Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best grease for threading freewheel to hub?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best grease for threading freewheel to hub?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I'd reach for the copper ease grease which is a conventional lithium soap with added copper particles normally, but freewheel to hub might involve tightening brass or bronze down onto aluminium, and the copper might cause the components to bind rather than separate freely. So I'd just use normal lithium grease. Or just oil.
Old 09-04-21, 01:20 PM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by aland2
I'd reach for the copper ease grease which is a conventional lithium soap with added copper particles normally, but freewheel to hub might involve tightening brass or bronze down onto aluminium, and the copper might cause the components to bind rather than separate freely. So I'd just use normal lithium grease. Or just oil.
The copper is micro-fine and perfect for brass/bronze to aluminum connections to prevent galling, seizing and corrosion.
Old 09-04-21, 01:57 PM
two wheels only

Bikes: A bunch, ranging from a '60s Carlton Flyer to a 2015 S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Galling is the problem to be avoided when screwing a steel threaded freewheel onto an aluminum hub and anti-seize compound is the right stuff to use to prevent galling. I use a Permetex compound purchased from the local auto parts store. A small tube lasts just about forever.
Old 09-04-21, 04:06 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Always Permatex Anti-seize. Period. End of thread.
Old 09-04-21, 04:32 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4811 Post(s)
Liked 3,939 Times in 2,561 Posts
If you use liberal amounts of marine grease (the stuff for boat trailer hubs found at any auto parts store), removal will be a little tougher simply because the stuff is viscous, but nothing will change over your lifetime. I keep an open tub at my workbench to encourage its use.
Old 01-24-23, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KenNC
I've been working on an early 80s tandem, and FINALLY got the freewheel off the Atom drum brake rear hub. Don't want to deal with that again, or pass that problem on to a future owner. I always grease the hub and freewheel before spinning them on, but haven't given much thought to the grease I use--whatever I've been using in bottom brackets. I'd be interested in hearing if there are any best practices out there that I am overlooking.
FReewheel hub? no bent axles? Well if you insist, I like using a heavy duty auto approved grease like the easily available red Walmart Supertech ngli 2 bearing grease. Won't break down, and real durable even in hot weather, won't thin out. Freewheels on tandem will always get super tight, think of the dual rider power! Maybe change to other freewheel periodically for service or gearing change, and that keeps it from getting crazy tight with the wokload of use
Old 01-24-23, 07:08 AM

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 522 Posts
As stated above: Permatex Anti-seize. A 1 oz. tube doesn't cost much and will last a long time. I use it for freewheels on my bikes, spark plugs and lug nuts on my vehicles. I use an old toothbrush to make sure it goes into the threads.
https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...ubricant-1-oz/
Old 01-24-23, 08:08 AM

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Over thinking a problem a while back, I was wondering if the high pressure additives in automotive/marine grease etc. might contribute to electrolytic corrosion when used on seatposts and stems.
Not a bad thought that also occurred to me. I recall when our Shell lubricant distributor convinced us to move to the super high pressure greases for some applications in the plant, the new additives being divalent metal salts and salt being the last thing I wanted anywhere around my spiffy Dura Ace seat posts.
Old 01-24-23, 08:17 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I use "Super Lube" grease. Not only do I have access to as much as I want, it works great on just about anything.

I own a design/manufacturing facility, and I have to specify down to the last "ingredient" what is used in one of our designs for military contracts. I was using Phil's to lubricate the steel on steel on an optical interface unit (because that is what I had on hand during the prototype/submission phase) so the initial shipment was spec'd for the stuff. The end user (US Army) was like "what is that?" so I then spec'd Super Lube. After years of Super Lube we have found that it is truly a fantastic product under real world conditions.

Grease is grease..................to a point.
Who makes Super Lube, and what is the part number?