like more info. or if anyone else does for that matter. I wasn't riding back then, but I was studying piano very seriously and would have to do crazy stuff to fit in my practice time - like being in the music room from 11pm-1am so I could get a decent piano to play on and still get my homework done.
Old 05-18-06, 09:18 PM

Bikes: 2004 Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to college for an education, then worry about riding. If the school you choose doesn't have a NCCA team, you can ride for another club or team or start a club. If they have a club, you might want to ride for another team anyways.

As for the D1 and D2 difference, they do participate in the same races (at least in CO) but it is pretty clear that most of the 'A' riders (or at least the good riders) are from D1 teams. In the NCCA, coaches and riders decide who rides the A, B and C categories, so it isn't as strict as the USCF categories.
I'm told that A=1/2, B= 3/4, and C=4/5. No D's in Colorado but I've only done a few C races and can't compare. Besides, in CO, we have the ACA, so things might be different already.
Old 05-18-06, 09:20 PM
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to CSU, I'll be there this fall.
Old 05-18-06, 11:15 PM
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Go Bears!

(BA, History, '89)
BA, CS '05.
Old 05-19-06, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
Here's the deal with MIT. You can have a social life, get good grades, and plenty of sleep. Pick two. Actually it isn't that bad.
BAH! You can sleep when you're dead! Party on!!!
Old 05-19-06, 07:19 AM
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if snuffleupagus played, say, soccer, and, after 4-years in the army, wanted to play college ball, he'd have to 'walk on' and hope to win a place in competitive tryouts... and at the larger schools with bigger programs, just getting the opportunity to tryout as a walk-on would be tough...

just curious as to how would it work on the cycling teams at some of the schools mentioned in this thread?
Old 05-19-06, 08:00 AM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
barca,

Yeah?

Have you gotten the cycling team info? What category are you planning on racing. CSU is I think the most well-represented team on Bike Forums with 2 members. CU may have us beat though, I dunno.

Last edited by jbhowat; 05-19-06 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 08:05 AM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ostuni
if snuffleupagus played, say, soccer, and, after 4-years in the army, wanted to play college ball, he'd have to 'walk on' and hope to win a place in competitive tryouts... and at the larger schools with bigger programs, just getting the opportunity to tryout as a walk-on would be tough...

just curious as to how would it work on the cycling teams at some of the schools mentioned in this thread?

There are no try-outs for collegiate cycling. Everyone is welcome to race for the team. In some parts of the country there is D category for total beginners, which is probably going to be easier than cat 5 in the same area. C's is like cat 4/5. If you can do well in C's, you will be in the field for cat 4 in your area most likely.

Of course if you go to a better cycling school you may not make the nationals squad - which has limited positions and is determined by your ability and race results during the season. AFAIK al of the conferences now have an unlimited number of people in each category. RMCCC used to limit the number to like 8 or something, but they just got rid of that rule so now if there are 50 A riders on your team you can all race for points.
Old 05-19-06, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Arnold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are planning on majoring in biology or one of the similar life sciences then I would suggest UCSD. While they haven't cleaned up too many national cycling titles they do have a good team and the surrounding area is ripe with good cycling teams and a great cycling community. The local terrain and weather make it one of the finest places to train. Not to mention they are also right on the beach so other college activities, like scoping the babes, is pretty good. But since your education should be your prime focus, UCSD is one of the top schools for life sciences in the country.

good luck either way
Old 05-19-06, 08:43 AM
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhowat
There are no try-outs for collegiate cycling. Everyone is welcome to race for the team....
that's it: i'm gonna dust off my straw hat, take my 'joe college' sweater out of mothballs, get the beer mug collection out of the attic, steal a friend's car, and head off to do college again!
Old 05-19-06, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinokurtov
UC Davis, where Max Testa works.
And don't forget Eric Heiden. There's a doctor who knows a little about bike riding.
Old 05-19-06, 12:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another east-coast school would be Penn State.
Old 05-19-06, 01:32 PM
2oz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking to stay in NC, and to put your riding ahead of your preferred major, Lees-Mcrae is what you want. It's a small liberal arts college that treats its cycling program like a varsity sport. Just look at their results from nationals. Failing that, App State. I'm sure they have a decent biology program, and the campus will put you right in the mountains, perfect for the training rides (Lees-Mcrae is also only a 30 min drive or so from ASU, so the two are interchangeable in terms of training ground). If Biology is a major focus for you, I'd say NCSU. They have a great Biology program, and a solid team that's produced a number of great riders.

Within NC those are your only major options. Wake Forest has a relatively new team, UNC's is barely existant, and so is Duke's (but I think if you were considering Duke, you wouldn't really be consulting us)
Old 05-19-06, 07:52 PM
Chelsea FC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbhowat
barca,

Yeah?

Have you gotten the cycling team info? What category are you planning on racing. CSU is I think the most well-represented team on Bike Forums with 2 members. CU may have us beat though, I dunno.
Well, now there's 3. How about we make it 4??
Old 05-19-06, 08:31 PM
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2oz
(but I think if you were considering Duke, you wouldn't really be consulting us)
Jersey South?

No thanks
Old 05-21-06, 05:37 PM
You only YOLO once

Bikes: Merica

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ~shadowfax~
Indiana University, plus you got the Little 500 (watch Breaking Away) and Major Taylor Velodrome is near by.
Here's another vote for IU. Good Biology program, just built a new science building, and the cycling is redonk. I got my BS in bio there ('04) and loved it.
Old 05-21-06, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IU, University of Wisconsin, Marian College, Michigan, Ohio State
Old 05-25-06, 10:48 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 695 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Another thing to consider is proximity to a Velodrome. More opportunities to diversify racing and training.
That's true. UCLA has quite a large team and is near the ADT Velodrome and Encino Velodrome. I also see Stanford riders at the San Jose Velodrome sometimes.
Old 05-25-06, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2005 Specialized Langster, 1991 Specialized Allez Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll recommend U. of Maryland (College Park, MD) and Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA). Both schools are generally pretty good in the sciences and have cycling teams.

Maryland is in a large metropolitan area (DC/Baltimore) with a pretty strong racing scene, and Virginia Tech is basically in the middle of nowhere (Appalachian Mountains) with lots of beautiful scenery and good riding, too.

Maryland: https://www.marylandcycling.com/

VA Tech: https://www.cycling.org.vt.edu/
Old 05-25-06, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I also see Stanford riders at the San Jose Velodrome sometimes.
You can always tell a stanfurd man. But you can't tell him much.
Old 05-25-06, 07:57 PM
RacingBear

Old 05-25-06, 11:55 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 695 Posts
lmao I almost went there but changed my major from engineering to music shortly before applying to schools. Not sure if I would have gotten in, though. I hear they accept applications by throwing a stack of them down a flight of stairs and picking the one that reaches the lowest step!
Old 05-26-06, 12:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Penn State has a frist rate team and a damn good reputation. They do a lot of tack cycling too.
Old 02-20-07, 11:32 PM
GO KINGS!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VosBike
I'm so pumped to be completly outclassed.
I pump myself up for this everyday
Old 02-20-07, 11:41 PM
RacingBear

Originally Posted by urbanknight
lmao I almost went there but changed my major from engineering to music shortly before applying to schools. Not sure if I would have gotten in, though. I hear they accept applications by throwing a stack of them down a flight of stairs and picking the one that reaches the lowest step!
Sounds about right.

Anyway Snuff which one did you go with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.